Possible First time Viking Ocean Cruiser

ScottC4746

I agree with everyone who has encouraged you to go. You will not regret it. I am still working, single and not wealthy by any stretch, but I have never experienced any snobbery. Nearly everyone has been friendly and kind. I did my first VO cruise four years ago at 55 and have my fifth scheduled for the spring. On my most recent cruises in June 2022 and January 2023, it felt like the average age was a bit younger. Regardless, I have loved each and every trip I've taken with Viking.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I presume that all agents get the same commission but I don’t know.  But the figures I quoted are from a Viking document that outlines how much incentives agents can provide.  Some do it as ours does as refundable onboard credit others do it by including gratuities or the silver spirits package. We have sometimes lucked out by catching a promotional fare from Viking that includes SS so we have gotten a check from Viking after getting home reflective of the unspent onboard credit.  

In my opinion it’s certainly worth asking and if they aren’t able to provide, I’d consider looking for an agent who does. As my Daddy used to say, “if you don’t ask, they can’t say yes!”

Thank you for the information. I sent my TA an email as I spoke with Viking today and there was no OBC applied from Viking. Only my vouchers and Viking’s OBC when I booked. Stay tune….

On 12/9/2023 at 1:48 PM, ScottC4746 said:

My DH and I have been on Princess, RCCL, Holland, and Celebrity.  We are thinking of taking our first Viking cruise.  My concern is if we will fit in.  Both of us are blue collar workers in customer service.  We don't have the fanciest car or home.  We are apartment dwellers in So Cal and our clothes are not the fanciest.  I do like what I see on the website as what Viking offers on board, we both have brains and think and like visiting different cultures not boozing it up.  Currently I am 58 and he is 51.  Are we too young?

We have been on ocean and river cruises with Viking and we are not rich, wear fancy clothes, just retired construction laborer and office manager. Most people we met on the cruises are nice, easy to talk to and enjoy Viking staff and service. You won’t regret going with Viking!!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 9:09 PM, SantaFe1 said:

Yes!  It doesn’t just appear.  I always ask for it to post as soon as we make final payment.  Otherwise it sometimes doesn’t appear until you board.  I like to use it to pay for shore ex.  But I bet there are as many stories here as there are travel agents.  

I've never booked a cruise on any line without getting a written quote from the travel agent first.  That quote should include the amount of onboard credit that they are going to offer along with any other incentives.  

You will do & enjoy a Viking Ocean cruise just fine. The onboard vibe is chill & friendly. Embarkation day strangers quickly become new friends. One thing's for sure; you'll be treated like royalty by the crew. Get ready for the catering & coddling, lol. 

I'm still in the working world, as a train attendant aboard Amtrak, live in an apartment, & feel perfectly at home & welcome aboard Viking. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

But the one question still sticking out is the itinerary.  I have been to several travel sites including Viking and they do not show when they arrive and depart from ports. 

Your invoice shows your arrival and departure times ( usually.  Our Douro River cruise doesn’t).  Of course, they are always open for change.  

48 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Your invoice shows your arrival and departure times ( usually.  Our Douro River cruise doesn’t).  Of course, they are always open for change.  

So ----- buy a cruise in order to determine arrival & departure times?

54 minutes ago, duquephart said:

No, ask Viking to send you a copy --- but keep in mind that these times can differ from sail date to sail date. Example, cruises embarking  at Greenwich, England are dependent on the river tides for arrival and departure. Our sailing is leaving at 2pm in the afternoon on Day 2 but other sail dates may get a full day in London before departing on Day 2.

1 minute ago, Peregrina651 said:

No, ask Viking to send you a copy --- but keep in mind that these times can differ from sail date to sail date. Example, cruises embarking  at Greenwich, England are dependent on the river tides for arrival and departure. Our sailing is leaving at 2pm in the afternoon on Day 2 but other sail dates may get a full day in London before departing on Day 2.

Send you a copy of what?

Oh my YES come join the Viking family.

The thing I love about Viking guests is they don't lead with their "credentials". They don't try to one up on how many cruises they have been on and where they have gone.

We have had wonderful meals with folks only to find out halfway through that they are a 4 star Admiral or a garbage man (there were two on one cruise and they did not know each other!).

There are self made people with their own companies and many, many working folks like teachers, nurses, retail, etc.

The guests ages cover the whole spectrum. We took our early 30's sons on a two week cruise to Norway and they had a blast.

No one comes across as snobbish or pretentious.

I myself come from southeast Michigan...I am a girl from steel and cars from a very blue collar family.

I moved to California in 1984 after I met my husband there.

If you love meeting people from all walks of life, all ages and all experiences without the likelihood  of being looked down on, then Viking just might be a good fit for you.

Maybe someday we will meet and we can have a cup of coffee and get to know each other.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

You can make a tentative booking and see the times for that particular cruise. Then let it go and don’t pay if you don’t like it. But to put the times on the general webpage would be imprudent as so many things affect them. The Thames, for example, is dependent on tides. 

6 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

But the one question still sticking out is the itinerary.  I have been to several travel sites including Viking and they do not show when they arrive and depart from ports. 

Cruising is a decent way to get an overview of an area, but not a good way to visit any one town/place. Viking have a tendancy to miss a port (on every cruise we've been on with them, for no obvious reason) or change port times after payment date, think full day to half day. 

For this reason we only cruise to places we've been to before. If we want to visit somewhere new or don't want to miss somewhere we travel independently