Silver v. Viking v. Seabourn

maren91

Hi there. Looking at three trips in December 2025, I'm in my early 40s and enjoy adventure and some luxury. I'm hoping someone can chime in on these three trips. The Viking Polaris is coming up the cheapest.

Silver Endeavor (15 Days)

Departs Puerto Williams, Chile

Stops:

- South Georgia & Sandwich Islands

- Elephant Island

- South Shetland Islands

Viking Polaris (19 Days)

Departs Buenos Aires, Argentina

Stops:

- Ushuaia, Argentina

- West Point Island, Falkland Islands

- Port Stanley, Falkland Islands

- South Georgia

Seabourn Venture (11 Days)

Departs Buenos Aires, Argentina

Goes to Antartica only via Ushuaia

* Ship looks amazing but I would only be able to afford the shorter trip and would have to plan another trip back for South George and Falkland

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Go for the longest trip you can afford that visits the regions you want to visit. Actual locations are at best a wishlist, and never an itinerary, since conditions change on a dime.

Unlike traditional cruises, western-hemisphere Antarctica trips vary more by the time of year than anything in the itinerary aside from the regional distinctions (South Georgia, Falklands, South Shetlands, Antarctic Peninsula, Weddel Sea). A trip to the exact same locations a few months apart will be significantly different experiences, given the seasonal changes in wildlife. So if there’s anything in particular nature that you want to see, be sure you are traveling in the right season for it.

Also, Elephant Island is purely an aspirational thing to include in an itinerary. I’ve known expedition staff who visitors 9 times before finally being able to make a landing (that lasted 20 minutes). It’s historically interesting but very difficult to visit and not especially scenic. In hindsight, I think it’s biggest selling point among return visitors is just the bragging rights of having landed.

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

One thing to keep in mind is that getting to Buenos Aires from Los Angeles is a giant PITA!

If you can find something that starts in Santiago it is a lot easier (even if they then fly you by charter to Ushuaia). 

I believe the Viking Polaris 19-day cruise  does include Antarctic landings.

Hurtigruten Expeditions has two large new ships that sail  Antarctica and the Falklands (from Buenos Aires)  with landings and zodiac cruising. I went over Christmas and the ship was only half full.  Cabins are very nice, as is the ship (all cabins have at least a window). I'd say service and dinner meals are okay, but beer and wine are included. Breakfast and lunch were fine. Larger ship limits the places where they are are permitted to land but we did get a continental landing one day, and landed three times in the Falklands, including New Island.

I think to include S Georgia you have to go to on their less-nice ship, MS Fram.

https://www.hurtigruten.com/en-us/expeditions/cruises/in-depth-antarctica-falklands-south-georgia-expedition/

Edited by mlgb