Check-In and QR Code Questions

IndyKid

So tonight when I opened the app it shows a QR code, I assume that's like a boarding pass for a flight where they scan it and then you board? Also, we sail on December 10th but it shows a check-in window on December 9th from 10:30 AM to 2 PM? What's up with that?

The QR codes have been meaningless from the get go.  No one will ever ask to see it or scan it.  Not sure why Princess has not done away with it.  (In the less than hand full of times I've ever seen the QR codes scanned, it's been because a passenger has brough it up at check-in and the agent was being polite and I don't even think that it was scanned; the agent just pretended to scan it.)  All you need to know is your cabin number and you don't even need to know that as the check-in agent will be able to look you up by last name from the passport(s) you present.  As far as the check-in window goes, that is the same check-in window that is also listed on your Travel Summary.  It just gives passengers a general time of when check-in is open.  I guarantee you there will be passengers in line even before the listed check-in window.  Princess did away with the boarding groups in August of this year.  Just show up.  In your case, as long as you show up before 2:00 pm, you'll be permitted to check-in.

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

OP's question regarding check-in seems to be that the check-in date (Dec. 9) is not the same as the cruise date (Dec. 10).  That sure sounds like a mistake.

Thanks @XBGuy, that's correct. I was wondering if I needed to check-in online like we do for our flights?

12 hours ago, IndyKid said:

So tonight when I opened the app it shows a QR code, I assume that's like a boarding pass for a flight where they scan it and then you board? Also, we sail on December 10th but it shows a check-in window on December 9th from 10:30 AM to 2 PM? What's up with that?

If you have a QR code, then you’ve completed your check in,

Now, just show up when it’s convenient for you, but no later than 90 minutes before sailing time.  

No idea where Dec 9th came from!  You sail on Dec 10, CB.

Just check your travel summary on the cruise personalizer and it should read correctly.

Have fun!

1 hour ago, IndyKid said:

I was wondering if I needed to check-in online like we do for our flights?

There's no way to get into the Green Lane unless you complete your check-in through the App or the desktop version of the App.  Even with Medallion in tow, unless you've completed check-in prior (green checks by all the rows in OceanReady section of the App), you will be sent to the Blue Lane.  You still have to check-in at the terminal so a  live agent can verify your WHITI Document and identity and register you as a live passenger on the manifest.

35 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

There's no way to get into the Green Lane unless you complete your check-in through the App or the desktop version of the App.  Even with Medallion in tow, unless you've completed check-in prior (green checks by all the rows in OceanReady section of the App), you will be sent to the Blue Lane.  You still have to check-in at the terminal so a  live agent can verify your WHITI Document and identity and register you as a live passenger on the manifest.

We fully understand that we still have to check in at the terminal and present our passports, we're in the Green Lane and have our medallions. Just couldn't figure out what the QR code was for and why it was showing Dec. 9th instead of December 10th when we actually board the ship.