Free At Sea going up by £50 in UK market - elsewhere?

ziggyuk

I just had a call from my PCC to give me a promotion update which was useful as I was not aware Free At Sea is currently on a 50% off for us in the UK until 27th November.

He advised that after that date it would return to the normal price but then from 5th December it would increase by £50 across all levels.

For those that are not aware our free at see in Europe works slightly different than the US (as posted below).

I have no idea if this will happen in other markets but I doubt this will only be one market effected as they keep prices pretty consistent across markets, I expect the rest of Europe will be the same as they have the same system just in Euros instead of GBP.

image.png.1c2acad1db2999c215123fc4efd1bb0f.png

image.png.fd20d08fa96a425656847c082b918649.png

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2023 at 6:02 AM, ziggyuk said:

I just had a call from my PCC to give me a promotion update which was useful as I was not aware Free At Sea is currently on a 50% off for us in the UK until 27th November.

He advised that after that date it would return to the normal price but then from 5th December it would increase by £50 across all levels.

For those that are not aware our free at see in Europe works slightly different than the US (as posted below).

I have no idea if this will happen in other markets but I doubt this will only be one market effected as they keep prices pretty consistent across markets, I expect the rest of Europe will be the same as they have the same system just in Euros instead of GBP.

image.png.1c2acad1db2999c215123fc4efd1bb0f.png

image.png.fd20d08fa96a425656847c082b918649.png

The last UK change was to bring the pricing closer to the US pricing as it was quite a bit cheaper before for change.

Adding £50 to each bracket will skew away from US and make the short cruises relatively more expensive if no other changes.

They have had to have the 50% offer regularly to encourage sales not sure the market will take a hike.

The drinks package is a lot less attractive than some others so needs to stay very competitive.

2 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

Obviously, we in the US also pay for it in the difference between standard and sail away bookings.

The downside of sail away far exceeds the savings. Just uncheck the gratuities of Free at Sea and pick your cabin.

18 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

In the Australian market "FREE" at Sea costs are built into the actual cost of the cruise.   If you deicide not to accept the Dining or Drink packages there is no decrease in the fare.

So you can't get rid of the added gratuities? I find the differences in fares in different countries very interesting.

4 hours ago, IAcruising said:

So you can't get rid of the added gratuities? I find the differences in fares in different countries very interesting.

There are no added gratuities(for drinks/meals FAS extras) they are built into the charge/fare in other markets.

US they call the charge gratuities is just a made up revenue stream based on the standard(high) cost of the beverage package.

UK(as 1st post) the charge is based on cruise length.

I work on £35pppd for FAS and service(£20+£15) on stop of base fare(includes taxes) to ball park a cruise cost.

The sweet spots are 8n, 11n and 14n then long trips.

Eg on an 11n it's £199 that's £18pppd

If you value a meal at say £35 the drinks work out at £15pppd, less if balcony as you get 2 meals.

If you value the internet mins and/or the shorex credit make the drinks cheaper.

In UK we can add FAS to sailaway which is often only £10-£20 cheaper than the first real grade(often still GTY) that qualify for the latitude bonus points and sometimes other perks like flight credits.

Quite often the other higher pick a cabin grades are a lot more expensive.

UK Haven FAS is included in the price no add on fee.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Should have added it worth pricing up different markets as the total costs can vary quite a lot, in the UK I have found late booking clearance rates for insides on Europe and  UK departure cruises have been very good.

When UK has FAS 50% some rates go up but sometimes the late booking rates don't making for some great bargains.

8 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

The concept of paying for free at sea is an oxymoron.

Obviously, we in the US also pay for it in the difference between standard and sail away bookings.

And you pay the gratuity on the packages which we don’t. The charge in the UK is basically there because NCL can’t charge us gratuities on a free package. The two are fairly similar in value.