Capitals of Eastern Europe - Viking River Cruise review

Steerpike58

On 11/22/2023 at 5:38 PM, JourneyJim said:

Thanks, @Steerpike58, for this detailed report! I'm thinking of going on this river cruise, but I'm also considering going on a trip to the Czech Republic only. You seem to really like Prague, and it seems there wasn't enough time to enjoy Prague during the river cruise. I was also reading up on Prague, and it seems like there is so much to see https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-czech-republic-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5565 😮 however, seeing a ton doesn’t always mean it’s a good thing. 😅 I wish to see Prague’s highlights at a relaxed pace, not just ticking off what’s already included on the tour. I know you already mentioned you’ll go back to ocean cruising, but if given the chance, would you go on a trip to Prague only?

Sorry for the late response, but I would absolutely go on a trip to Prague only!   While I enjoy ocean cruising for some aspects (no pack/unpack, convenience, itinerary already set, etc), there are many reasons I prefer a personal visit to a location.  I'm a big food fan, and I love eating out in local restaurants at night. With a cruise, you are pretty much back on board for dinner every evening, so your exposure to the local life is somewhat limited.  And unless you arrange your own visits, you are herded around in groups of 20-30 people to most sights, which has a different 'feel'.  

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have already been on the Viking Capitols of Eastern Europe -  Where does the ship dock in Budapest? We read good things about Tram #2 - has anyone taken the tram to sightsee? We also would like to know how far Lukacs Thermal Baths is from the ship. Thanks

Posted (edited)

Never been there on viking but looking at satellite photos there are pictures of rafted Viking ships on both sides of the chain bridge right next to the tram route.

Edited by CastleCritic

On 3/19/2024 at 1:03 AM, travelnn said:

For those who have already been on the Viking Capitols of Eastern Europe -  Where does the ship dock in Budapest? 

I have been to Budapest four times on Viking cruises and each time the boat has moored close to the Chain Bridge, at or close to this location

https://what3words.com/typhoon.leafing.most

Lukacs Thermal Baths is 25-30 minutes walk away.

Not been on tram but check procedures: A relative (who is a police officer) and partner were fined on a bus there not because they didn't have tickets but because they hadn't validated (stamped) their tickets in the onboard machine.....