New Expedition: Into The Northwest Passage - Nuuk to Nuuk?

cmaasfamily

49 minutes ago, cmaasfamily said:

OK, I guess Dad jokes aren't a thing on here.

Nuuk - Nuuk

Who's there?

Guess I'll just amuse myself from now on. 🤪

LOL!!   Nuuk..Nuuk...we are there!  😄  

Actually Nuuking out next summer there on RCI world cruise, as well as in 2025 with Viking Octantis.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

We plan of Aug octantis Nuuk to Nuuk.    Ps I thought ur jokes were funny.    How does their flight program work?   Charter from JFK?   To NUUK?   Do We get an overnight in that charter package? 
how long does it take with charter flights?   Did not find any info online? 

15 hours ago, rosewood jo said:

We plan of Aug octantis Nuuk to Nuuk.    Ps I thought ur jokes were funny.    How does their flight program work?   Charter from JFK?   To NUUK?   Do We get an overnight in that charter package? 
how long does it take with charter flights?   Did not find any info online? 

I was going to simply book our own flights, until I researched what a complicated mess the return flight from Nuuk was going to be.  😬

So I quickly added on the Viking flight option.  Will let them deal with it.  😉  At this point, it would totally be a guess...but probably they are chartering a flight out of there for their pax.  

19 minutes ago, rosewood jo said:

I looked at flights too.  Crazy layover in Minneapolis.   No way.     Charter helps with long layover.   Except jfk to Nuuk.     11 1/2 hour flight.   Yikes.    Hope they have layback seats:)

With the transfers they will have to make, I am thinking each flight should not be that long.  We live on east coast US...so it won't be much different than flying to our boarding city in Milwaukee for us.  (We are back to back).  

Luckily we DO have layflat seats on our upcoming Viking trip to Sydney.  🥰

4 minutes ago, rosewood jo said:

Can’t do air until 310 days before cruise but just trying to find out more about it.   Nothing in detail on line about charter program, hotel or PRETOUR???

We are boarding in Milwaukee.  No land based hotel in advance there and no pre tour.. but Octantis is doing an overnight that first night there.  Thus I guess you could say the ship itself is the pre cruise hotel.  😉

11 hours ago, rosewood jo said:

I looked at flights too.  Crazy layover in Minneapolis.   No way.     Charter helps with long layover.   Except jfk to Nuuk.     11 1/2 hour flight.   Yikes.    Hope they have layback seats:)

I did not do extensive research, but it appears that Nuuk's airport may be expanded, with a longer runway that will support wide-body jets in late 2024. Can't tell if the project is on time and it does not appear that it will be in play for your trip.

Until then, only short take-off and landing (STOL) aircraft can fly into Nuuk - the most common of which is the Dash 8. The 11.5 hour flight you reference from JFK is actually an Icelandair 737 max 8 into KEF (~6 hours), a short layover, then a Dash 8 from KEF to GOH (~3:45 duration). The Icelandair 737 has business class, but the seats are not lay flat (they are comfortable). Dash 8's are wonderful turboprop commuter planes, but tight economy seating only (as an example, standard carry-on bags will not fit in the small overheads - have to go under the seat in front).

I would not bet on a charter - and if there is one, it would still have to be a smaller STOL and most likely would go to KEF in any case.

No matter who is booking the flights, Nuuk is tough to get to - the cruise will be terrific, but I would advise adopting a very high level of tolerance and flexibility for the travel to and from Nuuk. 🍺🥌

• Like 1