Certified Jamaica Blue Mountain Cofee at the Port of Falmouth

abbydancer2003

Hi

We're visiting Falmouth next month, and we really don't want to leave the port area, but we want to take home some certified JBM coffee.  Is there a place in the port to buy it that's reliable for certified coffee?  First time in Jamaica ever.  

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I was wanting to ask the same question. We visit Falmouth in a couple of weeks. It’s always a bit questionable buying Blue Mountain coffee but it tastes so good if you can buy the real beans.

22 hours ago, RiciRicardo said:

I was wanting to ask the same question. We visit Falmouth in a couple of weeks. It’s always a bit questionable buying Blue Mountain coffee but it tastes so good if you can buy the real beans.

I posted this on your original question on the Ask A Cruise Question board but want to be sure you saw it.

Just so you are aware, more than 80% of all genuine Blue Mountain coffee is exported from Jamaica to Japan. (They are also used in the formulation of Tia Maria coffee liqueur). So less than 20% of the annual production of the genuine bean remains in Jamaica.

Finding the actual product that isn't a blend containing other beans from various sources may be difficult, and will be expensive.  If genuine, there will be certificate of authenticity verifying that the product you are purchasing has been registered for sale with the JACRA (Jamaica Agricultural Commodities Regulatory Authority) as the actual Blue Mountain coffee bean.

As long as 30% of the beans sourced for the blend are Blue Mountain beans, the name "Blue Mountain" can be used, but the wording of "blend" will also be included.  As I understand it, the majority of all "Blue Mountain Coffee" sold is a blend - but is still very good.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...