Need to get from the Vatican to Civitaveccia on Saturday 11/25

charliebeagledog

We are flying in a week early for a Cruise leaving Civitaveccia 11/26 and booked a place in Civitaveccia for one night before Saturday 11/25.

We are staying on Vatican property (extraterritorial area) across the street from the colonnades  of St Peters Square. 

Looking for transportation with luggage  (2 large roller bags and one carry on bag) for my wife and I.

Looked at the SIT bus or for others and I'm not finding any scheduled for Saturday.  A taxi seems quite expensive.  Thinking of taking the Train.

Its a 12 minute walk (uphill a little as I understand from reading some posts but not unmanageable) from where we are staying to the station Roma S Pietro.  Would we have a problem on a Saturday morning with all that luggage on a regional train or should we go to Roma Termini and take the Freccibianca train? 

Theres a Freccibianca train at  11:57am  its  A little later than we wanted to go but manageable.   The Frecci is also  60 Euro vs 10 for Euro the both of us.

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge

If you are young, strong, and can easily handle all your luggage then the train is possible.  Just keep in mind that street crime is always a possibility so you must make sure to always keep your luggage under your control.  On the trains, I use a luggage cable lock to secure luggage which we must sometimes leave at the end of a car.

On a midday Saturday train, we would take the lower cost train from S. Pietro.  Just pray that the elevator is working at the Civitavecchia station since, otherwise, you would need to walk down a long stairway, pass under Track 1, and than back up another long stairway (somehow hauling all yoru luggage).  From the Civitavecchia station you can either use the bus or try to get a taxi to your ship.

So now that we told you what you want to hear, we would advise just taking a taxi or arranging for a transfer....or arrange a private transfer (about 160 Euros).  But the train is, indeed, an option if you can handle and protect your luggage.

Hank

• Like 1

6 hours ago, charliebeagledog said:

We have our pick up set up that if theres a problem we can still take a cab to Termini and get the Freece train and thanks to suggestions here we picked up a couple of cable travel locks we can attach to our bags at if we needed to leave them at the end of the car.

Just one mild warning, if you were to take the train from Termini.  It is a very long walk (seems like about 1/3 mile) from the Termini entrance to the platform where you get most of the trains to Civitavecchia.  Folks should keep in mind that as a general rule in Europe, you will need to haul your own luggage to and from trains, and depending on the station may need to lift your luggage up a few steps into the train.  Not a problem for many (we have done it many times) but a challenge for some.

Hank

44 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just one mild warning, if you were to take the train from Termini.  It is a very long walk (seems like about 1/3 mile) from the Termini entrance to the platform where you get most of the trains to Civitavecchia.  Folks should keep in mind that as a general rule in Europe, you will need to haul your own luggage to and from trains, and depending on the station may need to lift your luggage up a few steps into the train.  Not a problem for many (we have done it many times) but a challenge for some.

Hank

Hank,  I really appreciate the detail you shared here.  Wouldn't be a problem for me.   I walk 3  miles a day a day.   I was more concerned about there not being racks on the regional trains for the big 50 lb roller duffel bags have us train shying away form the regional train and choosing the Freece if something happens to our shuttle reservation.  I'd carry the two big bags and my wife would carry our carry on.  The shared shuttle wasn't that bad at 85 Euro (goes down to 80 if someone else books it)  we did get cable locks so we can secure the bags if were not seated in eyesight of them.

57 minutes ago, charliebeagledog said:

Hank,  I really appreciate the detail you shared here.  Wouldn't be a problem for me.   I walk 3  miles a day a day.   I was more concerned about there not being racks on the regional trains for the big 50 lb roller duffel bags have us train shying away form the regional train and choosing the Freece if something happens to our shuttle reservation.  I'd carry the two big bags and my wife would carry our carry on.  The shared shuttle wasn't that bad at 85 Euro (goes down to 80 if someone else books it)  we did get cable locks so we can secure the bags if were not seated in eyesight of them.

Racks?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  But we have always found space for our luggage at the end of the cars.  The large bags (we also carry two large bags) will generally not fit into the overheads.  If the train happened to be less than full, you might be able to stash the luggage at a nearby seat...but you cannot count on that being possible.  My own take is that it will all work out, and it does.  Traveling interpedently is more about common and travel sense and having the physical ability to handle being on one's own.  You will be fine :).

Hank

• Like 1