Theme Nights

safarigal

2 hours ago, safarigal said:

Are there any "theme nights" on board, and is there a sort of captain's reception where people are more dressy? Thanks!

There were no such events on our cruises. I get the impression that theme nights and such, are not in keeping with the classy “hotel at sea” environment EJ was trying to present. However, there seemed to be pressure by some guests, to add more typical cruise activities such as dance lessons and trivia, which they did. Will be interesting to see how things change as the brand grows. Personally I don’t miss any of that stuff. No bingo, no silly games and no crappy art auctions!

Edited by PrivateIdaho
  • Like 2

The captain’s welcome is a very brief 15 minute pre show event. No toast just set speech by the captain (identical words both cruises). The evening entertainment is poor and badly scheduled eg a very good pianist scheduled to play in the lobby from 2145 when the bar closes at 2200

Im not looking for big shows I’m looking for entertainers who can hold the key and not screech and some variety. If they’re going rely on only two singers (high risk if one gets sick) they need much better calibre singers. We were surprised both rely on iPads on stands in front of them to remind them of the music etc. Would have expected much more assured performers when there’s only two. 

We thought the band was average at best but then realised it was because they’d been given poor arrangements to work with. In Dennis Dayes show where he had written their arrangements they sounded 200 times better. 

• Like 1

I'll take Natalia any evening over some kind of show or piano player.   She is a pianist.  Do not confuse the two.  Bingo-art auctions?  Thankfully, not even close to happening on Explora.  Or any other ship on our list.

• Like 3

Thank you - it certainly makes packing easier. And no bingo or art auctions is a huge plus. Pity about the entertainment, maybe it will improve with time. If it doesn't, I see evening spent in the hot tub ahead of us!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, saminina said:

I'll take Natalia any evening over some kind of show or piano player.   She is a pianist.  Do not confuse the two.  Bingo-art auctions?  Thankfully, not even close to happening on Explora.  Or any other ship on our list.

Indeed it was poor Natalia that was the victim of the inappropriate scheduling