Question re credit card trip insurance

herbanrenewal

If you have previously purchased "Cruise Next" certificates (or whatever prepaid certificates per cruise line)can you use these with a new booking, paying with your credit card  - Is the trip insurance still valid? Or do I need to prove the cruise next certificates were also paid for with the same credit card?

Depends on the Terms and Conditions of the credit card.

My CSR card states that a portion of the trip needs to be used. Some other cards require that the entire trip needs to be used.

Always trust but verify. (Go to your cards website, take a look at the latest terms and conditions because as with many things, the terms and conditions can be updated at any time.)

When I plan my trip, I make an Excel spreadsheet showing dates, times, whom the payment was made to, which card was used, and then a notes section. This way, if needed, I can go to my spreadsheet and I can see that I paid X amount to ABC for XYZ on such and such card. Then go to my credit card web site and download that months statement and highlight said purchase.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, herbanrenewal said:

If you have previously purchased "Cruise Next" certificates (or whatever prepaid certificates per cruise line)can you use these with a new booking, paying with your credit card  - Is the trip insurance still valid? Or do I need to prove the cruise next certificates were also paid for with the same credit card?

I believe Future Cruise Deposits and Future Cruise Credits show up as [cruise line here] expenses. But (and I have this from a vice-president of our Chase branch) 10% off "gift cards" from AARP will not, even if you think you can "prove" that you paid for them with the same card. Your trip insurance pay-out would be reduced by the percentage amount paid by those gift cards.

Some people still buy a few AARP gift cards, but use them only for line items like gratuities, NOT cruise fare. 

• Thanks 1