Galapagos itinerary

In the early research stages of booking a Galápagos cruise. I really want to live NG/Lindblad, but…their itineraries are vaguer than vague! “Days 3-6 exploring the Galapagos” saying that the islands visited will vary. No commitment to specific islands. ?! 

Does anyone have insight on this? My other top choice is Quasar, and I can find detailed itineraries for their offerings. 

I'm surprised, because I believe that Ecuador requires each ship to file detailed itineraries to make sure they aren't visiting the restricted islands more often than allowed.  That's why most alternate between two itineraries (e.g. 'inside'/'outside').

When we booked our Galapagos cruise it was very important to us to see the Blue-Footed Boobies mating dances.  We were able to see Celebrity's detailed itineraries and choose both the islands (North Seymour) and the date (May) to ensure we saw the mating dances in full swing.  I would not have wanted to buy a 'pig in a poke.'

Right?! Most travelers have wildlife that is on their bucket list for a Galápagos trip. It seems completely unhelpful and backwards to not nail down the itineraries. 

Feel free to poke around the website and if I am incorrect, would love to know! 

12 hours ago, alliecat44 said:

Right?! Most travelers have wildlife that is on their bucket list for a Galápagos trip. It seems completely unhelpful and backwards to not nail down the itineraries. 

Feel free to poke around the website and if I am incorrect, would love to know! 

We sailed with NG/Lindblad to the Galapagos in January. You are correct, we unfortunately did not find out which islands we would be sailing to until we boarded the ship. It seems they use two itineraries and alternate each sailing. I pretty much was able to figure out where we would visit, but wouldn't it be nice if they shared that information with their guests? We saw plenty of blue footed, red-footed and Nazca boobies, but we did not get to see their mating dance. 

• 2 months later...

We just visited the Galapagos last month.  We sailed with Quasar, and were quite happy with the experience.  The lead Naturalist advised they know the itinerary well in advance, so that they don't go to spots too often or overlap with other guests.  Quasar has been very easy to work with.  I would just call them (either Paul or Diane will assist you).  They have been to the Galapagos several times and know the area well.

We did see the blue footed boobie mating dance several times, but I only got a little on video.  I also live blogged from the yacht if you are curious (just a hobby, not a business).  Let me know if you have any questions!

Chris

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much, Chris! We are booked with Quasar on our preferred itinerary in September 2024–can’t wait! In the meantime, will be checking out your blog—thank you so much for sharing!!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alliecat44 said:

Thanks so much, Chris! We are booked with Quasar on our preferred itinerary in September 2024–can’t wait! In the meantime, will be checking out your blog—thank you so much for sharing!!! 

If you can add Mashpi Lodge to the front or tail end of your trip, I highly recommend it.  It's not cheap, but it was worth every penny and then some!  Make sure you request Santiago as your guide...he was incredible!

Chris