First timer on the Valiant Lady

TotesMcGotes

Hi all!  I will be going on my first ever cruise on the VL in July 2024 for my birthday.  Funny enough, I've paid for a cruise (for my mom's 50th birthday a few years back) but I've never been on one.  I will be going on the trip with a few friends, and sharing a cabin with one of them.  When do I let Virgin know the bed in the cabin will need to be separated.  Is this something I would tell the room attendant once on board?

Also, when signing up for a check-in time at the terminal.  Is it like airlines where check-in opens up 24 hours before, then you go into the app to pick your time slot?  What usually is the earliest time you can check-in and get on the ship.  We plan to fly in the night before, and I want to know the earliest I can leave the hotel to make my way to the terminal.

Lastly, from what I've been reading, I would only be able to make reservations for restaurants, sign up for fitness classes, etc. once on board and connected to the ship's wifi?

I think you can have it noted that you want the beds separated, but even if they aren't when you show up the room steward can fix that.  Just be aware that it is not the traditional separation, but rather the beds will be in an L shape.  Thusly, you will be sleeping head to head, foot to foot or head to foot.

I'm not sure of the exact timing of the check in, but it is certainly far earlier than 24 hrs.  I would check immediately after booking and then if it isn't open at that, keep checking back periodically.

Restaurant reservations open 45 days prior to sailing (unless you are in a Rockstar suite, in which case 60 days prior).  I highly recommend making them as soon as you are able.  Fitness classes, spa treatments and shows cannot be booked until connected to the ship wifi.  

9 hours ago, TotesMcGotes said:

Lastly, from what I've been reading, I would only be able to make reservations for restaurants, sign up for fitness classes, etc. once on board and connected to the ship's wifi?

Restaurant reservations can be booked via Virgin's app 45 days out (sooner for Rockstar suites I think). Restaurant booking dates will show up on your app (see the attached example from my upcoming December 13th cruise) and it is strongly recommended you make your reservations as soon as the app allows.  

Shows can only be booked onboard via the ship's wifi.

Happy Birthday.

IMG_3804.jpeg

Edited by raphael360

Check in is available as soon as you are booked, don’t even need to pay in full. Earliest timeslot without rockstar status is usually 2pm, but first to book gets the best times. 

Restaurant reservations can be done 45 days out (60 for rockstar) and more slots open once onboard. Fitness classes and shows you book onboard.

11 hours ago, rebeccac said:

I think you can have it noted that you want the beds separated, but even if they aren't when you show up the room steward can fix that.  Just be aware that it is not the traditional separation, but rather the beds will be in an L shape.  Thusly, you will be sleeping head to head, foot to foot or head to foot.

Restaurant reservations open 45 days prior to sailing (unless you are in a Rockstar suite, in which case 60 days prior).  I highly recommend making them as soon as you are able.  Fitness classes, spa treatments and shows cannot be booked until connected to the ship wifi.  

I saw something briefly about the positioning of the double beds.  Definitely an odd set up, but fine with me.  That's good to know about the fitness classes, etc.  I heard they fill up quickly and there are a couple that I am interested in taking.

7 hours ago, raphael360 said:

Restaurant reservations can be booked via Virgin's app 45 days out (sooner for Rockstar suites I think). Restaurant booking dates will show up on your app (see the attached example from my upcoming December 13th cruise) and it is strongly recommended you make your reservations as soon as the app allows.  

Shows can only be booked onboard via the ship's wifi.

Happy Birthday.

IMG_3804.jpeg

Thank you!

5 hours ago, jon81uk said:

Check in is available as soon as you are booked, don’t even need to pay in full. Earliest timeslot without rockstar status is usually 2pm, but first to book gets the best times. 

Where can I go to see the check-in times.  I've looked online and in the app but could not find anything.

Just know that VV's app could be one of the worst in the industry. When your dining reservations open up, they will do so around midnight ET on the appointed day. Veteran VV cruisers and those who get the tips will know to be up and have the app open at 11:30p ET, or 30 minutes before reservations officially open. The reservations will go live anytime during that 30 minute window. 

When they do, expect the app to freeze and display a white blank screen as it gets overloaded with people booking their reservations. I have heard of people taking hours to get their dining reservations to finally go through. This is where working with a TA really pays off because they can book all your reservations directly in the booking system vs you trying to get through via the app. Just send your wish list of restaurants and dates to your TA and they can hop in there as soon as the reservations open up. 

As others have noted you will be able to book shows and fitness classes once you are onboard and connected to ship WiFi. Note that people will sign up for the free exercise classes and then not show up. If you are really interested in a class, simply show up. If someone is a no-show or they have extra space they'll let you attend the class. We've heard of quite a few people who have been able to attend the 80's fitness class and others this way. 

The app has been a problem child of the cruise line since they launched. The app you use today is about 100% better than the original app we contended with at VV's launch, but still woefully poor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As above...I sent my TA a list of my desired dinner reservations in advance and said that I'd try to do it and contact her if there was a problem.  I got 3 or 4 nights done, then the system locked up and nothing I tried helped.  I shot TA a message, and she finished the process, getting everything I asked for within 15 minutes  of my requested times.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

When they do, expect the app to freeze and display a white blank screen as it gets overloaded with people booking their reservations. I have heard of people taking hours to get their dining reservations to finally go through. This is where working with a TA really pays off because they can book all your reservations directly in the booking system vs you trying to get through via the app. Just send your wish list of restaurants and dates to your TA and they can hop in there as soon as the reservations open up. 

Oh, this is good to know!  I did book with a TA who has been great so far.  I will definitely utilize her with the reservations.

• Like 1

I have another question.  I made my initial deposit through the TA and I asked her going forward could I make payments directly on the virgin voyages website.  She said I would have to make payments through her.  However, when I got onto the website, I have an option to make payments.  Would it matter either way to make payments directly on the website, or through the TA?

Edited by TotesMcGotes

10 hours ago, TotesMcGotes said:

I have another question.  I made my initial deposit through the TA and I asked her going forward could I make payments directly on the virgin voyages website.  She said I would have to make payments through her.  However, when I got onto the website, I have an option to make payments.  Would it matter either way to make payments directly on the website, or through the TA?

Makes no difference. I transferred my booking to my First Mate and still made all my payments directly with Virgin. If your First Mate (TA) tells you otherwise treat that as a sign you should be looking for a different First Mate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

Makes no difference. I transferred my booking to my First Mate and still made all my payments directly with Virgin. If your First Mate (TA) tells you otherwise treat that as a sign you should be looking for a different First Mate.

That's good to know. I will keep that in mind.

10 hours ago, rebeccac said:

Virgin is the only cruise line that I know of that does allow you to make direct payments even if you have booked through a TA.  

When I booked my mother's cruise back in 2015 with Carnival.  I used a TA, and I could have sworn I made payments directly on Carnival's website.  But I do not 100% remember.  But now I know with Virgin, this is possible. 

20 hours ago, rebeccac said:

Virgin is the only cruise line that I know of that does allow you to make direct payments even if you have booked through a TA.  

I also found that VV will chat with you directly even though you have a TA.  Never experienced that on other cruiselines.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tbmrt said:

I also found that VV will chat with you directly even though you have a TA.  Never experienced that on other cruiselines.

I found that I could get DCL to talk to me if I called and played like I had a generic question, rather than one tied to a specific booking.  If I gave a booking number, forget it.

Yes, VV shoreside sailor services will talk to you, but don't rely on the information they give you.

• Like 1

Brunch reservations open the same time as all other dining reservations (45 for regular sailors/60 for Rockstars), but usually it is not a problem to get brunch reservations on the ship either if you aren't too picky. 

We did afternoon tea on our first VV cruise in July 2022, and at that time we did not need reservations, we just showed up in the time frame at the Sip bar.  

Edited by rebeccac
  • Like 1

Currently on Valiant Lady.  So far, no problem with walk in for brunch or tea, and no problem with changing dinner reservations (time or restaurant) after boarding.  We do have brunch reservations for our last day.  Tea reservations open only after boarding, but again, walk up is easy.

• Like 2