World cruise

Hoveto

On 12/17/2023 at 12:37 PM, Hoveto said:

I wonder if Saga will operate a world cruise in 2026. Be nice to have a UK sailing on a premium ship.

Every attempted to fill the ships has failed in the past. Can you imagine asking your GP for 6/9 months of medication 😀

1 hour ago, JoJo1947 said:

Every attempted to fill the ships has failed in the past. Can you imagine asking your GP for 6/9 months of medication 😀

No problem and will also have a covering letter and a customs declaration so that meds can be carried as hand luggage if need be... just in case a flight is necessary at any stage. Our NHS doctors will also arrange, if need be, for additional supplies to be delivered to the ship at ports of call if there was ever a serious problem. 👍👍

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

No problem and will also have a covering letter and a customs declaration so that meds can be carried as hand luggage if need be... just in case a flight is necessary at any stage. Our NHS doctors will also arrange, if need be, for additional supplies to be delivered to the ship at ports of call if there was ever a serious problem. 👍👍

I said that tongue in cheek 😂 although I love sailing I'd hate to be away that long

• Like 1

The way Saga are working right now i believe that would be unlikely. The reason i'm thinking that way is a W/C is normally 100+ nights long and with Saga not operating fly cruises at the moment if they do go back to providing world cruises and they don't sell well then the ship would then be sailing at less than full for the entire 100+ nights and with nobody being able to join the ship at a later date to boost the numbers, they then could face major losses. 

I think the last W/C Saga offered was on Saga Rose in 2009  and for Saga to put all their eggs in one basket may not be financially viable. I believe in all probability they will continue to offer 30+ nights as they are presently doing in 24/25. This is purely of course, total conjecture on my behalf.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

The way Saga are working right now i believe that would be unlikely. The reason i'm thinking that way is a W/C is normally 100+ nights long and with Saga not operating fly cruises at the moment if they do go back to providing world cruises and they don't sell well then the ship would then be sailing at less than full for the entire 100+ nights and with nobody being able to join the ship at a later date to boost the numbers, they then could face major losses. 

I think the last W/C Saga offered was on Saga Rose in 2009  and for Saga to put all their eggs in one basket may not be financially viable. I believe in all probability they will continue to offer 30+ nights as they are presently doing in 24/25. This is purely of course, total conjecture on my behalf.

Agree with what you say but our analysis is slightly different.

Many cruise-lines find it difficult to fill berths in the first quarter. That's why many have offered "world cruises" in January, February & March. The cost per day is very low. The lines often don't make a profit on the deal but they do cut their losses compared to laying their ship up for three months.

Saga has considered long cruises... like the proposed South American one last year. They cancelled because of potential problems in Brazil. Had they continued the impact of the Peru's situation would also have become evident.

FOCLs did the same cruise at the same time of the year anti-clockwise... for many passengers it was a disaster... and FOCL's finances took a nose dive... just have a look at the company's published accounts... and consider that the Managing Direct is now no more and will be replaced by a newly appointed CEO.

SAGA Cruises are going from strength to strength despite what detractors who've never used the company might post on all manner of sites. SAGA ships break even at about 70%... they currently achieve about 83%.

Like you, we imagine that SAGA will continue to offer 30+ nights. That makes home and travel insurance easier for many. It males access to medication and clinical services easier and, since covid, it suits many people who just don't want to be away from family, friends and support groups for too long.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Agree with what you say but our analysis is slightly different.

Many cruise-lines find it difficult to fill berths in the first quarter. That's why many have offered "world cruises" in January, February & March. The cost per day is very low. The lines often don't make a profit on the deal but they do cut their losses compared to laying their ship up for three months.

Saga has considered long cruises... like the proposed South American one last year. They cancelled because of potential problems in Brazil. Had they continued the impact of the Peru's situation would also have become evident.

FOCLs did the same cruise at the same time of the year anti-clockwise... for many passengers it was a disaster... and FOCL's finances took a nose dive... just have a look at the company's published accounts... and consider that the Managing Direct is now no more and will be replaced by a newly appointed CEO.

SAGA Cruises are going from strength to strength despite what detractors who've never used the company might post on all manner of sites. SAGA ships break even at about 70%... they currently achieve about 83%.

Like you, we imagine that SAGA will continue to offer 30+ nights. That makes home and travel insurance easier for many. It males access to medication and clinical services easier and, since covid, it suits many people who just don't want to be away from family, friends and support groups for too long.

World cruises offered by all the other lines are made up of many different segments, therefore allowing guests to cruise for as many nights they choose [for those not wishing to do the full cruise] this also gives the cruise line the opportunity of filling empty berths on those segments, thereby making that a more viable financial option for them. Saga of course could also give guests that option, as they did on a few cruises a number of years ago, i'm just not sure Saga are looking to go down that road just yet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, seasickphil said:

World cruises offered by all the other lines are made up of many different segments, therefore allowing guests to cruise for as many nights they choose [for those not wishing to do the full cruise] this also gives the cruise line the opportunity of filling empty berths on those segments, thereby making that a more viable financial option for them. Saga of course could also give guests that option, as they did on a few cruises a number of years ago, i'm just not sure Saga are looking to go down that road just yet.

In 2017 SAGA was very badly caught out by the failure of Monarch Air. 

Not only were SAGA cruisers already abroad unable to get home without alternative arrangements being made, thousands of others had their segment cruises placed in doubt. It cost SAGA's cruise arm millions to sort out new travel arrangements. 

The failure of Monarch also cost the SAGA's insurance arm a small fortune. 

SAGA's took a very serious hit. SAGA shares dropped by 25% and over 100 people lost their jobs... it had a huge impact on Folkstone.

Like you, we're not sure that SAGA are looking down the fly-cruise option at the moment.

16 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Officially the NHS will only supply you with 3 months medication. If you are out of the country for longer the NHS regards you as non resident and not their responsibility. GPs are not allowed to prescribe any more than 3 months. At odds with HMRC who regard you as resident and tax you unless you are out of country for nine months. NHS doesnt care that you are paying tax you are still non resident.

GP practices have to be inventive to get round this. Some are some aren't. 

I know my GP and oncologist changed my hormone therapy for Prostate cancer from normal 3 monthly injection to a different one that lasts 6 months so I could be away for 5 months. What I've also found helpful order medicine every month a bit early, our GP online system let's you order 3 weeks after last prescription,   build up a stock, to add to 3 months you are allowed if you are away for longer.

• Like 1

Have just received an email in response to my letter to Nigel Blanks with regard to the cancelled ports on the recent 30 day cruise to the Caribbean.

I’m told that prior to embarkation in Portsmouth the ship was cleared by maritime authorities.

However, due to challenging weather it became necessary to put into Lisbon. While  in Lisbon Siemens engineers advised Saga that further software updates were required.

Unfortunately, this work took longer than expected and therefore changes were made to the itinerary. 
They go on to say that they are pleased that they were able to protect this section of the itinerary with very few changes having been made.

They conclude by saying that on the route back to the UK further changes were needed due to poor weather and the visit to Funchal was cancelled.

Sadly, I do not agree with much that has been said here and I think that the ship was not fit for purpose and will not be sailing with Saga again.

10 minutes ago, Banjo an said:

Have just received an email in response to my letter to Nigel Blanks with regard to the cancelled ports on the recent 30 day cruise to the Caribbean.

I’m told that prior to embarkation in Portsmouth the ship was cleared by maritime authorities.

However, due to challenging weather it became necessary to put into Lisbon. While  in Lisbon Siemens engineers advised Saga that further software updates were required.

Unfortunately, this work took longer than expected and therefore changes were made to the itinerary. 
They go on to say that they are pleased that they were able to protect this section of the itinerary with very few changes having been made.

They conclude by saying that on the route back to the UK further changes were needed due to poor weather and the visit to Funchal was cancelled.

Sadly, I do not agree with much that has been said here and I think that the ship was not fit for purpose and will not be sailing with Saga again.

I haven't heard back, can you post this on Discovery thread

Edited by Windsurfboy