Cayman Turtle Centre

calgal729

We were thinking of going to the Cayman Turtle Centre when we’re in this port in January and noticed you can buy tickets in advance on their website.  Is it really necessary to buy tickets in advance or can we just take a taxi to the Centre and buy tickets the day we visit?  I don’t know what the risk is that they might sell out. I hate to buy tickets in advance and then not be able to use them due to bad weather, a change in itinerary, etc.   TIA.  

Maybe contact them and ask?  If it’s a weekday in January and not near a holiday of any sort either in the US or Cayman, my guess is you’d be fine, but the attraction itself would be the ones to answer if they’ve ever sold out or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can someone give feedback about the snorkel with the turtles in the lagoon? I read some reports it's lots of algae? Does it almost seem dirty? I'm sure it's fine for the animals, but not sure if it will gross out my kids. Can someone describe what it's like? Would it be appropriate for kids ages 10, 14, and 8?

On 11/22/2023 at 9:41 AM, mitsugirly said:

We recently stayed in GC and went to the turtle farm. We booked online the day we went (and you get a 10% discount by doing it that way). We had a great time. 

Here's my review and pictures of when we went. 

And a video I made of our day

Thanks for this review! I'm excited to go to the Turtle Centre on our next cruise. My kids are 5&7 and not very good swimmers. I was thinking we would do the swimming at the turtle centre, but looking at your review I'm wondering if we skip that part. It looks too deep and challenging. Am I missing anything? Thanks so much for any thoughts or ideas!!!!

On 1/6/2024 at 7:34 PM, rustyroo said:

Can someone give feedback about the snorkel with the turtles in the lagoon? I read some reports it's lots of algae? Does it almost seem dirty? I'm sure it's fine for the animals, but not sure if it will gross out my kids. Can someone describe what it's like? Would it be appropriate for kids ages 10, 14, and 8?

It's fine. It's not like you are swimming in a bunch of algae. It's along the sides/bottom and on some of the rocks but the water is crystal clear. Did you look at my review with the pictures? That will give you an idea of it. Definitely appropriate for those ages. You wear a life jacket and if they are interested in swimming with turtles, this is a great adventure. 

On 1/8/2024 at 9:31 PM, schwartzy said:

Thanks for this review! I'm excited to go to the Turtle Centre on our next cruise. My kids are 5&7 and not very good swimmers. I was thinking we would do the swimming at the turtle centre, but looking at your review I'm wondering if we skip that part. It looks too deep and challenging. Am I missing anything? Thanks so much for any thoughts or ideas!!!!

It would be over their heads, but you are made to wear a life jacket. So, it depends on how comfortable they are in the water. Can they kick their feet and move their arms along? If so, they might be able to do it. Or...you could pull them along. It's always so hard for me to gauge someone else's kids because our daughter was swimming at 3 years old and jumping off 2 story decks into the ocean without a life jacket. She's always been a daredevil and loves the water. 🤷‍♀️

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to circle back on this topic and thank everyone for their reviews and input.  We went to the Turtle Center last week on our Caribbean cruise last week and enjoyed it very much.  My daughters and granddaughter (age 2 1/2) swam with the turtles and loved it.  The water was a little murky but not bad.  I would skip the aviary and butterfly exhibits, not much there, but swimming with the turtles was the highlight of our visit.  Keep in mind this is a bit of a drive from the pier, so the taxi bus ride took a while (and stopped at the beaches first to let off other passengers.) Would be best to go as early in the day as possible.  We did not need to buy tickets in advance, although there is a small discount if you buy online.  

2 hours ago, calgal729 said:

Just wanted to circle back on this topic and thank everyone for their reviews and input.  We went to the Turtle Center last week on our Caribbean cruise last week and enjoyed it very much.  My daughters and granddaughter (age 2 1/2) swam with the turtles and loved it.  The water was a little murky but not bad.  I would skip the aviary and butterfly exhibits, not much there, but swimming with the turtles was the highlight of our visit.  Keep in mind this is a bit of a drive from the pier, so the taxi bus ride took a while (and stopped at the beaches first to let off other passengers.) Would be best to go as early in the day as possible.  We did not need to buy tickets in advance, although there is a small discount if you buy online.  

So glad you enjoyed it.