Question booking dinner reservations 45 days out

Smiling Sue

I am traveling on the NYE cruise with my husband. Wahoo!  The booking option for dinner reservations will be 45 days out on the 15th of November.  I know to hop on at midnight on 11/15/23 for a better chance of getting our first dining choices.  He is the primary holder (not sure if that is the correct term), but our accounts are linked and he shows as paying for my expenses and staying in the same room.  

When I use the app to book, will there be an option to include him in the reservation?  Will it assume we are together as we have the same cabin and linked account?

Or since he is the primary account holder, does he need to book our food and activities? 

Thank you!!!!

Yes, when either of you go to book dining reservations the other people in the cabin will show up as options to join you no matter who is the lead sailor.  And one little tip, keep checking starting around 11p eastern as sometimes things open up early.  If you have issues making the reservations once they open, just close the app and start again.  Sometimes that will work.  Be patient, the app is very squirrely.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You will be able to add anyone who is linked to your account, even if not in the same cabin.  Warning--anyone you are linked with can also cancel your reservations!  We find it best to not link FB friends or similar for that reason,  Also, if the app crashes, which is common, your TA can do your reservations thru their portal.

3 hours ago, Smiling Sue said:

Thank you for the insights.  Very helpful.  We did not use a travel agent, just booked online.  Maybe that is crazy, but it has worked out well so far.  🙂

I booked my first VV on my own.  THen met a Gold Tier agent who has been absolutely wonderful.  She checks all of her reservations each time VV comes out with a new deal and contacts me if the new is any better than what I already have...,and the service is great.  VV is improving their shoreside sailor service, but a year ago, it was not unusual to wait on the phone for over an hour and HOPE you got correct info.  Also, if your TA books 10 or more cabins on a given cruise, that results in extra perks for each cabin booked (from VV, not from TA).

17 hours ago, cantgetin said:

I booked my first VV on my own.  THen met a Gold Tier agent who has been absolutely wonderful.  She checks all of her reservations each time VV comes out with a new deal and contacts me if the new is any better than what I already have...,and the service is great.  VV is improving their shoreside sailor service, but a year ago, it was not unusual to wait on the phone for over an hour and HOPE you got correct info.  Also, if your TA books 10 or more cabins on a given cruise, that results in extra perks for each cabin booked (from VV, not from TA).

Cantgetin - wouldn't it be too late to use a Gold Tier TA at this point?  We have our room, paid in full etc.  We have more than enough Bar Tab as we were credited for a cancellation.  The last thing I am planning on doing is staying up Tuesday night to book the dinner and entertainment.    Many thanks for any insight or clarification. 

7 minutes ago, Smiling Sue said:

Cantgetin - wouldn't it be too late to use a Gold Tier TA at this point?  We have our room, paid in full etc.  We have more than enough Bar Tab as we were credited for a cancellation.  The last thing I am planning on doing is staying up Tuesday night to book the dinner and entertainment.    Many thanks for any insight or clarification. 

I'm not a TA, so I can't speak authoritatively.  I suspect that it is too late once you have paid in full, but it wouldn't hurt to ask a Gold Tier agent if that is true.  VV has weird rules on many things.  I'm on the ship now, and have had no problem with changing reservations after boarding or during the cruise...but we have 1600 on our ship.  A more full ship would have less flexibility.

Since you got the loot /bar tab credit for a cancelation, you are undoubtedly in good shape.  THe app regularly crashes while people are booking dining.  If the app fails, you can call Shoreside Sailor Services and they can make the reservations for you (don't accept them telling you various fixes for the app; just tell them what you want and ask that they make the reservations for you.  Enjoy your cruise.

38 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

I'm not a TA, so I can't speak authoritatively.  I suspect that it is too late once you have paid in full, but it wouldn't hurt to ask a Gold Tier agent if that is true.  VV has weird rules on many things.  I'm on the ship now, and have had no problem with changing reservations after boarding or during the cruise...but we have 1600 on our ship.  A more full ship would have less flexibility.

Since you got the loot /bar tab credit for a cancelation, you are undoubtedly in good shape.  THe app regularly crashes while people are booking dining.  If the app fails, you can call Shoreside Sailor Services and they can make the reservations for you (don't accept them telling you various fixes for the app; just tell them what you want and ask that they make the reservations for you.  Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you so much for your tips.  Truly appreciated.

• Like 1

Made a couple of reservations for dining but having trouble changing one . The app says I can cancel and rebook but cant seem to find how to do that . ?

Also tried to book a lunch using the last time slot at Razzle - 11:45 am  but I keep getting the "woops something went wrong " thingy -20 times . Maybe because we have an early 8:45 breakfast/bruch at Waves ?  

22 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

We transferred to a First Mate over 6 months after booking directly with VV.

Wow, that's great. I just googled it to find the answer and Google said 30 days. I guess in real life they're a little more flexible than the official policy!

"May I transfer my voyage to my travel agent?

Yes, Virgin Voyages will gladly transfer a reservation to your travel agent within 30 days from the creation date when a reservation is not paid in full."

https://www.virginvoyages.com/help-and-support/before-you-sail/new-bookings#:~:text=May I transfer,paid in full.

Edited by Spudd

All dining reservations are made on the app (or your TA can do it for you as well).  Rockstars can make reservations 60 prior to sailing as opposed to 45 days for everyone else.  You can also get your Rockstar agent to help you with your dining reservations once you are onboard, but I recommend making reservations at the 60 day mark and then using your agent if you need to change anything around once onboard.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Spudd said:

Wow, that's great. I just googled it to find the answer and Google said 30 days. I guess in real life they're a little more flexible than the official policy!

VV does a lot of things differently than the "official" policy.  🙃

There seems to be a curse where for whatever reason the leadership or staff seem to be a weak point on the ships. The kitchen also seems to be slower than the rest. Not sure if that’s some type of design challenge of the kitchen itself or what. We’ve found it to have improved but still not perfect.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2023 at 12:58 PM, Smiling Sue said:

VV allows you to transfer your cruise to a TA up until Final Payment date. After that you're locked in. As @cantgetin mentioned a TA can actually go into the booking engine to make your reservations. The app is notoriously horrible when the bookings open. Bring a LOT of patience. We've heard of people taking 2 to 3 hours to make reservations because the app keeps freezing up when everyone hits it to make the dining reservations. But the TA just goes into the booking engine and is typically done in 10 minutes or less. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spudd said:

As long as you have not passed Final Payment date, they will transfer it. Super flexible and awesome cruise line for TAs. 

19 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Thank you

We like Italian and a good steak 🥩 

Could you elaborate on the “service challenges” 

The Wake has the worst service of all the onboard restaurants, personally I think there are better and more interesting restaurants onboard.

My favourite is Pink Agave, then menu A (first course mushroom) at Test Kitchen. Then Gunbae, Extra Virgin and Razzle Dazzle with the Wake the lowest priority for me.

Dont forget Razzle Dazzle does breakfast/brunch and the Wake brunch/lunch so you can dine at those places in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Thank you 

I’m seeing the trend that the steakhouse is just that, nothing to write home about 

just a steakhouse

We will probably skip that and concentrate on the others 

Nancy 

You could do The Wake for brunch if you want to try it. Or they offer steak at lunch too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2023 at 9:25 AM, schooner_Drinker said:

We like Italian and a good steak 🥩 

the steak at extra virgin is actually one of my favorites items on the ship!  i prefer that + the steak at pink agave over anything i've had at the wake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:57 AM, Smiling Sue said:

I am traveling on the NYE cruise with my husband. Wahoo!  The booking option for dinner reservations will be 45 days out on the 15th of November.  I know to hop on at midnight on 11/15/23 for a better chance of getting our first dining choices.  He is the primary holder (not sure if that is the correct term), but our accounts are linked and he shows as paying for my expenses and staying in the same room.  

When I use the app to book, will there be an option to include him in the reservation?  Will it assume we are together as we have the same cabin and linked account?

Or since he is the primary account holder, does he need to book our food and activities? 

Thank you!!!!

We too are on the NYE cruise and having a horrendous time booking reservations for dinners. I was lucky to secure a table for the 4 couples traveling together for 2 meals (at 6pm!) but even trying to book for 2 couples seems impossible this week. The app as been flakey at best and atrocious at worst.

On 11/15/2023 at 5:30 PM, lisabucsfan1 said:

We too are on the NYE cruise and having a horrendous time booking reservations for dinners. I was lucky to secure a table for the 4 couples traveling together for 2 meals (at 6pm!) but even trying to book for 2 couples seems impossible this week. The app as been flakey at best and atrocious at worst.

I agree with you completely. 💯 I was up until 3am booking all of the dinners and breakfast/brunches.  I had one dinner slot I couldn’t book, and called them directly the next morning.  They were wonderful and booked it easily.  BUT, I am glad I didn’t wait until the morning of the first day as many of the time slots were already filled.  The VV agent did say the app will work better once on board.  Maybe?  They also suggested if a time slot is not available, try changing the number of sailors from 2 to 3 and magically some slots would open up for booking. 
If you haven’t already done so, book brunch/ breakfast for the final day, disembarkation.  I heard the slots often do not open until you are on the ship, and breakfast in the Galley can be chaotic on departure day.  I was pleasantly surprised to see I could book time at Razzle Dazzle for a 9 am breakfast before heading home.   

20 hours ago, Smiling Sue said:

I agree with you completely. 💯 I was up until 3am booking all of the dinners and breakfast/brunches.  I had one dinner slot I couldn’t book, and called them directly the next morning.  They were wonderful and booked it easily.  BUT, I am glad I didn’t wait until the morning of the first day as many of the time slots were already filled.  The VV agent did say the app will work better once on board.  Maybe?  They also suggested if a time slot is not available, try changing the number of sailors from 2 to 3 and magically some slots would open up for booking. 
If you haven’t already done so, book brunch/ breakfast for the final day, disembarkation.  I heard the slots often do not open until you are on the ship, and breakfast in the Galley can be chaotic on departure day.  I was pleasantly surprised to see I could book time at Razzle Dazzle for a 9 am breakfast before heading home.   

thanks... super familiar with all of the finagling with the app and brunch options (this will be my 6th sailing)... but the first time I've had this many problems!