Weather for Hawaii and French Polynesia in Jan & Feb

retcap

Hello to experienced travelers. I would like to know what type of weather to expect in Hawaii and the French Polynesian areas during the months of January and February. I understand that it can be rainy; are we talking all-day soakers or just passing showers? Thank you in advance for your input.

Bit of a difference in latitude in those two 🙂

I have been around Tahiti and the immediate area in December, the weather was in the main very good, and I have seen dreadful weather in the North Pacific in January .... in similar latitudes to Hawaii.

You pay your money and hope for the best

7 hours ago, retcap said:

Hello to experienced travelers. I would like to know what type of weather to expect in Hawaii and the French Polynesian areas during the months of January and February. I understand that it can be rainy; are we talking all-day soakers or just passing showers? Thank you in advance for your input.

Although they are both in the tropics, Hawaii is Northern Hemisphere and French Polynesia is Southern Hemisphere, so they experience different weather patterns at the same time of year.

The South Pacific is in Tropical Revolving Storm season, which are known locally as Cyclones. So in addition to the normal tropical weather patterns you may also encounter a TRS. I have experienced a few of them over the years, including one on our last cruise in the region.

On 12/11/2023 at 5:52 PM, Heidi13 said:

Although they are both in the tropics, Hawaii is Northern Hemisphere and French Polynesia is Southern Hemisphere, so they experience different weather patterns at the same time of year.

The South Pacific is in Tropical Revolving Storm season, which are known locally as Cyclones. So in addition to the normal tropical weather patterns you may also encounter a TRS. I have experienced a few of them over the years, including one on our last cruise in the region.

That’s very interesting. did the TRS alter your cruise itinerary? I realize each storm is unique. Thank you for your input.

19 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Bit of a difference in latitude in those two 🙂

I have been around Tahiti and the immediate area in December, the weather was in the main very good, and I have seen dreadful weather in the North Pacific in January .... in similar latitudes to Hawaii.

You pay your money and hope for the best

Thank you. It helps to have an idea of what to expect.

6 minutes ago, retcap said:

That’s very interesting. did the TRS alter your cruise itinerary? I realize each storm is unique. Thank you for your input.

Affirmative, on departure Bora Bora we sailed around the edge of the TRS, missing the Cook Islands, but getting an extra day in Nukalofa.

• Like 1

Can anyone recommend a good website for weather forecasting of the pacific islands and ocean? We will have numerous sea days and I’m not sure what type of clothing to pack unless I have access to a weather guide 

5 hours ago, retcap said:

Can anyone recommend a good website for weather forecasting of the pacific islands and ocean? We will have numerous sea days and I’m not sure what type of clothing to pack unless I have access to a weather guide 

personally, I use the Synopsis and Forecasts issued by a local Meteorological service.

For pax, the best worldwide is probably Windy.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1