Yellow Fever Vaccination for Caribbean Cruise

CruisingFun2023

We are interested in going the Puerto Rico -> BVI -> Antigua -> Barbados -> St Lucia -> St Maarten -> USVI -> Puerto Rico itinerary. My research shows that proof of yellow fever may be required, for example, from St Lucia to St Maarten. Anyone has experience about this vaccination for Caribbean cruise? We prefer not to get vaccination unless mandatory. Thank you.

https://www.passporthealthusa.com/vaccinations/yellow-fever/

Yellow fever is found in various parts of South America and Africa. Travelers to these regions are advised to receive a yellow fever vaccination before travel to the regions. But, some countries require proof of vaccination for entry or proof if arriving from a country with the virus.

It appears to be based on where you are coming from.  If you are US based you may also check the State Department website as a resource.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, smillerholmes said:

https://www.passporthealthusa.com/vaccinations/yellow-fever/

Yellow fever is found in various parts of South America and Africa. Travelers to these regions are advised to receive a yellow fever vaccination before travel to the regions. But, some countries require proof of vaccination for entry or proof if arriving from a country with the virus.

It appears to be based on where you are coming from.  If you are US based you may also check the State Department website as a resource.

36 minutes ago, davencl said:

It is not mandatory  or recommended in the Caribbean.   It is recommended but not required in some parts of South America.  See the cdc website for details.

Thank you. I did check the government website, but somehow I misread the following document: https://cdn.who.int/media/docs/default-source/travel-and-health/countries-with-risk-of-yellow-fever-transmission.pdf?sfvrsn=bf42ac59_4&download=true. If the first column in the above document is “-”, we don’t need to worry about YF vaccination.

Required proof of yellow fever vaccination is based on both the country you are arriving from and arriving too. The only time I've seen it required was when we went to Tanzania in Africa. If you travel from Kenya to Tanzania you need to have it. If you travel from the US to Tanzania you don't. I've never heard of or seen any mandatory vaccinations for Caribbean cruises. Mosquitos are less common near ocean borders; so typically even if a county has some yellow fever or malaria, coastal areas in those countries are considered clear.