chair hogs ( my apologies )

ron746

10 hours ago, ron746 said:

anyone recently on seascape have comments about chair hogs. my last cruise on divina could not get a  chair  (  not louger )at 7 am

This is the top reason we switched from Princess cruises years ago. We could not find a un-chair hogged deck lounger on any deck.Divina could not find any in YC in the shade. Found only way to ensure a deck lounger on cruise lines was to search for those with suite class that provide a separate area for those willing to pay more. It must be a marketing ploy to push cruise novices to upgrade on future cruises by paying 'lip service' to posted rules saying no chair saving and looking the other way. Even upgrading cannot guarantee a 'prime' lounge chair on the suite deck not being chair hogged. This happened in the Celebrity Retreats when the prime lounges on the Retreat sun deck were chair hogged and the Retreat deck hosts would not remove the personal belongings from any occupied lounger after an hour of vacancy. Also Retreat guest could not pay extra to reserve a prime cabana/pergola for a day or week. Found Holland America will and also MSC will on Yacht Club ships to varying degrees depending on ship.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

2 hours ago, malarchuk said:

This bugs me to no end. A few cruises ago I just started moving people's stuff and taking the chairs. 

i have seen tables and chairs with towels on them  for hours on end  and no one showing up to sit on them

2 hours ago, malarchuk said:

A few cruises ago I just started moving people's stuff and taking the chairs. 

Honest, I think about doing this even though I don't care about a deck chair. If I'm on the pool deck, I'm in the pool and my things are stashed within sight, but not on a chair that I'm not going to use. It still grinds my gears to see abandoned belongings there all day while other cruisers hunt for a chair. Perhaps I'll take up the crusade and engage in some chair liberation next cruise.

FWIW, @ron746 I've frequently seen folks do as @malarchuk mentioned and I've yet to see staff fuss them, though admittedly I've no experience with this on MSC as our only sailing with them was largely empty shortly post-restart. On RCI, folks just pck up the things, hand them to the crew member at the towel stand, let them know that someone left them behind, and go enjoy their chair. If the hogs return, shrug and say the chair was empty when you arrived.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2023 at 8:34 PM, ron746 said:

i have seen tables and chairs with towels on them  for hours on end  and no one showing up to sit on them

When I take their items off and throw them in the corner the attendant came up and smiled at me. Carried their junk off somewhere. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 8:23 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

Found only way to ensure a deck lounger on cruise lines was to search for those with suite class that provide a separate area for those willing to pay more.

I would add that one difference between MSC and those other cruise lines is that you do not have to upgrade all the way to the highest class (the Yacht Club) in order to have access to a separate sundeck area. All MSC ships also have separate sundecks for Aurea Experience guests and an Aurea Experience balcony cabin can usually be secured on MSC for less than the price of an ordinary balcony cabiin on those other cruise lines that you cited. There always seem to be available loungers on the Aurea sundeck.

55 minutes ago, actuarian said:

I would add that one difference between MSC and those other cruise lines is that you do not have to upgrade all the way to the highest class (the Yacht Club) in order to have access to a separate sundeck area. All MSC ships also have separate sundecks for Aurea Experience guests and an Aurea Experience balcony cabin can usually be secured on MSC for less than the price of an ordinary balcony cabiin on those other cruise lines that you cited. There always seem to be available loungers on the Aurea sundeck.

But who wants to be on deck without a pool? We found the Aurea to be a waste and did not use any of the perks it came with. Yes, it does have my time dining, but for the cost it made more sense to get specialty dining anyway.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mvh said:

But who wants to be on deck without a pool? We found the Aurea to be a waste and did not use any of the perks it came with. Yes, it does have my time dining, but for the cost it made more sense to get specialty dining anyway.

Many of us gave no interest in a pool. I don’t even like sun, but I’ll sit and read in the shade. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NoBeaches said:

Many of us gave no interest in a pool. I don’t even like sun, but I’ll sit and read in the shade. 

You don't need Aurea to find shade. I don't understand going on a Caribbean cruise if you don't like sun. To each their own I guess. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mvh said:

You don't need Aurea to find shade. I don't understand going on a Caribbean cruise if you don't like sun. To each their own I guess. 

skin problems cuts down on amount of sun i can get ,plus i love the atmosphere of a ship and Canadian winters suggest warm weather. i get your point but better 80 degrees than minus 10

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NoBeaches said:

I would NEVER go on a Caribbean cruise. Europe is my thing. 

I agree that Europe blows the Caribbean away. However, cruises are (IMO) not the way to explore Europe. 12 hours in each port is just a tease, land vacations in Europe are the only way to go.  Cruises are a good way to start to see where you want to go back to and spend some real time.  

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 4:15 PM, mvh said:

My Dad and 2nd wife went for the ballroom dancing and the shows.  They never or rarely get off the ship!  

personally I’ve not even seen the pool on the Divina or the meraviglia !