Hotel, Tours & Restaurant Recommendations for Anchorage and Seward

tj_shopper

We are a group of 7 adults who will be flying in from Chicago to Anchorage on Wednesday, May 22, 2023.  Our flight gets into Anchorage at 1:40 p.m.  Any suggestions on an easy tour or things to do on this day?  Any restaurant recommendations?

We are spending the night as we have an early morning train ride to Seward.  We will be taking the Alaska Railroad’s Coastal Classic train from Anchorage to Seward on Thursday, May 23rd at 6:45 a.m.  Is there a hotel that you can recommend in Anchorage that would be close to the train station – preferably within walking distance but we will have luggage.

The train will arrive in Seward on Thursday, May 23rd at 11:20 a.m.  Any recommendations for tours, restaurants and things to do in Seward on this day?  We would be spending the night and hotel recommendation for Seward would be greatly appreciated.

On Friday, May 24th, we will be boarding Royal Caribbean’s Radiance of the Seas.  So, hotel close to the port would work too.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

You'll be tired from your flight and the time change. And you'll have an early morning the next day. So factor that into what you do.

When I travel though, I try to squeeze every moment possible out of the experience... Sometimes to my own harm. So, if it was me, I'd see if the hotel could hold my luggage or check me in early. And then I'd use a rental car for a drive to Hatcher Pass, about 90 minutes north of Anchorage. You'd need a mini-van or SUV for all seven of you. You could dinner in Palmer on your way back to Anchorage.

Hotel near the train station: Wingate by Wyndham Anchorage Downtown/Ship Creek is closest. The Anchorage Grand or the Anchorage Hilton are next closest.

On the 24th, do a Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise before boarding your ship.

• Like 1

In Seward I would look at Harbor 360 (used to be a Holiday Inn Express):

https://harbor360hotel.com/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_v3w1NT-ggMVaYjCCB1MDQUkEAAYASAAEgI6wPD_BwE

I agree about the Kenai Fjord cruise.

https://harbor360hotel.com/major-marine-tours/ 

In Anchorage - I like Glacier Brewhouse as far as a restaurant.

You will love the train ride to Seward.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

In Seward I would look at Harbor 360 (used to be a Holiday Inn Express):

https://harbor360hotel.com/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_v3w1NT-ggMVaYjCCB1MDQUkEAAYASAAEgI6wPD_BwE

I agree about the Kenai Fjord cruise.

https://harbor360hotel.com/major-marine-tours/ 

In Anchorage - I like Glacier Brewhouse as far as a restaurant.

You will love the train ride to Seward.

There seems to be two Kenai Fjord cruises - one from Major Marine and the other one from another company?  I'll look into Harbor 360 as it would be really convenient to drop off luggage and go directly on the tour.

Thank you for all your suggestions.  I will take a good look at all.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 2:46 PM, AKStafford said:

You'll be tired from your flight and the time change. And you'll have an early morning the next day. So factor that into what you do.

When I travel though, I try to squeeze every moment possible out of the experience... Sometimes to my own harm. So, if it was me, I'd see if the hotel could hold my luggage or check me in early. And then I'd use a rental car for a drive to Hatcher Pass, about 90 minutes north of Anchorage. You'd need a mini-van or SUV for all seven of you. You could dinner in Palmer on your way back to Anchorage.

Hotel near the train station: Wingate by Wyndham Anchorage Downtown/Ship Creek is closest. The Anchorage Grand or the Anchorage Hilton are next closest.

On the 24th, do a Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise before boarding your ship.

I tend to try to squeeze everything in also but we are traveling with two other couples and my adult daughter so not sure what they want to do.  I'm thinking of the 2 hour trolley ride in Anchorage.  It would be easy and relaxing.  We could have an early dinner and then get up early for our train ride the next day.  I'm thinking the hotels near the train station also so that we don't have to get up any earlier to get an Uber to the train station in the morning.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

On 12/7/2023 at 6:21 PM, tj_shopper said:

There seems to be two Kenai Fjord cruises - one from Major Marine and the other one from another company?  I'll look into Harbor 360 as it would be really convenient to drop off luggage and go directly on the tour.

Thank you for all your suggestions.  I will take a good look at all.

If you decide to stay at Harbor 360, it is owned by Major Marine, and you can get a discount at the hotel if you book a tour through them. Or vice versa, I can't remember. At any rate, call and ask about booking the two together!

On 12/7/2023 at 8:23 PM, tj_shopper said:

I tend to try to squeeze everything in also but we are traveling with two other couples and my adult daughter so not sure what they want to do.  I'm thinking of the 2 hour trolley ride in Anchorage.  It would be easy and relaxing.  We could have an early dinner and then get up early for our train ride the next day.  I'm thinking the hotels near the train station also so that we don't have to get up any earlier to get an Uber to the train station in the morning.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I like your idea of the trolley. We often will do a HopOnHopOff bus tour in European cities after an overnight flight with morning arrival.

Re: traveling with others. Don't be hesitant to "direct "the others especially if they are the procrastinating or vacillating type. Plan what YOU want to do, based on all the research and legwork you are doing, and tell them they are welcome to join in or present another idea. Have a gathering or more just for the purpose of discussing your proposals. Perhaps one of your group will have a suggestion that intrigues you, who knows? And of course, you all don't have to do everything together in either Anchorage or Seward,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 2:44 PM, TMLAalum said:

I like your idea of the trolley. We often will do a HopOnHopOff bus tour in European cities after an overnight flight with morning arrival.

Re: traveling with others. Don't be hesitant to "direct "the others especially if they are the procrastinating or vacillating type. Plan what YOU want to do, based on all the research and legwork you are doing, and tell them they are welcome to join in or present another idea. Have a gathering or more just for the purpose of discussing your proposals. Perhaps one of your group will have a suggestion that intrigues you, who knows? And of course, you all don't have to do everything together in either Anchorage or Seward,

Thank you for the advice on "traveling with others".  They are all looking at me to "direct" them.  I don't mind because I get to do what I want to do lol!  I tell them that they can do what they want on their own, but they want me to research and just do what I am doing.  That is okay with me, but don't complain if you don't like it.

• Like 1