Jump to content

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Isl Bike Tours


Alphen
 Share

Recommended Posts

After a thorough search through the Canada/New England section of the forum, I have not found any info on biking tours here. I have researched google and found a very well-reviewed bike shop in town that mostly specializes in multi day tours.

Just hoping that there has been anyone that has done a bike tour while visiting Charlottetown, Prince Edward Isl during a cruise visit and if doing a part of the Confederation trail is a nice option?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few years ago I went bicycling in P.E.I. when I was in Charlottetown. I rented from MacQueen's, which provided good rental service . . . and having had a minor road failure (the nature of which I cannot even recall anymore) the rental company was responsive in providing a replacement. I traveled on the Confederation Trail, on my own, not as part of any organized tour. As well, I did this while in Charlottetown for several days, having traveled overland and not by cruise vessel. If you're seeking to do bicycling only with the confines of a relatively short port visit, you may not get much out of it, given the limitation on how far you might bicycle before having to turn-back.

 

I found the path to be only modestly interesting because of its heritage as a former Canadian National right-of-way, but not especially so. I say this in contrast to bicycling on the former Canadian Pacific route through the Laurentian Mountains in Québec, from Mont-Laurier to Saint-Jérôme, passing through Mont-Tremblant, Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts, Sainte-Adèle, and other interesting communities). The Québec route just blows away the P.E.I. route, with the scenery, facilities and trail maintenance, restored stations, people and restaurants, etc. To that extent I would characterize the Confederation Trail as a disappointment. If your cruise (or travels) takes you to Montréal, I would recommend doing the bicycling there (use the shuttle service of Autobus le Petit Train de Nord to make a one-journey over a few days, renting either from that transport company or from Cycles Cadieux in Saint-Jérôme), and perhaps do something else while in Charlottetown (unless either bicycling or railroading is a very strong interest).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

A few years ago I went bicycling in P.E.I. when I was in Charlottetown. I rented from MacQueen's, which provided good rental service . . . and having had a minor road failure (the nature of which I cannot even recall anymore) the rental company was responsive in providing a replacement. I traveled on the Confederation Trail, on my own, not as part of any organized tour. As well, I did this while in Charlottetown for several days, having traveled overland and not by cruise vessel. If you're seeking to do bicycling only with the confines of a relatively short port visit, you may not get much out of it, given the limitation on how far you might bicycle before having to turn-back.

 

I found the path to be only modestly interesting because of its heritage as a former Canadian National right-of-way, but not especially so. I say this in contrast to bicycling on the former Canadian Pacific route through the Laurentian Mountains in Québec, from Mont-Laurier to Saint-Jérôme, passing through Mont-Tremblant, Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts, Sainte-Adèle, and other interesting communities). The Québec route just blows away the P.E.I. route, with the scenery, facilities and trail maintenance, restored stations, people and restaurants, etc. To that extent I would characterize the Confederation Trail as a disappointment. If your cruise (or travels) takes you to Montréal, I would recommend doing the bicycling there (use the shuttle service of Autobus le Petit Train de Nord to make a one-journey over a few days, renting either from that transport company or from Cycles Cadieux in Saint-Jérôme), and perhaps do something else while in Charlottetown (unless either bicycling or railroading is a very strong interest).

Greatly appreciate your insight on the appeal of the confederation trail, we have tried to look into this closely by means of Google earth and this experience helps us in deciding if we proceed to go for a bike ride there or not. We have planned on several biking excursions during our Canada and New England cruise, so if one falls through, we are not that disappointed.

 

Many thanks for your contribution. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Alphen said:

[W]e have tried to look into this closely by means of Google earth * * * We have planned on several biking excursions during our Canada and New England cruise, so if one falls through, we are not that disappointed.

The street views that you can get from Google, while not available along the Confederation Trail itself, can be useful for looking at the nature of the trail where it crosses various roads that are shown in street views. These views are a good reflection of the trail. You might just want to bicycle in-town. The trail could be best for a long trip to P.E.I., to cross the province, as opposed a shore excursion. The same might be true for other ports, besides the ports of embarkation and disembarkation.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, GTJ said:

The street views that you can get from Google, while not available along the Confederation Trail itself, can be useful for looking at the nature of the trail where it crosses various roads that are shown in street views. These views are a good reflection of the trail. You might just want to bicycle in-town. The trail could be best for a long trip to P.E.I., to cross the province, as opposed a shore excursion. The same might be true for other ports, besides the ports of embarkation and disembarkation.

Thanks for all the contributions, we already have 5 bike tours identified in several of the ports that we will be booking for our cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2023 at 5:45 AM, GTJ said:

I found the path to be only modestly interesting because of its heritage as a former Canadian National right-of-way, but not especially so

 

We rented bicycles as well, and started on the Confederation Trail and would have to say that "modestly interesting" is a polite way of saying pretty boring from a touristy point of view.  We did a few miles up the trail and realized that it was going to be nothing more than an old railway right of way with nothing interesting to see along the way.  So, we turned around and rode back into Charlottetown and spent the day riding around to the various attractions in the city.

 

If your desire is to put in miles on a bicycle, then take the Confederation Trail.  But if you want to see some of the area, map out those attractions and ride around the city.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, ddaz said:

 

We rented bicycles as well, and started on the Confederation Trail and would have to say that "modestly interesting" is a polite way of saying pretty boring from a touristy point of view.  We did a few miles up the trail and realized that it was going to be nothing more than an old railway right of way with nothing interesting to see along the way.  So, we turned around and rode back into Charlottetown and spent the day riding around to the various attractions in the city.

 

If your desire is to put in miles on a bicycle, then take the Confederation Trail.  But if you want to see some of the area, map out those attractions and ride around the city.

Thanks for the review and no, we do not want to bike just to get the miles, it has to be a combo of sightseeing and biking, so thanks for the input, we will now reconsider our options there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...