Turkey and Greece in 2024

snorkle lover

11 minutes ago, snorkle lover said:

We are looking at a cruise on the Splendor that starts in Rome and ends in Athens sailing October 2024. So with all that is going on in Middle East should we be concerned about a stop in Turkey??

Nope - because if it is dangerous, Regent won't take you there.

Of course, if Turkey attacks Israel, you won't be going to the Middle East for a very long time so make sure you are properly insured.

• Like 1

I have a cruise booked in August 2024 from Istanbul to Israel, which was booked using credits from the infamous New Zealand hull issues earlier this year.  

My thought was to find a short cruise between two places I wanted to go to with stops in the middle that I didn’t really care about.   Sounded like a good plan.  Between the conflicts in Israel,  the Voyager needing a refresh and StarLink.   I’m going to have to find a different cruise.   😞 

46 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

I have a cruise booked in August 2024 from Istanbul to Israel, which was booked using credits from the infamous New Zealand hull issues earlier this year.  

My thought was to find a short cruise between two places I wanted to go to with stops in the middle that I didn’t really care about.   Sounded like a good plan.  Between the conflicts in Israel,  the Voyager needing a refresh and StarLink.   I’m going to have to find a different cruise.   😞 

How does StarLink affect your decision?  I’m just ending a cruise on Mariner which now has StarLink. They appear to have the basic internet throttled to about 1Mbps but it has been consistent. 

1 minute ago, jeb_bud said:

How does StarLink affect your decision?  I’m just ending a cruise on Mariner which now has StarLink. They appear to have the basic internet throttled to about 1Mbps but it has been consistent. 

I just don't understand Regent sometimes. What is the point of throttling Starlink to 1995 speeds?

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

I just don't understand Regent sometimes. What is the point of throttling Starlink to 1995 speeds?

I don’t know that they’re throttling. It just seems suggestive when every time I run Speed Test I get very similar results. But in answer to your question it would make the up charge for the “streaming service” more attractive. 

2 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

I don’t know that they’re throttling. It just seems suggestive when every time I run Speed Test I get very similar results. But in answer to your question it would make the up charge for the “streaming service” more attractive. 

That is both cheap and disappointing. 

10 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

Mariner(got Starlink, at whatever speed it’s cranking at).  Meaningless, to me, because I’m on Voyager and that won’t get Starlink until well after my cruise.  Mind you, that wasn’t the main reason I need to find a new cruise.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2023 at 6:56 AM, irishwitchy said:

Mariner(got Starlink, at whatever speed it’s cranking at).  Meaningless, to me, because I’m on Voyager and that won’t get Starlink until well after my cruise.  Mind you, that wasn’t the main reason I need to find a new cruise.  

In your original post I read Voyager needing a refresh and Starlink as two separate points, in addition to the regional conflict. In my high school grammar classes the word “and” at the end of a comma-delimited sentence served as a final comma. 

• Haha 1