First Payment

Smitheroo

Is a CruiseFIRST certificate considered to be a "first payment" for a cruise?  It seems to take the place of a deposit.   I notice on my reservation the "total price" of the cruise is not what I will end up paying as the CruiseFIRST certificate doesnt seem to applied at that point. (the amount due is lower, by the amount of the CruiseFIrst certificate)   I'm asking this for travel insurance purposes

5 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Is a CruiseFIRST certificate considered to be a "first payment" for a cruise?  It seems to take the place of a deposit.   I notice on my reservation the "total price" of the cruise is not what I will end up paying as the CruiseFIRST certificate doesnt seem to applied at that point. (the amount due is lower, by the amount of the CruiseFIrst certificate)   I'm asking this for travel insurance purposes

Please check, *before* getting travel insurance, with your travel insurance company or with an agent/broker about this if you are using a cruise certificate/credit as deposit.

The timing of "certificate" might affect how the insurance coverage works, IF there are any deadlines involved.

And please don't rely upon definitive answers here about what would or wouldn't work.  All policies/all insurers are NOT the same, and it also varies by state of residence.

GC

On 11/2/2023 at 8:49 AM, Smitheroo said:

Hi Smitheroo,

Does using a "CruiseFIRST Certificate" give you a confirmed booking?

Steve Dasseos

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2023 at 1:14 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Smitheroo,

Does using a "CruiseFIRST Certificate" give you a confirmed booking?

Steve Dasseos

yes, so there is my answer.  This opens up more questions.   Many people, including myself, need to be able to waive the pre-existing condition clause. And to do that you must purchase insurance within the "sensitive time period", usually within about 2 weeks after booking.  This is fine if your booking isnt way in the future.  Someone pointed out to me on another forum that he doesnt buy "nonrefundable " insurance. That got me thinking.  At first I was looking at Geoblue for medical coverage and that is refundable at any point. It seems once trip cancellation is incuded there is a limit on refundability (called the free look period, usually about 10 days)  I understand why but it does complicate things.

It seems to me that if I book a cruise on say Jan 1 2024 sailing in 2025 and  I want pre-existing condition coverage then I need to buy insurance within the first 2 weeks after booking my cruise.  If it is mostly medical, like GeoBlue, its refundable but I still have to purchase it within 2 weeks to get the pre-existing condition waiver.   With the other type of insurance I also have to purchase it within a short period of time after booking and I get a short free look period but after that its a done deal, even if I cancel my cruise.   Even if I dont care about including a pre-existing condition clause waiver now, it could be a very different story for a cruise 2 years from now. 

So if you go cruise crazy and start booking cruises far in the future using CruiseNext and CruiseFIrst certificates (on NCL) you need to shell out money to pay for the insurance and in the case of trip cancellation you can only get a refund in a short period of time. (so you should be sure about your future bookins or else not worry about losing the money you paid for  nonrefundable insurance)  For the other type, like GeoBlue, your money is tied up for awhile.  If you cancel closer to the cruise you will eventually get this type of insurance cost back.

I have searched dozens of websites and found no mention of a question like this.  Anyone I've asked in person doesnt really have an answer.  Or I might get an answer like "I think you are overthinking it"  Am I?  I think the solution is that you have to not worry about money you wasted on nonrefundable insurance if Insurance was something you couldnt do without if your cruise didnt happen.

Edited by Smitheroo

9 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

yes, so there is my answer.  This opens up more questions.   Many people, including myself, need to be able to waive the pre-existing condition clause. And to do that you must purchase insurance within the "sensitive time period", usually within about 2 weeks after booking.  This is fine if your booking isnt way in the future.  Someone pointed out to me on another forum that he doesnt buy "nonrefundable " insurance. That got me thinking.  At first I was looking at Geoblue for medical coverage and that is refundable at any point. It seems once trip cancellation is incuded there is a limit on refundability (called the free look period, usually about 10 days)  I understand why but it does complicate things.

It seems to me that if I book a cruise on say Jan 1 2024 sailing in 2025 and  I want pre-existing condition coverage then I need to buy insurance within the first 2 weeks after booking my cruise.  If it is mostly medical, like GeoBlue, its refundable but I still have to purchase it within 2 weeks to get the pre-existing condition waiver.   With the other type of insurance I also have to purchase it within a short period of time after booking and I get a short free look period but after that its a done deal, even if I cancel my cruise.   Even if I dont care about including a pre-existing condition clause waiver now, it could be a very different story for a cruise 2 years from now. 

So if you go cruise crazy and start booking cruises far in the future using CruiseNext and CruiseFIrst certificates (on NCL) you need to shell out money to pay for the insurance and in the case of trip cancellation you can only get a refund in a short period of time. (so you should be sure about your future bookins or else not worry about losing the money you paid for  nonrefundable insurance)  For the other type, like GeoBlue, your money is tied up for awhile.  If you cancel closer to the cruise you will eventually get this type of insurance cost back.

I have searched dozens of websites and found no mention of a question like this.  Anyone I've asked in person doesnt really have an answer.  Or I might get an answer like "I think you are overthinking it"  Am I?  I think the solution is that you have to not worry about money you wasted on nonrefundable insurance if Insurance was something you couldnt do without if your cruise didnt happen.

Hi Smitheroo,

> I have searched dozens of websites and found no mention of a question like this.  Anyone I've asked in person doesnt really have an answer.  Or I might get an answer like "I think you are overthinking it"  Am I?  I think the solution is that you have to not worry about money you wasted on nonrefundable insurance if Insurance was something you couldn't do without if your cruise didn't happen.

I will give you the direct and correct answer. What is your specific question?

Steve Dasseos

2 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Smitheroo,

> I have searched dozens of websites and found no mention of a question like this.  Anyone I've asked in person doesnt really have an answer.  Or I might get an answer like "I think you are overthinking it"  Am I?  I think the solution is that you have to not worry about money you wasted on nonrefundable insurance if Insurance was something you couldn't do without if your cruise didn't happen.

I will give you the direct and correct answer. What is your specific question?

Steve Dasseos

My question is, if I book say 6 cruises through 2025 I need to purchase travel insurance for each one within 16-20 days of booking each one ( In order to waive the pre-existing condition clause) and for most insurance plans it is nonrefundable after 10 days.  Some people might have a problem risking that amount of money since even though the cruise may still be refundable the cost for insurance isnt (unless its geoblue) after the 10 day free look period. I guess those people have to book fewer cruises that far in the future and also not mind risking losing the money.   This is all becauses of the pre-existing clause and trying to waive it.  Maybe anyone who is able to book multiple cruises at a time doesnt have a problem losing money on the insurance should they have to cancel the cruises

On 11/16/2023 at 5:38 AM, Smitheroo said:

My question is, if I book say 6 cruises through 2025 I need to purchase travel insurance for each one within 16-20 days of booking each one ( In order to waive the pre-existing condition clause) and for most insurance plans it is nonrefundable after 10 days.  Some people might have a problem risking that amount of money since even though the cruise may still be refundable the cost for insurance isnt (unless its geoblue) after the 10 day free look period. I guess those people have to book fewer cruises that far in the future and also not mind risking losing the money.   This is all becauses of the pre-existing clause and trying to waive it.  Maybe anyone who is able to book multiple cruises at a time doesnt have a problem losing money on the insurance should they have to cancel the cruises

Hi Smitheroo,

I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing your question.

My question is, if I book say 6 cruises through 2025 I need to purchase travel insurance for each one within 16-20 days of booking each one ( In order to waive the pre-existing condition clause) and for most insurance plans it is nonrefundable after 10 days. 

I have one, though: Are these back to back cruises without returning home?

Steve Dasseos

Hi Smitheroo,

I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing your question.

My question is, if I book say 6 cruises through 2025 I need to purchase travel insurance for each one within 16-20 days of booking each one ( In order to waive the pre-existing condition clause) and for most insurance plans it is nonrefundable after 10 days. 

I have one, though: Are these back to back cruises without returning home?

On 11/2/2023 at 9:58 AM, GeezerCouple said:

Please check, *before* getting travel insurance, with your travel insurance company or with an agent/broker about this if you are using a cruise certificate/credit as deposit.

The timing of "certificate" might affect how the insurance coverage works, IF there are any deadlines involved.

And please don't rely upon definitive answers here about what would or wouldn't work.  All policies/all insurers are NOT the same, and it also varies by state of residence.

GC

I think if you use a Cruise First/Next certificate when you make your booking it serves as a deposit so you date of "first Payment" would be that day your first booked the cruise.   Definitely worth checking.   I think I saw *somewhere* considering the pre-existing conditions requirements one requirement was that the date of first payment has to be the first booking for that cruise. This may sound confusing but here's what I did that made this concerning to me:  I booked a cruise using 2 CruiseNEXT certificates.  Then when a cancellation for another cruise I had came through the CruiseFIRST certificate I had used on it was returned after a few days.  So I had to cancel the first booking in other to use the CruiseFIRST certificate (instead of the CruiseNext) which changes "first date of payment".   I plan to use the date I first booked the cruise using the CruiseNEXT certificates. (which is about a week before the rebooking of the cruise to use CruiseFIRST certificate)   I cant remember why I wanted to juggle these certificates- I know there was a valid reason but I cant remember what it was. 

I have consulted an insurance broker by email and have not had a response yet.