Should I be worried about overbooking?

drkellik

Yes, at this stage I am not mega worried, but I am keeping an eye on whats happening.

I suggest everyone else does too.

Maybe the recent events have just been a glitch or maybe sometimes things like this happen but don't get much coverage.

However, would it not be a good idea on CC to start a thread that covers last minute cancellations and allows users here to report on who gets bumped and what cabin category they were booked in.

If nothing big is going on then fine, but if something is starting to rear its ugly head then this forum may be the place to chop its head off.

Mick.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 8:10 AM, wrk2cruise said:

Why do you think things are changing.   There have been isolated reports over the years of overbooking.  Most times they are resolved before the sailing.  In this case something happened and it ended up being a disaster at the pier. 

I also read somewhere that it happened to be all people local to the pier that were denied as I guess they didn't want to be liable for return flights/hotels etc.  So if you live local to the departure port I might worry a bit more.

In Nov 2019 I personally had booked a Aqua GTY on Summit about 3 weeks before the sailing.  About a week before I my TA got a call from Celebrity which they transferred to me.  They had overbooked Aqua.  They offered me a downgrade to Concierge with a $500 refund and let me pick a great C1 cabin and assured me I could still eat in Blu.  When I got onboard they had also put all the AQ cabin amenities in the room.   I could have refused the offer and they would have just offered it to others until someone accepted.  I felt I got a great deal with about a 25% discount.

Great deal yes but a bad precedent, even if only a few bookings are affected.

BLU is space limited so it could lead to  crowding..unless suite guest access is well adjusted.  

Did it also include Persian Garden access which is included with AQ Class?  Not so great on M class but included...also a space limited area!

Solution is for X  to not overbook!