Studio balconies

marktwothousand

42 minutes ago, Davechipp74 said:

I just always got a regular balcony room, and paid the double occupancy, these are the same deal, no? 

I was looking at some cruises yesterday and found that most of the new solo rates were at 180% instead of a full 200%. I am sure there are exceptions..

I cruise solo once or twice a year, and it seems like cruises with low/no solo supplements are becoming less common as ships sail at higher occupancy. If you want to travel last minute that’s another story, but then airfare can be costly. 

I booked Prima for January in a solo studio, even though I really wasn’t crazy about the tiny cabin. It was the only affordable option for me at the time of booking. Last week I noticed that the solo balconies has been added to my sailing and was able to upgrade for only $300. I gained an extra specialty meal and still have studio lounge access. As a non-drinker, I love the idea of a dedicated espresso/cappuccino machine! 

All in, I’m on the ship in a very nice balcony on deck 12 for right at $1,300, including insurance but not gratuities. I’ll be curious to see how long the solo balconies last in inventory, because I didn’t see many at all offered. Maybe 8-10?

2 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Just to add, in another thread, people were commenting that there were kids playing in the solo lounge so i am questioning how locked up it actually is and how many others gain access.

I have never seen kids in the lounge but did see a group of teens late at night once.  If someone doesn't pull the door fully shut, then anyone can access (if they happen to be walking by and know what it is). The teens took the pastries and juice and once they left, I pulled the door shut. Just something to remember if you are staying in the Studios. 

53 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

so i am questioning how locked up it actually is and how many others gain access.

I've seen 'kids' in the lounge once or twice, they seemed to have been there with someone that was visiting with a Studio 'resident' and so were let in by them.