Advice, thoughts, suggestions

Kalynan

We’re in initial planning for a 6-day Vancouver visit and 2-week B2B Alaska cruise at the end of April 24.

Flight arrives into YVR at 1900hrs on a Tuesday.

Thinking of getting a Vancouver hotel for first night, before hiring a rental car the next day and heading over to Victoria for 2 nights, then returning to Vancouver dropping rental car and 3 night stay in the city.

We’re interested to see a bit of Victoria (gardens, harbour area etc) on Wednesday and then perhaps taking a little driving round trip on Thursday (Port Renfrew, Honeymoon Bay, Duncan).

On Friday take ferry from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay and then up to the Sea to Sky gondola at Squamish, before heading back to Vancouver and return rental car (or alternatively, head up for 1-night stay at Whistler instead, then drive to Vancouver on Saturday morning).

Then Friday/Saturday - Sunday seeing some of the highlights of the city (Stanley park, maybe bike hire, False Creek etc) prior to cruise sail-away at 1700hrs on Monday.

Is this achievable, sensible?  Would welcome all advice, thoughts, suggestions?

TIA

Maybe plan to be flexible if the weather doesn't work out.  Can still be pretty raining late April.  

Eg. The Sea to Sky Gondola is a nice thing to do if the weather is nice but it is kind of pricey.  The wife and I did it for the first time this spring and enjoyed it but we also got to ride it for free for an industry event.  Lots of trails to explore up top but likely not very fun in the rain.  

If you do end up going to Whistler, the Whistler Tourism site occasionally has last minute deals (ie day before/of) for accommodations.  A friend and I booked a last minute room during the fall two years ago and got a nice room, a 10 minute walk from the village for about $100.  YMMV of course.

Sounds reasonable.

I would pre-book the ferry crossing at bcferries.com . If you do it in advance you same a small amount but the critical thing is you end up being assured you don't end up waiting for a spot to open up. 

For the first night I would get a hotel in Richmond.  It will save you a bit of money and will make it easier to get over to the terminal.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kalynan said:

Thanks em-sk, any suggestions for rental cars in Richmond? 

Nearly all the major rental car companies operate out of the airport.  That includes the major north American ones as well as sixtt this is more of a European brand.  You will likely discover your back at the airport for pickup though there are some locations in Richmond proper.  No strong preference.   

Most of the major brands also have downtown Vancouver locations where you could drop off the car.  

Richmond is made up of two main islands.  Sea Island houses the airport. Lulu Island houses most of the city.

Edited by em-sk
  • Thanks 1

Just a thought, but why don't you fly on to Victoria and rent the car there?  That would save you the time, hassle and expense of the first ferry ride.  Mind you, it can be a lovely ferry ride...  Not sure what the conditions would be like in April, though.

I'm no authority on flights from the UK but perhaps it might be less expensive to fly from the UK to, say, Calgary or another city with non stop flights, and then fly domestically from that city to Victoria.  Rent the car, do your touring of Vancouver Island and then take the ferry from Nanaimo as planned.  Whistler is lovely and we did enjoy the Sea to Sky gondola; yes, it was expensive.  I don't need to do it a second time but I'm glad I did it.

Instead of just the 2 of us, we're now looking to persuade another couple to come with us in mid-September next year.

Would our initial itinerary / planning still be ok at this time of year?  

Any alternative suggestions or ideas would be welcomed !!

Weather is still generally good in mid-September with the last of the summer festivals and events happening.  But it's kind of variable in that consistently good weather can last into October or it can start getting showery around mid-September. 

We've also had a lot of forest fires the last few years and it can get somewhat smokey/hazy around Vancouver and Whister (and other parts) depending on fire conditions.  Somewhat random though.  

If you come earlier in September, note that we have a statutory/bank holiday the first Monday in September (Labour Day) so that can be a very busy travel long weekend (eg Ferries).  But also a few of events happening in and around Vancouver. 

There's a bike race from Vancouver to Whistler on Sat Sept 7 (Gran Fondo) that will congest the sea to sky highway to Squamish/Gondola/Whistler northbound.  

• Thanks 1