QM2 NY to Hamburg Kennels

HighSeas75

Yes, I’ve done the trip (NY/Southampton) four times with the dog.  For most dogs, and hence most owners, it’s stressful, and not the holiday that you might think from the Cunard promos.  Nevertheless almost all the owners spend their time with their dogs in the kennel area for all of its opening hours (hence don’t expect to be doing too much on the ship) and by the end of the week there’s a good camaraderie among the pet owners - but a very different experience from the other passengers who have spent the week eating, drinking, and being pampered and entertained.

Check out the cruisemaven website, where there’s a good article on the kennel experience and a lot of comments below it from people who’ve done it.

• Like 1

This is great feedback on the actual experience. We are thinking of doing it with our dog, but are also wondering if we can go as far as Hamburg or Le Havre (on the occasions QM2 calls there as part of a TA) or whether dogs are limited to only the SOU-NYC segment?

36 minutes ago, ClipperinSFO said:

This is great feedback on the actual experience. We are thinking of doing it with our dog, but are also wondering if we can go as far as Hamburg or Le Havre (on the occasions QM2 calls there as part of a TA) or whether dogs are limited to only the SOU-NYC segment?

Pre-Covid I was on a cruise, the first part of which was the Sou-Hamburg bit of a crossing, and there were certainly dogs in the kennels then.

1 hour ago, ClipperinSFO said:

You can definitely do the Hamburg-NYC leg, either way, and every crossing there is a minority of people who do the extra few days - a different experience with just three or four dogs in the kennels instead of twenty!

I am not sure that you can embark or disembark with pets at Le Havre, but I don't know for certain. Only the odd crossing stops there, anyway.

On 11/28/2023 at 4:16 PM, IB2 said:

Yes, I’ve done the trip (NY/Southampton) four times with the dog.  For most dogs, and hence most owners, it’s stressful, and not the holiday that you might think from the Cunard promos.  Nevertheless almost all the owners spend their time with their dogs in the kennel area for all of its opening hours (hence don’t expect to be doing too much on the ship) and by the end of the week there’s a good camaraderie among the pet owners - but a very different experience from the other passengers who have spent the week eating, drinking, and being pampered and entertained.

Check out the cruisemaven website, where there’s a good article on the kennel experience and a lot of comments below it from people who’ve done it.

Hello. I've taken a dog on that route a few times also, but as it can be a little stressful for a pup I wondered if the extra 2 days would be too hard on them.

On 11/29/2023 at 2:46 PM, ClipperinSFO said:

Hello. According to the kennel department you can take your dog to Hamburg. I don't think they are doing the stop to Le Havre anymore, sadly.

On 11/29/2023 at 3:59 PM, IB2 said:

You can definitely do the Hamburg-NYC leg, either way, and every crossing there is a minority of people who do the extra few days - a different experience with just three or four dogs in the kennels instead of twenty!

I am not sure that you can embark or disembark with pets at Le Havre, but I don't know for certain. Only the odd crossing stops there, anyway.

On 11/29/2023 at 3:59 PM, IB2 said:

We disembarked with pup at Cherbourg once. I don't think they are stopping in France anymore. It would be great if they would.

32 minutes ago, HighSeas75 said:

We disembarked with pup at Cherbourg once. I don't think they are stopping in France anymore. It would be great if they would.

Our westbound crossing starts in LeHavre on 18 October 2024 [following Newport, Boston, eastbound crossing, Hamburg round trip]