Better to cruise into or out of Venice

wantocruisemore

yes I know Venice has greatly restricted lagoon access for cruise ships.  But we’re thinking about a Windstar & the Wind Surf still docks at Venice.  Looking at September, 2024.  Thinking it would be better to leave from Venice for better scenery.  Has anyone arrived at Venice by Wind Surf?  And if so, was arrival during a time you could enjoy the entry scenery!

16 minutes ago, wantocruisemore said:

yes I know Venice has greatly restricted lagoon access for cruise ships.  But we’re thinking about a Windstar & the Wind Surf still docks at Venice.  Looking at September, 2024.  Thinking it would be better to leave from Venice for better scenery.  Has anyone arrived at Venice by Wind Surf?  And if so, was arrival during a time you could enjoy the entry scenery!

I've sailed both into and out of Venice a few years ago. Truthfully I enjoyed both. The morning sail in is quieter and more like a gradual crescendo as you approach. Mornings can be misty depending on time of year and weather conditions.

Sail outs (as long is it is still daylight) are beautiful, a bit more lively onboard and ashore. If you're lucky with a sunny day there is a sort of golden glow that is magical as a contrast to the aqua water.

What time is the scheduled arrival into Venice on the itinerary? The best viewing will be from around an hour before that, generally. Though I also liked watching the approach from afar, transiting through the lagoon.

• Like 1

The itinerary sails out from Venice at 6pm first part October next year or arriving at Venice at 7am on Oct 9.   We’re currently booked on a Viking Istanbul to Athens itinerary end of September next year but having 2d thoughts on Turkey & would like to try Windstar.  Haven’t booked yet, trying to decide what to do.  Viking does a mid October but no longer sails from Venice.  We had to cancel a cruise several years ago out of Venice due to a surgery.  Finally got to visit Venice this past April & loved it!  

I just looked at a chart of sunrise/sunset times for Venice in October. Even by October 1, the sun doesn't rise until just after 7am, by which time you would already be docked. 

Sailing out at 6pm, assuming the ship leaves on time, you should just about be sailing by St. Mark's around sunset.

I'd opt for the latter, I think.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/italy/venice?month=10

• Like 2

Just looked at those cruise itineraries and we would focus more on which itinerary then the in-out of Venice issue.  Like Cruisemom, we have cruised in and out of Venice (several times) and both are about equal.  If you want to enjoy the view you will be awake :).   To be honest, the itinerary we like is the longer 18 day cruise itinerary that departs from Venice.  

Hank

Thanks for the replies.  Looks like some additional friends want to go as well, and the cruises stops are identical.  It’s just dates some start in Rome & end in Venice, while some begin in Venice & end in Rome.

prefer Mid to late September but First of October also ok.