New to snorkeling

Amie2

We have never snorkeled before and would love to try it.

We will be sailing to Cozumel, Nassau and Grand Cayman.

Can anyone recommend an excursion where snorkeling instruction (and equipment) will be provided to newbies?

Thank you.

You may be able to figure out how to do it prior to your cruise from asking on here and/or watching some videos. I did not find snorkeling to be too difficult. Perhaps you have family or friends that own a snorkel set that you could borrow to try on? Then you just need to find a spot and rental gear which are fairly easy to line up, rather than an instructor. 

Essentially, you just put your mask on, put the mouthpiece of the snorkel tube in your mouth (it should be clipped to the mask) and float/swim along, face down. The tube will stick up above the water. There are little tricks (i.e. make sure no hair is trapped in the mask, don't tip your head too far forward so the tube gets water in it, do you want a fins, do you want a floatation device, etc.), but that is basically the whole procedure.

Out of your three, I have only snorkeled in Cozumel, but found snorkeling to be pretty good in the Chankanaab/Cabana Beach/Money Bar stretch of the island, just off the shore. It is a rocky drop off there and you use steps to get into the water, and therefore, visibility is excellent (very little sand stirred up). We saw many, many different colored fish along there. There is some current in Cozumel - so we found the fins necessary when swimming against the current, even right along the shore line. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

You may be able to figure out how to do it prior to your cruise from asking on here and/or watching some videos. I did not find snorkeling to be too difficult. Perhaps you have family or friends that own a snorkel set that you could borrow to try on? Then you just need to find a spot and rental gear which are fairly easy to line up, rather than an instructor. 

Essentially, you just put your mask on, put the mouthpiece of the snorkel tube in your mouth (it should be clipped to the mask) and float/swim along, face down. The tube will stick up above the water. There are little tricks (i.e. make sure no hair is trapped in the mask, don't tip your head too far forward so the tube gets water in it, do you want a fins, do you want a floatation device, etc.), but that is basically the whole procedure.

Out of your three, I have only snorkeled in Cozumel, but found snorkeling to be pretty good in the Chankanaab/Cabana Beach/Money Bar stretch of the island, just off the shore. It is a rocky drop off there and you use steps to get into the water, and therefore, visibility is excellent (very little sand stirred up). We saw many, many different colored fish along there. There is some current in Cozumel - so we found the fins necessary when swimming against the current, even right along the shore line. 

Thank you.

IME MOST snorkeling excursions offered by a cruise offer equipment and a short 'lesson' for newbies ....

of your three stops I'd say CAYMAN would be your best choice <but do NOT take a snork' trip to the Kittiwake ship wreck as this will be DEEP water and NOT a good place for a newbie> A trip with stingray city and a second snork' stop is probably a great fit for you.

Coz is second choice but shore snorkeling would be better for you as the currents of a boat trip can be significant here. And Nassau is last choice as frankly there ain't much great snorkeling in Nassau area.

BTW I started diving in 1973 and lived in south Florida for a good part of 1978 - til now and worked on ships for a good part of that time in the islands. I've been to each of these places dozens of times and 'dove em' .... not to mention cruises over 60 ... most to the Carib as well.

Enjoy

cayman 11 nite.JPG

22 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

IME MOST snorkeling excursions offered by a cruise offer equipment and a short 'lesson' for newbies ....

of your three stops I'd say CAYMAN would be your best choice <but do NOT take a snork' trip to the Kittiwake ship wreck as this will be DEEP water and NOT a good place for a newbie> A trip with stingray city and a second snork' stop is probably a great fit for you.

Coz is second choice but shore snorkeling would be better for you as the currents of a boat trip can be significant here. And Nassau is last choice as frankly there ain't much great snorkeling in Nassau area.

BTW I started diving in 1973 and lived in south Florida for a good part of 1978 - til now and worked on ships for a good part of that time in the islands. I've been to each of these places dozens of times and 'dove em' .... not to mention cruises over 60 ... most to the Carib as well.

Enjoy

Thank you Captain.

I will plan our snorkeling adventure in Grand Cayman!

• 2 weeks later...

Agree -- folks new to snorkeling - don't do Kittiwake.  BUT -- With calm weather the 5 days leading up to the snorkel trip, the water is crystal clear all 90 feet down to the sand.  Dump the orange vest, and take your first couple dips to the wheelhouse, get your picture took posing behind the ship's wheel.  Rest a bit on the surface, and duck down to look in the tank room about 65'.  Those very comfortable with free diving can descend at the stern and get a good look at the prop on the sand at 90'.  The whole time there, there will be all sorts of critters swimming, crawling, hiding under bits of metal.  If you are on a cruise ship purchased excursion, the guides for your trip will get their panties in a twist with the multiple deep descents, but hey, this is what it's about.  Who wants to dabble around on the surface getting a sunburned back?

• 2 weeks later...

That's great you want to try snorkeling for the first time on your cruise! Cozumel and Grand Cayman have amazing underwater sights. I'd recommend looking for an excursion that provides a basic lesson on safety, equipment use and corals/fish ID before going out - that way you can relax and enjoy exploring. Most cruise line and port excursions will include gear and instruction. Have fun and hopefully the weather cooperates for good visibility. Snorkeling is a great way to experience the beauty of the oceans.