Antarctica on L'Austral - help needed - questions

mbanks1220

Hello everyone.

First time on Ponant and will be sailing Antarctica on L'Austral and so excited but have many questions which I can't seem to find any answers too (I read different things).     Most answers I see pertain to the other ship Commandent and I know this ship is different.

Does Ponant offer walking sticks or do we have to bring our own?

What is the dress code during the day in this region?

How many times do you go out in the Zodiacs - I saw 2 and 3?

Is there snow shoeing offered on this ship?

What has any packed for this cruise/area?   I read lots of different things...

Is it buffets for breakfast and lunch?

What are the dining times?

Are the hikes hard?

A bit of a fearful traveler going into this area, falling off zodiac, falling through ice......I read to much!

For those of you that have done this cruise, what are the must bring items?   I worry about overpacking...

Anything else anyone wants to input would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Thank you!!!!

1 hour ago, mbanks1220 said:

Hello everyone.

First time on Ponant and will be sailing Antarctica on L'Austral and so excited but have many questions which I can't seem to find any answers too (I read different things). 

Cool! Which sailing are you taking?

In case you didn't see my post from last year, it's linked below. Le Lyrial and L'Austral are almost identical, so much applies. To you specific questions...

• Ponant does not provide walking sticks, but they do sell them in the gift shop. Otherwise, they give you a parka and loan you boots and overalls.
  • During the day, you can pretty much wear what you want. I found the ship hot and wore t-shirt and shorts some days.
  • Most days, there will be two Zodiac outings -- one before and one after lunch. Half the boat goes out first and the other half after the first group returns.
  • Snow shoeing is probably not offered. They did offer kayaking for an additional fee.
  • I would bring plenty of wicking undergarments and sweaters to wear under the polar gear. It was warm when we went, so I didn't use most of it -- but I also don't like to be cold, so I wouldn't have been happy without it. You probably know that cotton is a bad choice -- there are some hikes and it can get sweaty.
  • There are two dining rooms. The Main dining room on Deck 2 and the Buffet on Deck 6. Assuming the weather cooperates, you can choose either dining room for either meal.

For breakfast, both are buffets, but you can get eggs / French toast to order.

Lunch is served downstairs and buffet upstairs. There is also a special action station upstairs that had a special themed dish or dishes that were not available downstairs. 

• Very roughly and not exactly, Breakfast is 7-9, Lunch 11:30-1:30 & Dinner 7:30-9:30. This is highly subject to change based on excursions and other things on the ship's schedule. If you're in the main dining room on the Gala night, you'll want to be on time at the beginning of the service.
  • Most hikes were fairly easy, or if it wasn't they were very clear about that.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, AussieBoyTX said:
  • Most days, there will be two Zodiac outings -- one before and one after lunch. Half the boat goes out first and the other half after the first group returns.
  •  

Thanks for the photos. Would you go again for the zodiac rides?

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Thanks for the photos. Would you go again for the zodiac rides?

Just the Zodiac rides? There was one woman who felt she couldn't do the hikes and she took all the Zodiac rides without getting off. Maybe she got off for the landing at Grytviken, South Georgia. All of the landings are wet, but all were in calm, protected water.

But no, for me, I wouldn't go that far without getting off the Zodiac.

• Thanks 1

Hi Mbanks

I can't help much with your questions because I'm also a first timer. I'm from Australia and not used to being cold so I've kind of over planned for that. Most of the winter stuff I'll leave on board afterwards. I'm nervous of the zodiacs too as I have a balance problem but I am so, so excited! I can let you know how it goes if you like. When do you sail? I'm LÁustral 10 December.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for your answers, we really appreciate it!!!   I went and read you review about your time with Ponant and that was really helpful and amazing!!   I makes us so excited to go.   The food sounds amazing too!

We are doing the Great Austral Loop so stopping at South Georgia Island.  This is must.

Good to know on the walking poles, we will research some collapsible ones so we can pack them.  I mean if we buy the ones on board, I have no idea how to pack them to bring home.

We have all the base layers, wool, polyester, etc. and no cotton.    I'm concerned about getting overheated so good to know I can layer and take on/off as needed.   Definitely will bring a backpack for that as I don't want to try and hike carrying all that bulky clothes if I take them off.   

Thanks again, we really appreciate it.

PS........if I think of anything else I will post it here.  

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 3:34 AM, WAGirl said:

Hi Mbanks

I can't help much with your questions because I'm also a first timer. I'm from Australia and not used to being cold so I've kind of over planned for that. Most of the winter stuff I'll leave on board afterwards. I'm nervous of the zodiacs too as I have a balance problem but I am so, so excited! I can let you know how it goes if you like. When do you sail? I'm LÁustral 10 December.

I would not be very concerned about getting in and out of the Zodiacs. There are always three crew members to help you get on and off and they ensure you're not left to work it out on your own. After a couple of goes, you'll be a pro.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised to Antarctica on L'Austral's sister ship, Le Soleal, in February 2020. This was our first cruise with Ponant, so I wrote an extremely detailed (some might say tedious) trip report on our experience. It is posted here on Cruise Critic:

www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=680008

Edited by cboyle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2023 at 10:37 AM, cboyle said:

We cruised to Antarctica on L'Austral's sister ship, Le Soleal, in February 2020. This was our first cruise with Ponant, so I wrote an extremely detailed (some might say tedious) trip report on our experience. It is posted here on Cruise Critic:

www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=680008

Thank you for reposting.

I would use the word 'thorough' to describe your report, rather than 'tedious'.

Though over 3 years old, and some things have changed and continue to change, it is an excellent reference guide to the ship and the vibe of the Antarctic experience.

• Thanks 1