Where do cruise ships dock in Lisbon?

We will be visiting Lisbon on our cruise on The Golden Princess this summer. Can anyone provide any information as to where cruise ships dock at this port? I'm trying to determine how far Praca do Comercio (aka Black Horse Square) is from this point and the best way to get there. Thanks in advance.

KG in Tennessee

Unless they have recently changed the docking postion, the ship should be very close to the Belam Bridge (its on most maps). This is a good location because there are public buses right outside the terminal and the train line is also close by the port.

Hank

It takes us 40 min to walk from the pier to Praca do Comercio. That's at a fairly fast (but not breakneck) pace. We do this walk for the exercise, not the scenery. The pier is about 1km East of where the large Ponte 25 de Abril crosses the river. If you look on a detailed map of Lisbon, you'll see where the ships dock labelled as Estacao Maritima de Rocha at Doca de Alcantara (** not Estacao Maritima de Alcantara - it's further West, closer to the bridge). The first part of the walk is a long U around an inner harbour which is between the pier used by the cruiseships and the shore. BTW - even if your map shows a small bridge across this inner harbour (which would make the walk into Praca do Comercio much shorter), don't believe it - I think it may be a pedestrian swing bridge and it's never been closed when we've been there. This part of the walk is through commercial warehouses and not scenic at all. If you don't want to walk the whole distance, you can walk to the closest commuter train station, Alcantara, at the foot of Rua Cascais. Also, there may be a local bus that runs to the Estacao Maritima. Both bus and commuter train info are available online if you look on Lisbon websites. Failing all of that, cabs are very cheap in Lisbon (pay in Euro, and make sure the driver knows you want to find out the price in Euro when you ask - they tend to assume that anyone who gets off a ship and speaks English doesn't use local currency, and paying in other currencies is just asking for a rip off on the exchange rate).

Glad to hear you're going to explore on your own - hope this helps.

Just noticed my reference to "Belam Bridge." That should have been Belam Tower. I am familiar with the pier mentioned in the prior post, but in our 2 trips to Lisbon we always docked at the commercial port (Porto Brandao Trafario) which is about 1 mile west of the aforementioned bridge (Ponte 25 de Abril). I have no clue who makes the determination as to which docking area is used by a particular ship, but either dock is no problem for independent travel. One never seems to know with cruise lines these days. Two years ago we cruised out of Bangkok on Princess, and the cruise line changed the port (by more than 40 miles) and neglected to tell all the passengers. Some missed the ship, and others had to make a mad dash from the wrong port to the right port (or was it the other way around). Guess that is what makes traveling so much fun and an adventure.

Hank

Hlitner and luvnorway,

Thanks so much for the information. Our ship docks at 0900 and we plan on taking the Orginal Lisbon Walking Tour that orginates at Praca do Comercio beginning at 1000. From your post and if we plan properly, we should be able to make the start of the tour with no problem.

KG in Tennessee

Okay, so I see "Estacao Maritima Rocha do Conde de Obidos", and it's west of Alcantara, in a spit, I can see the footbridge. So I'm assuming that this is what is meant. So by the sounds of it, there will be a cab or public transportation involved, if we mean to spend the morning walking around either Alfama or Baixa.

We are taking the Splendour over to Lisbon next month and then spending 4 days there before flying back. Have never been and, most likely, won't do it again. I thought Lisbon sounded interesting, the prices were not atrocious and it looks like a fun place to explore.

Like many retired folks (why do we become such worry-warts in our 'upper' years!?) I'm hoping the decision was a good one. We plan to go the Sistra (?) one day and then do Lisbon by section for the remainder of days. If those of you who have been will each give me your "must-see when in Lisbon" ideas it will give me a head-start on day planning and may calm some of these last minute misgivings!

Thanks!!

Try the round Lisbon Tram Tour (bright red trams - not the locals' regular service.)They depart from the same square mentionned every half hour and you have a choice of two - round the City or along the Waterfront to the Bridges & Monuments. Very cheap, very easy and very interesting....

I still have the landing card they gave us when getting off the ship in Lisbon last year. I also have a homepage(link in signature) which has a great deal of information about Lisbon on it. You will find it in the Lisbon link and vital info link. I'm excited to visit Lisbon again this year. Such a wonderful city with so much history and things to see. You will love it, I know!

CC'er Andros/Tony

When we stopped in Lisbon on the Golden Princess, there was a shuttle bus that took us directly to the Commercial Square, then back to the ship. We were docked directly under the April 25 bridge and had a great view of the Christ statue from our cabin. It's a wonderful city and very easy to get around. You'll enjoy everything.

Archived