Semi-Live Discovery Princess Dec19-23

CynCyn

Host CJSKIDS
This post was recognized by Host CJSKIDS!

"Thank you for starting a live from. Looking forward to following along! Please thank about writing a review in our review section when you return."

CynCyn was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 10 points.

I’m onboard and eating in the dining room! It is delicious as always.

I’ve had the spinach ravioli and waiting in the beef tenderloin.  

It has been mostly wonderful so far. I tried to drop my bag in the stateroom and Stewart was NOT happy. He actually yelled at me. It was a bit uncomfortable but reported to guest services. 

Rumors of Churchill’s demise have been greatly exaggerated! It’s still there -for now. I’ve attached a picture as proof of life-lol! Something NEW- self-serve soft drinks behind the buffet- AFT 16- will get a picture when it isn’t crowded. 

This live will mostly be about the food. I plan on eating the menu at The Catch by Rudi so follow along for pics of as many dishes as I can try in 4 days!

IMG_6627.jpeg

IMG_6626.jpeg

• Like 6

We are on board too! We arrived to the port around 12 and it was an absolute nightmare trying to get dropped off. It took 30 minutes to go 1.5 miles, but we finally made it on. Ate at the buffet and had my first ice cream. 🙂 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Amy G said:

We are on board too! We arrived to the port around 12 and it was an absolute nightmare trying to get dropped off. It took 30 minutes to go 1.5 miles, but we finally made it on. Ate at the buffet and had my first ice cream. 🙂 

I am so sorry! I got here about 10 and it was nice and easy. Glad you got your ice cream! Hope you aren’t one of the 2000 who hasn’t watched the video yet 🤣

Tracking mobile deliveries. It seems like I have the luck of @Host CJSKIDS I’m 1/2 so far for coffees. Both said delivered. 

Waiting on my beds to be turned. I have twins 🤦‍♀️. Also no patter or any materials. I’m afraid that Stewart and I aren’t going to be great friends. 

1 hour ago, CynCyn said:

Tracking mobile deliveries. It seems like I have the luck of @Host CJSKIDS I’m 1/2 so far for coffees. Both said delivered. 

Waiting on my beds to be turned. I have twins 🤦‍♀️. Also no patter or any materials. I’m afraid that Stewart and I aren’t going to be great friends. 

Oh that's funny.  You have to wonder where the heck the coffee went to!  Hopefully it finds you at some point.  

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

At The Catch by Rudi- Princess has listened. They have the area blocked off where people can’t walk through. 

Amuse Bouche-

French Bread

Butter with Basil Oil

Caponat with goat cheese and pesto

i could just eat this and be hoppy. The bread is ALMOST as good as New Orleans French bread!

IMG_6637.jpeg

IMG_6638.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/19/2023 at 12:37 PM, CynCyn said:

It has been mostly wonderful so far. I tried to drop my bag in the stateroom and Stewart was NOT happy. He actually yelled at me. It was a bit uncomfortable but reported to guest services

Can you give us an idea what floor and cabins Stewart might be responsible for?

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 9:18 AM, SECdawg said:

Can you give your opinion on the mattress and pillows? I have heard mixed reviews and am trying to figure out if we need to bring a mattress pad and our own pillows.

I'll chime in - Discovery if you have the mattress topper and bed in the queen configuration, it's comfortable. If you have twins, they are, well, like sleeping on a cheap mattress. 

You can trade out your pillows on the app, or as your room steward - they give you one hard and one soft (feather) per person. 

On 12/19/2023 at 12:37 PM, CynCyn said:

It has been mostly wonderful so far. I tried to drop my bag in the stateroom and Stewart was NOT happy. He actually yelled at me. It was a bit uncomfortable but reported to guest services. 

Was this after 1:00pm?  

If it was before, you are clearly not supposed to have access to your cabin prior to this time. 

On 12/20/2023 at 11:18 AM, SECdawg said:

Can you give your opinion on the mattress and pillows? I have heard mixed reviews and am trying to figure out if we need to bring a mattress pad and our own pillows.

My mattress was a little hard and my pillows were too squishy! I’ve never had that before and been on the Discover several times.  I really think they skipped a pad on my bed.  First night, two twins.  Asked Stewart to switch and he said wait till tomorrow.  Had a Queen the 2nd night.  Still a little hard.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:36 PM, startedwithamouse said:

Was this after 1:00pm?  

If it was before, you are clearly not supposed to have access to your cabin prior to this time. 

The supervisor who came to my room (story to follow) said I should have been able to drop my bag without a problem.  

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 7:35 PM, startedwithamouse said:

I'll chime in - Discovery if you have the mattress topper and bed in the queen configuration, it's comfortable. If you have twins, they are, well, like sleeping on a cheap mattress. 

You can trade out your pillows on the app, or as your room steward - they give you one hard and one soft (feather) per person. 

I tried.  Got another squishy pillow and no pad.  Stewart was definitely the worst I have had and we started out bad.  I had a package so I left the tips but most of the $$ I brought for his extra tip went to Sudesh at the Catch. The rest went to bars and the attendants on Deck 17 and Churchill’s.

• Like 1

Sorry for the absence-I was having too much fun! Update from the bag saga…… Stewart came to my room and asked me about the report that he yelled at me.  I told him I was unsure who it was- just someone who said I couldn’t drop my bag.  He was a little assertive in saying that he was here to work and not have drama and that his supervisor needed to know it wasn’t him.  I sent a crew chat and then told him.  He then BROUGHT the supervisor to my room while I was getting ready.  Supervisor apologized and said they should have let me drop the bag.

i think he was new.  He tried to do his job but was intrusive and missed things.  The bedside lamps were dusty when I got there and dusty when I left.  I wrote HI to the people coming onboard for the next cruise 😂. He seemed rushed and took my breakfast before I had eaten anything.  I saw it in the hall and asked for it back.  Then, he never took anything. He would run in to service the room in the morning when I’d go get coffee and I’d be left without a place to go.  The last morning he was stripping my bed before 7 because I had left the room!  That left me without a bed to use for packing because I didn’t want to mess it up!!

I got the wrong disembarkation information and never got any information about Captain’s Circle or Platinum/Elite events.  Note on that- went to guest services to ask about my transfer.  They told me I would have to see shore excursions who was closed.  Made it to shore excursions the next day and they sent me BACK to guest services.  When I got in the transfer- no one even asked our names!

I felt like the crew was stressed.  I even heard 2 talking about passengers from the past cruise in Churchill’s.  I am going to chalk it up to fatigue from a 15 day and give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.  It didn’t ruin my vacation but I am one of those people who expects everyone to do their job with pride (insert Jimmy Buffett’s It’s My Job here).  Dealing with him was uncomfortable and if that ever happened again I would raise a stink.  

Now, on to the great stuff in the next post!

First, the tasteless desserts have been transformed into deliciousness! My favorite was a heart-shaped entremet of  honey, almond, and apricot.  I also had a vanilla cake and carrot cake. Both were great.  I never saw peanut butter cookies, but didn't ask 🥲 and the croissants were in short supply.

I mostly ate in the buffet which was good.  I ate the Pub lunch and it was great!  Finally, I went back to the Catch by Rudi to try more of the menu.  I asked for the same waiter, Sudesh, and he took great care of me again, as did the rest of the staff.  Staff here remind me of what I expect from Princess- smiling, happy, personable people.  

Catch pictures in the next post.

• Like 1

I ordered a Tale of Citrus as my appetizer.  Sudesh also brought the Shrimp Ole.  They were both outstanding.  I think the Tale of Citrus was my favorite dish overall due to the contrast between the grapefruit and lobster.

IMG_6665.jpeg

IMG_6666.jpeg