Silver Whisper Australia Itinerary Changes

Host Jazzbeau

The Silver Whisper cruise from Auckland to Sydney Jan. 29 - Feb. 14, 2024 has had another itinerary change.  First they eliminated the overnight in Melbourne (because Melbourne "will no longer be able to host our overnight call") and substituted a long day in Geelong and a short day in Eden.  Now they have eliminated the evening stop at Phillip Island for the 'penguin parade' ("due to operational constraints") and lengthened the second day in Hobart.

I'm ok with both changes, but wondering why this cruise has been struck twice.  Melbourne was apparently caused by overcrowding at the port (Feb. 11 only has Grand Princess (turnaround) scheduled; Feb. 12 has three ships: Norwegian Spirit, Viking Neptune, and Coral Geographer (turnaround) – is that all the port can hold?

The real question is: does 'operational constraints' mean something about Whisper's sailing speed?

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The Silver Whisper cruise from Auckland to Sydney Jan. 29 - Feb. 14, 2024 has had another itinerary change.  First they eliminated the overnight in Melbourne (because Melbourne "will no longer be able to host our overnight call") and substituted a long day in Geelong and a short day in Eden.  Now they have eliminated the evening stop at Phillip Island for the 'penguin parade' ("due to operational constraints") and lengthened the second day in Hobart.

I'm ok with both changes, but wondering why this cruise has been struck twice.  Melbourne was apparently caused by overcrowding at the port (Feb. 11 only has Grand Princess (turnaround) scheduled; Feb. 12 has three ships: Norwegian Spirit, Viking Neptune, and Coral Geographer (turnaround) – is that all the port can hold?

The real question is: does 'operational constraints' mean something about Whisper's sailing speed?

That is a real pity about missing Phillip Island. Seeing the Fairy penguins would have been a highlight off the trip.

Station Pier in Melbourne really is very small. The ferry to Tasmania relocated to Geelong to leave more space for cruise ships. Space-wise, possibly all ships would fit, two each side, but the facilities probably wouldn’t cope.

(As it happens, my son and I will be on Norwegian Spirit.  I’ll wave to you!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I did the penguin parade many years ago. It was definitely a highlight of my trip to Australia. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 11:12 PM, gnome12 said:

I did the penguin parade many years ago. It was definitely a highlight of my trip to Australia. 

Sadly the visits to Philip Island seem to have been cancelled for the whole of this next season.   I was watching a programme on TV last night and they showed the evening "show" which is put on for visitors, everyone sitting on the slope above the beach with some soft lighting picking out the penguins on the beach below.   If you havent seen penguins "in the wild" then it would be lovely to see but I am not so sure that Silversea guests, particularly those who have seen penguins elsewhere, would be very impressed with the arrangement.   There is also now the risk to the penguins created by avian flu so it is probably best if visits to Philip Island are tailed off or perhaps stopped for the forseeable future.   Disappointing?   Yes a bit but personally I am looking forward to seeing the other wonderful creates Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand have to offer.