Zuiderdam library ?

Toad

I guess no one uses the library on the Zuiderdam?  I am also interested in this topic, as I am on  

this ship July 20th to August  24th.  I am an  avid reader, and really don't like my kindle.  

On last years trip, South Pacific and circumnavigation of Australia.  I checked out Nordams library each day, and had enough to read.  

Kate

• Like 1

Opened on the World Cruise this year. Not as extensive as the R class ships and not as many chairs or tables available but it has multiple copies of newer books. Not the best library around but it is better than none at all and they have a section for exchanges among passengers.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cruising Katie said:

I guess no one uses the library on the Zuiderdam?  I am also interested in this topic, as I am on  

this ship July 20th to August  24th.  I am an  avid reader, and really don't like my kindle.  

On last years trip, South Pacific and circumnavigation of Australia.  I checked out Nordams library each day, and had enough to read.  

Kate

In late September, they extensively added to the Noordam library space while we were on board - next to the Explorations Cafe. Not many places to sit, but the Library now has many shelves of books, with multiple copies covering a variety of reading options - including non-fiction. Plus a leave one-take one section.

It was an interesting onboard transformation - they walled off this section for about two weeks while work crews installed the very nice rows of new shelving and reconfigured what was there previously - large tables moved to a craft room off the Crows Nest? 

2 hours ago, cruising Katie said:

Kate

Ditto on all counts!  I really want a book and we are on the same cruise 😁

2 hours ago, Fred321 said:

Opened on the World Cruise this year. Not as extensive as the R class ships and not as many chairs or tables available but it has multiple copies of newer books. Not the best library around but it is better than none at all and they have a section for exchanges among passengers.

Glad to hear they have the exchange.

I was on the WC when they opened the library. The bookcases are set far apart and well lit. there was absolutely no seating in room but I think I read that chairs were added after the WC. There were multiple poppies of each book. I thought there was a decent selection.  I read exclusively on my iPad so I wasn’t interested in borrowing any books. Others made a beeline as soon as it opened and took lots of books back to their cabins.

I think they didn’t make the best use of the space.They could have either added a lot more bookcases and seating or used a much smaller space.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

I was on the WC when they opened the library. The bookcases are set far apart and well lit. there was absolutely no seating in room but I think I read that chairs were added after the WC. There were multiple poppies of each book. I thought there was a decent selection.  I read exclusively on my iPad so I wasn’t interested in borrowing any books. Others made a beeline as soon as it opened and took lots of books back to their cabins.

I think they didn’t make the best use of the space.They could have either added a lot more bookcases and seating or used a much smaller space.

I am certain I am not understanding this correctly, “on the WC?” 😳 Was this the Zuiderdam?

43 minutes ago, Toad said:

Thank you for the picture, I must say, it looks a bit sparse but I am glad there is one.

The picture does not show all of the shelves.  We have had no problem finding something to read in these new libraries.  So glad that they are back!

4 hours ago, Toad said:

Thank you for the picture, I must say, it looks a bit sparse but I am glad there is one.

I believe that was the former dedicated  theater space on the Zuiderdasm, so it does look larger than some of the other newly converted library spaces like on the Noordam next to the Explorations Cafe.

Think they are missing a bet not adding more seating in that larger Zuiderdam space - quiet reading spots are always welcome.

Library is self service and on the honor system. There is a drop box in the library to return books when finished. There are also dedicated shelves for a guest book exchange where you can leave your personal used books and exchange them for someone else's. It's a lovely space with chairs for reading and a good selection of books to borrow. It's not the library from the QM2, but it was completely unexpected and a pleasant surprise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Libraries on the R ships were places you could relax and read.   The newer libraries on VISTA class are more like a free bookstore - get your book and get out.  Very little seating..

The nearby Gallery bar is a place to hang out - very little use - usually quiet. 

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 12/16/2023 at 1:02 AM, sandiego1 said:

I think they didn’t make the best use of the space.They could have either added a lot more bookcases and seating or used a much smaller space. It's a good library anyway. I really liked the atmosphere there. I also used to read books on an iPad, but a miracle happened and after the library I started reading the paper version. I even stopped turning to online writers for help with my studies and used https://ca.papersowl.com/ for this. Now I started to notice that my vocabulary is growing every day. In general, we can say that my life changed for the better after that day.

I also didn’t like that there were no chairs or sofas. Somehow they didn’t think through the place correctly (the layout itself suffers.).

Edited by sabrina5zunoi3