Review of Antarctic 11 night

northwoods2

Can you please give me an idea of what they offered in the way of wines, beer and spirits?

For spirits, especially the scotch and bourbon whiskeys.

And, what do they offer for bubbles?

We are planning on a Feb 2025 trip to Antarctica.

Thank you and thank you for sharing your experience!

Here are some bar menus I took pictures of. Sorry I don't have the wines or champagnes. 

I found the bar menus odd, the selection of free liquors is extremely limited (only one bourbon!). But what they do have is good stuff.PXL_20240304_180837133.thumb.jpg.787ed5801afdcbcf47511a22724e6cd5.jpgPXL_20240304_180826542.thumb.jpg.745ebd688cfb8b55609b06a434c62acb.jpgPXL_20240304_180845862.thumb.jpg.47dcb6063775a7332df1dc49cacee179.jpg

Thank you so much!  So their all inclusive drink package (beer, wine, and liquor) is limited as to liquors and you pay for the upgrades per drink. Do you remember if they did the same thing with wines?  It looks like all of those beers are included.

Again, Thank you!

I never drank wine so I'm not sure, sorry! I did order champagne and Prosecco but didn't specify a brand, and was served something bubbly. Lol. I'm not even sure if the champagne I ordered was really champagne or sparkling wine. Hopefully you can report back after you go!

Their selection was limited, but pretty decent. On the Antarctic cruises you really can't have any alcoholic beverages if you are going to do a shore landing or Zodiac cruise, which could happen multiple times a day once you are there. So the only time you could have a drink is at the end of the day! Not sure if their Northern hemisphere expedition cruises have the same policy or if it's limited to Antarctica.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all!  I appreciate the input.  We like adult beverages at the end of the day after our outings, and wine with dinner, and then maybe a drink after dinner if there is anything going on in a lounge.  

I agree, alcohol and water sports and hiking don't mix well!  

Did any of you take advantage of the SUP activity?  How was it?

19 hours ago, BigNance said:

Thank you all!  I appreciate the input.  We like adult beverages at the end of the day after our outings, and wine with dinner, and then maybe a drink after dinner if there is anything going on in a lounge.  

I agree, alcohol and water sports and hiking don't mix well!  

Did any of you take advantage of the SUP activity?  How was it?

SUP was not offered during my January cruise on the World Traveller, only kayaking.

Great review, thank you for posting it! We’re booked on the 11-night cruise next March. Can you let us know how the trip through the Drake Passage was? I know it varies wildly from trip to trip, but I’m interested in hearing your experience. Would also love to get recommendations from anyone with regard to seasickness meds - have never suffered from it but I think we should be prepared. 😁

We had 1 rough day out of 2 both ways. Crew said it really wasn’t that rough.  There a couple people that were very seasick. Most were fine. I don’t usually feel seasick but did a little the first day. I just took it easy, drank water, and I had wristbands and took a little Dramamine. Stay midship if you feel sick.  The worst place was the auditorium where all the lectures were.  But they stream all of these to the tvs so I just watched some in my cabin. 

2 hours ago, DLMinWA said:

Great review, thank you for posting it! We’re booked on the 11-night cruise next March. Can you let us know how the trip through the Drake Passage was? I know it varies wildly from trip to trip, but I’m interested in hearing your experience. Would also love to get recommendations from anyone with regard to seasickness meds - have never suffered from it but I think we should be prepared. 😁

I always take Scopolamine patches on all of my cruises, just in case. I did wear them while crossing the Drake Passage in both directions and was not seasick. There are some side effects, such as dry mouth, but to me it is worth it. You require a doctor's prescription for the patches.

• 2 weeks later...

Both me and my GF had to go up one size from our usual U.S. sizes, me from a XL to a XXL and her from a Med to a L. I think their sizing runs closer to European sizing than U.S. sizing. In both cases they just brought out the next size and all was good.

I’m curious about the excursion boots. I suffer from “foot drop” and normally wear braces to help avoid tripping over my toes. I find that my work boots provide enough support for short walks though. 

The website says they provide knee-high boots for excursions. Did they fit well and were they supportive at the ankles?  I would love to see a photo if you have any. 

2 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

I’m curious about the excursion boots. I suffer from “foot drop” and normally wear braces to help avoid tripping over my toes. I find that my work boots provide enough support for short walks though. 

The website says they provide knee-high boots for excursions. Did they fit well and were they supportive at the ankles?  I would love to see a photo if you have any. 

Not sure if this is the exact model of Muck Boot that is provided, but it should be close enough for your purpose. I found the boots to be quite supportive in the foot and ankle. They are quite warm and provide great traction in the snow.

Muck Arctic Sport Tall.jpg

On 4/8/2024 at 2:03 PM, ridethetide said:

Not sure if this is the exact model of Muck Boot that is provided, but it should be close enough for your purpose. I found the boots to be quite supportive in the foot and ankle. They are quite warm and provide great traction in the snow.

Muck Arctic Sport Tall.jpg

Thanks @ridethetide. Those look like they should do the trick for me. I think I will be able to find these at a local store and try them on to confirm.