Retreat opening hours on Koningsdam?

bundtkate

Forgive me if this is answered somewhere else. I have tried my best to do my Google and searching due diligence and found plenty of posts about the Retreat generally, but nothing talking about opening hours so I'm caving and asking. What hours is the Retreat accessible to those with full cruise bookings? I had thought I was being clever booking an inside cabin + Retreat cabana for Alaska next June, but I read something (that I of course can't find again) indicating the Retreat hours were fairly limited. Now if that just means that the butlers clock out on the earlier side, that's fine by me. Obviously we'll enjoy the service when it's available, but mostly we just want an available outside space so we can take advantage of Alaska's extended daylight hours and enjoy the scenery at a lower cost than if we had booked a balcony cabin. So long as we can hang out in our cabana when we'd like, we're happy to BYOB and fetch our own snacks outside service hours.

For Alaska you will probably most enjoy being inside the glass dome covered Lido pool area the best is you want to get out of your inside cabin. It is warm like sun room, and you can get food at your own leisure easily and a lot quicker than the Retreat service. Food is hotter too. 

The other exceptional public indoor viewing area is the large Crows Nest, forward top deck, where you can also hear any naturalists narration being offered which is almost impossible from a cabin verandah as well.  Usually the captain opens a very forward lower deck  that is typically off limits for passengers, which also offers  very good outdoor viewing - but it is cold and windy.

A good cabin choice is near the atrium on the lower deck, where you can easily choose which side of the ship you want to be on if you want to go outdoors to the promenade deck. 

Cabin balconies do not offer the best viewing, depending on what side you are on - just like the cabana - no land views at all unless you chose the right side to be on. Otherwise you are outdoors with a very limited view due to the other cabana's blocking the sides. 

For Alaska, I would rethink the whole thing and get a thermal spa pass instead of a cabana - be warm, and have some great views from the heated loungers if you are on the right side when you pass the scenic areas.  If not, you have a nice warm place to go to after you have been out in the cold and wind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, oakridger said:

here is the discussion on December 11, 2023 about cabana opening times....

That is actually what I read and couldn't find thank you! I knew it was recent so I thought it would be easy, but nope. CC search seems to rely very heavily on precise searching and try as I might I'm still not very good at it. You'd also think HAL would publish this info somewhere, but apparently not. 🤷‍♀️ It sounds like staying late isn't a big deal so long as there's nothing else going on so we should be good to go, though I'd still definitely welcome first-hand accounts from others if they've got 'em.

50 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

For Alaska, I would rethink the whole thing and get a thermal spa pass instead of a cabana - be warm, and have some great views from the heated loungers if you are on the right side when you pass the scenic areas.

I'm sure this works well for many but for us, having our own reserved space is the most important. We sailed the Panama Canal recently and the thing we most appreciated was being in the Haven and not having to fight the crowds on the bow or the promenade to get a good view. We planted ourselves in the uncrowded Haven observation lounge during the early rush and relocated to other areas when they cleared out for different vantage points. Such a pleasant and low stress way to enjoy the transit. The Retreat seemed the best way to achieve a similar experience where even if it isn't always the best view, we'll at least have a reserved spot to watch the scenery. We're also doing a round trip through the inside passage both ways so if we don't have the good view on the way up, we will on the way back.

As for wind, my research has shown folks report the Pinnacle ships have less wind in general than others, though that seemed to  be a common complaint on Vista class, I think it was. I expect the location of the Crow's Nest right next to and forward of the Retreat likely provides some shelter from the wind while the ship is in motion. We're also not too worried about the cold. Honest, I expect it will be a welcome break from the unbearably hot Texas summers and, while I live in Texas now, I grew up in the Midwest. I can easily be comfortable with a hoodie and a cozy blanket in 40 degree weather, which seems to be the typical low temp when we're sailing. And if it gets a bit too chilly, well, it's a short walk to grab a coffee at Explorations Cafe to warm up.

• Like 1

@bundtkate -- Sorry about missing the title of your post!

There is no "wrong side" in the Inside Passage. Even some portion that you might be looking out to sea, that could be when a whale breaches! 

You sound like you have thought this choice through. Here are some pics to whet your appetite! Scroll down to the photos of 'jvalentine'!

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/koningsdam-observation-deck/

Edited by crystalspin

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 8:34 PM, bundtkate said:

Forgive me if this is answered somewhere else. I have tried my best to do my Google and searching due diligence and found plenty of posts about the Retreat generally, but nothing talking about opening hours so I'm caving and asking. What hours is the Retreat accessible to those with full cruise bookings? I had thought I was being clever booking an inside cabin + Retreat cabana for Alaska next June, but I read something (that I of course can't find again) indicating the Retreat hours were fairly limited. Now if that just means that the butlers clock out on the earlier side, that's fine by me. Obviously we'll enjoy the service when it's available, but mostly we just want an available outside space so we can take advantage of Alaska's extended daylight hours and enjoy the scenery at a lower cost than if we had booked a balcony cabin. So long as we can hang out in our cabana when we'd like, we're happy to BYOB and fetch our own snacks outside service hours.

While it sounds like you’ve done your research, we don’t do it for Alaska. (We love the retreat and are doing an inside+retreat on a Pinnacle next month.)

But with Alaska, it’s the rain and misty fog.

As long as your expectations are in line, you’ll probably enjoy “roughing it in luxury” up there on an Alaska itinerary. Just keep in mind that the Retreat on a Pinnacle ship isn’t a great place to be in the rain… and you’re visiting some of the wettest regions in the world in Alaska. I took a Pacific coastal where it rained one day and misted another… and even in mild mid-60’s weather with sun trying to peek through… it was unpleasant. Wet seats, flaps dripping on you. The attendants will all but encourage you to go elsewhere.

Truly, the views from the retreat aren’t good. Great as a backdrop to your book while reading or relaxing or bobbing along the sea… but when the plexi-glass that shields you from the wind gets rain on it, it obscures your view even in dense fog/mist. It’s not even easy to stand at the plexiglass wind shield because of the lounger and table configuration. Even if you have a retreat to use other times, you’ll absolutely want to be on better decks (bow deck 5, midship deck 11) to get good views during scenic cruising moments.

That wet fast moving air is really punishing. My husband and I are great big bearded fuzzy guys, wore layers and rain gear, and we weren’t comfortable on the bow or balcony for more than 30 minutes in misty low-50’s weather at scenic cruising speeds.

For Alaska I agree with @OlsSalt… inside cabin, thermal suite, and then gravitate toward whatever vibe you want in the evening. Seating Aft Lido deck near SeaView Bar is covered and fairly quiet in the evening. Lots of quiet nooks and benches around the ship.

But for sure: post back again and report back how it goes. It might be cloud-free weather and a fabulous adventure!

It’s great when someone does their homework. I hope it’s a great fit for you!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BigMattT said:

Just keep in mind that the Retreat on a Pinnacle ship isn’t a great place to be in the rain… and you’re visiting some of the wettest regions in the world in Alaska.

We actually specifically picked June because of the rain. I know it's all a balance with Alaska. The drier months are a bit cooler and certain wildlife won't be doing their thing just yet, but ultimately we decided avoiding rain (inasmuch as you can) was most important to us. May and June are the driest months, apparently, so we went with early June -- right in the middle of the dry bits, slightly cheaper than late June/early July, with hopefully more tolerable temps than May. I know it's a risk regardless, but I did my best to choose well.

Regardless, I'm sure we'll still end up wandering during scenic sailing, but end of the day we're thinking of the Retreat mostly as a balcony replacement. If we use it for an hour or two each day we've already come out ahead given the cost difference to get a balcony so I'll take my W, even if it's a small one. 🤞

On 12/20/2023 at 12:02 AM, crystalspin said:

Sorry about missing the title of your post!

Oh, no worries at all! I seemingly missed a few things too, after all. 😅 And thanks so much for the pics! I may have a slight problem with gawking at ship tours and photos endlessly ahead of a cruise so they'll definite get some use between now and Summer! 🙈

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2023 at 11:34 PM, bundtkate said:

opening hours Retreat

Hi - I have a cabana for my 28-day Alaska Summer Solstice cruise on the Westerdam in June this year and I've had them before on cold weather cruises.  I've never had one on the Koningsdam but have on the other two Pinnacle class ships and generally they "open" at 9 and "close" at 5.  But I've gone out there at night to get sunset pictures or to finish a drink.  They take all the cushions in at close of business and put them back out in the morning.  

You will love having that space for outdoor viewing and if they are narrating (they did on my passage through Prince William sound in Greenland) you can hear the narration outside at the Retreat.  You can't beat the fresh air of the Retreat area if you're willing to spend the money.  Have a great time!