AMEX Insurance through the Platinum Card

Cruzin Terri

7 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

I wouldn't take the word of an Amex Plat *travel agent* about the specific Terms & Conditions of the *insurance*.  I'd call someone specifically about the insurance.

There are just too many times a phone rep gives an answer, and may even state that they are "certain", when... they are wrong.  This is especially likely for questions that are relatively uncommon.

I spoke to a regular platinum customer service rep, someone from the travel department and someone from the travel insurance department. It really doesn't matter who says what if I don't have the policy in writing somewhere - and I wasn't able to get anything specific in writing from any of those people.  I was only able to get links to my general platinum benefits (which, btw, say nothing about travel insurance coverage). 

ETA - it's still a strange policy, given that a cruise ship should fall into the common carrier category.

Edited by momofmab

Just now, momofmab said:

So would train or bus count? I'm guessing the "common carrier" refers to multi-person methods of transport?

The terms are that one must pay for any common carrier with the Amex Plat card.  It doesn't specify how many different common carriers one must use!  Just that common carriers must be paid for using the Amex Plat card.

Otherwise... Oops... we didn't take a train...!!! 😡

GC

There is a definition of "common carrier" in the T&C - "Any land, water, or air conveyance operating under a valid license for the transportation of passengers for hire and for which a ticket must be purchased prior to commencement of travel. CC does not include taxis, limousine services, commuter rail or commuter bus lines, personal automobiles, or rental vehicles,"

Maybe that's the issue - whether or not a cruise line is a "common carrier"? Is our booking contract a "ticket"? 

Seems like we are all over the place and getting all different answers because we're asking a lot of different questions.

Regarding sticking with third party insurance - sure - great if you don't mind spending an additional 10% (for one of my cruises, I was quoted $7000 for insurance! but most are about $2000) and yes, no quibbling if you do that.  But one of the reasons I decided to upgrade to the AmEx platinum was the availability of embedded coverage. 

7 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

To be clear, an UBER or taxi is NOT a common carrier.

Terri

I don't think this is correct.

I just looked it up in several different sources, and all state outright that a taxi (and Uber, where mentioned) IS a common carrier.

Indeed, the definition:

"A common carrier is a person or a commercial enterprise that transports passengers or goods for a fee and establishes that their service is open to the general public. Typical examples of common carriers include, a shipowner, railroad, airline, taxi service, etc."

[emphasis in original]

ETA: Apparently Amex's definition does NOT include taxis, etc.!

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

1 minute ago, judy marlborough said:

There is a definition of "common carrier" in the T&C - "Any land, water, or air conveyance operating under a valid license for the transportation of passengers for hire and for which a ticket must be purchased prior to commencement of travel. CC does not include taxis, limousine services, commuter rail or commuter bus lines, personal automobiles, or rental vehicles,"

Maybe that's the issue - whether or not a cruise line is a "common carrier"? Is our booking contract a "ticket"? 

Seems like we are all over the place and getting all different answers because we're asking a lot of different questions.

Regarding sticking with third party insurance - sure - great if you don't mind spending an additional 10% (for one of my cruises, I was quoted $7000 for insurance! but most are about $2000) and yes, no quibbling if you do that.  But one of the reasons I decided to upgrade to the AmEx platinum was the availability of embedded coverage. 

If you are a Costco member you can get their insurance at a very reasonable rate even if you do not book your cruise through them.  Just call the number and they will help you.  It costs 6.5% of the cruise fare.  Very reasonable.

1 minute ago, judy marlborough said:

It sounds like it is.  I'd be hesitant to take the word of any random phone agent because none of that matters if I have a claim and they won't cover it. What you posted seems to say it in writing. I will look that up via my account and call them again.

I have a copy of both policies/Terms&Conditions, one for Trip Delay, the other for Cancellation.

I also spoke with an AIG rep; they do the Amex travel insurance.

But before I got to them... the Amex Plat rep was all too eager to give me answers... turned out that it was NOT for regular "travel insurance" but for lost baggage.

Duh!

I never mentioned anything about baggage, only "travel insurance".  As I wrote above, the reps can be so helpful, but not in an actual "helpful" way!

They do NOT consider taxis to be common carriers.

There is NO need to use airlines; a cruise ship is a common carrier.  So drive to the port.  Take a taxi to the port!  The AIG coverage doesn't start until you are on the common carrier.... just like if you take a taxi to the airport (!).

You can fly one way and cruise the other way, as long as all of it is paid using the Amex Plat card.

It's pretty much exactly as one would expect, except about taxis/Ubers.

No funny business about needing to fly to the cruise or whatever.

But yes, it does need to be ROUND TRIP and paid using the Amex Plat card.  (I didn't ask what if one uses the Amex Plat card for part, and a different Amex card for another part, but we just use the Amex Plat anyway.)

They do not cover any medical expenses.

I'm going to read the policies now.  (I like reading technical things.  Really.)

GC

18 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

There is NO need to use airlines; a cruise ship is a common carrier.  So drive to the port.

Thank you for this info - I will call again and keep escalating until I get that answer. Did AmEx send you a copy of the policy or AIG?

1 hour ago, momofmab said:

Thank you for this info - I will call again and keep escalating until I get that answer. Did AmEx send you a copy of the policy or AIG?

Amex Plat customer service kept wanting to deal with insurance for *baggage*!

(I'm surprised that "baggage" is separate from the rest of the travel coverage, but ... "whatever", and I wasn't at all sure how correct that rep was anyway.)

Finally. the rep mentioned that AIG actually "does" the insuring for Amex Plat policies, so I asked how to reach the AIG group that specifically handles the Amex policies.  At that point (finally!), the rep offered to connect me.  Uh, "Yes, please!" 😉 

And at my first request, the AIG rep sent me copies of the polices, which are separate for trip cancellation and for travel delays.  Two separate documents.

At that point, I explained that "there is a group of us who are arguing about what is or is not covered..." , etc., and that I'd like to ask specific questions AFTER he sent the policies.  By that time (that is, very quickly!), I looked at my email inbox, and ... there was the information from AIG. Nice!

That's when I started asking about "needing to fly" vs. "taking a taxi" (or Uber), and also about flying one way and sailing the other, and a few other specifics.

Every single question was answered in a way that ==>> actually made sense!

That means, things like, "Sure, of course you can take a taxi or Uber, but you won't be covered during that part of the trip".  [Note:  If one had 3rd party travel insurance, on is typically, in the USA at least, covered from the moment you walk out your door until you arrive back home again.  So if one is in a taxi but delayed by a nasty traffic accident - hopefully the accident itself affects others! - the insurance is still covering you in terms of timing, etc.]

And things like, "No, you don't have to be traveling by air; the cruise is a common carrier."

There was frequent reminding of the "it must be covered as a round trip" and paid with "the card".

And as a reminder, no coverage for actual medical care.

That alone rules out this coverage, for us, anyway.

Note that when I was transferred, I was connected to an AIG rep who appeared to deal specifically with Amex Plat (or are other Amex cards also covered? I didn't ask) members and their AIG coverage.  He already had my information, which was fine.  I didn't have to go through all of the verification *again*. [I'm all in favor of security, but once I've been "verified as me", I really dislike not having that fact passed to "each of the next reps", etc., and they all the questions start over as if I'm an incoming cold call...  However, better safe than sorry, etc.]

The AIG rep was among the more polite and efficient "customer service" reps I've encountered recently. 🙂 

That was a very nice surprise!

GC

• Like 1

On 9/12/2024 at 9:09 AM, Cruzin Terri said:

If you are a Costco member you can get their insurance at a very reasonable rate even if you do not book your cruise through them.  Just call the number and they will help you.  It costs 6.5% of the cruise fare.  Very reasonable.

That'd even out if one used the insurance 1 out of 15 trips.  Up to each person if they feel it's reasonable.  To me, I'll keep self-insuring.