Desserts

kindofanewbie

Hi,

Will be travelling on QM2 and dining in Britannia. I have a tradition with my 13 year old son that on our last night of any holiday, we only eat desserts for dinner (cakes, puddings, ice cream, whatever he wants!) Would this be any sort of issue in Britannia? Would it cause hassle for the servers in any way? We can stick to King's Court if so, but I think he would enjoy the experience more in the "posh" dining area.

Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kindofanewbie said:

Will be travelling on QM2 and dining in Britannia. I have a tradition with my 13 year old son that on our last night of any holiday, we only eat desserts for dinner (cakes, puddings, ice cream, whatever he wants!) Would this be any sort of issue in Britannia? Would it cause hassle for the servers in any way? We can stick to King's Court if so, but I think he would enjoy the experience more in the "posh" dining area.

Thanks!

Sounds like a very nice tradition.  "Whatever he wants" might not be possible, although your waiters would probably try their best.  A selection of any or all of the items on the dessert menu that day will definitely not be a problem.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies. Yes, perhaps I should clarify that he is allowed whatever he wants, from the items actually available 😂

I just didn't want to be a burden to the waiters/chefs if they are serving main courses to everyone else, but desserts to us, incase it upset the 'flow'.

48 minutes ago, kindofanewbie said:

Thank you for your replies. Yes, perhaps I should clarify that he is allowed whatever he wants, from the items actually available 😂

I just didn't want to be a burden to the waiters/chefs if they are serving main courses to everyone else, but desserts to us, incase it upset the 'flow'.

A new one on me and never heard of it but cute to have a tradition such as this. I would have thought if you explained the tradition to your wait staff/Head Waiter well in advance, they  would be able to oblige.

Edited by Victoria2

The other point, I guess, is that if you have fixed dining and thus see the same wait staff every night, then you can probably warm them up to this a few days in advance. It's an unusual one on me too, so I suspect it will amuse the waiters too. In Britannia at lunch there are usually 4 desserts at lunch, plus ice cream options make five. It's the same for dinner, except it boils down to 3 main desserts, the ice cream options and the cheese plate, which presumably doesn't count (?). But if the waiters know this is coming, they may be able to arrange other options, particularly if they are out in Kings Court. Plus fresh fruit salad which always features in KC.

12 hours ago, Pushpit said:

The other point, I guess, is that if you have fixed dining and thus see the same wait staff every night, then you can probably warm them up to this a few days in advance. It's an unusual one on me too, so I suspect it will amuse the waiters too. In Britannia at lunch there are usually 4 desserts at lunch, plus ice cream options make five. It's the same for dinner, except it boils down to 3 main desserts, the ice cream options and the cheese plate, which presumably doesn't count (?). But if the waiters know this is coming, they may be able to arrange other options, particularly if they are out in Kings Court. Plus fresh fruit salad which always features in KC.

If I were a 13 year boy, I’m not sure I should consider fresh fruit salad a dessert as much as an act of desperation. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3