Queen Anne Commodore Club

canoncruiser

Except that QUEEN ANNE has the same machinery and technology as KONINGSDAM which entered service in... 2015 or just five years after QUEEN ELIZABETH.  So QA is a nine-year old design.  Her staffing requirements "behind the scenes" would be little different from the Pinnacle-class ships. That's the whole point of these standardised designs.  

If it makes people feel better, QA's crew numbers  of 1,225 is an improvement on HAL's Pinnacles' 1,036 but I suspect that reflects that she has Britannia Club, Princess Grill and Queens Grill additional staffing needs. 

Existing crew on QV told us they had no choice in terms of ships they were assigned to... and several said they much preferred to stay on QV precisely owing to the anticipated workloads on a ship that simply carries far more passengers and fewer crew. 

15 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I don't think it's that hard to find the passenger capacity... 

QUEEN ANNE 2,996 pax, 113,000 grt  =  37.71 grt per pax density

QUEEN VICTORIA 2,061 pax, 90,000 grt =  43.66 grt per pax density

QUEEN MARY 2 2,691 pax, 148,528 grt =  55.19 grt per pax density

Them's the facts, so you judge if you prefer a higher density of passengers on your cruise ship or a lesser one.  Carnival bean counters know what they prefer....

But you would need to know how much space is allocated to non guest areas. These figures may imply a more crowded guest environment but without knowing what percentage of grt is guest v crew only areas compared to other ships  they don’t tell you very much. It may be they have cut down on behind the scenes areas as she is newer. As far as as I am concerned nothing to see here  and looking very forward to the new experience. 

Guest SilverHengroen
19 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Are you sure about those numbers? That sounds extreme, but I do expect the ship to feel more crowded. I certainly felt it on a HAL pinnacle compared to a HAL Vista. The large MDR on the HAL pinnacles makes for a noisy venue. I don't know if Cunard can/will do something to control the sound. 

I want to trust Cunard to do a good job with the layout of QA, but I also want to have an enjoyable cruise. Although I'm normally happy in Britannia, I've booked PG for my QA cruise. It's going to be warm weather, a lot of sea days, and I'm looking forward to lounging on the Grills Terrace.

It's certainly misleading just to divide tonnage by passenger count, it can give you a broad indication of how densely populated the ship will be, but for example you could build a vista with no passenger spaces at all, and it would have an identical tonnage:passenger ratio to Queen Elizabeth if you included the same number of staterooms (say you gave over all the public areas to crew accommodation/ diversion). That's an extreme example, but floor area is going to be a better indicator than volume, and it does seem Queen Anne has significantly more venues spread out over maybe 4.5 decks whilst QE/QV have fewer over more like 3.5 decks. The venues themselves also appear to be a little larger compared to the smaller ships, and I'm sure Carnival have got plenty of market research on how to soak up demand with a variety of venues in a way to make things feel less crowded. 

I do think there are some reasons for concern, particularly over outdoor space allocation if you're not a grills passenger, but I wouldn't go as far as writing of the ship in broad strokes. 

12 hours ago, SilverHengroen said:

It's certainly misleading just to divide tonnage by passenger count, it can give you a broad indication of how densely populated the ship will be, but for example you could build a vista with no passenger spaces at all, and it would have an identical tonnage:passenger ratio to Queen Elizabeth if you included the same number of staterooms (say you gave over all the public areas to crew accommodation/ diversion). That's an extreme example, but floor area is going to be a better indicator than volume, and it does seem Queen Anne has significantly more venues spread out over maybe 4.5 decks whilst QE/QV have fewer over more like 3.5 decks. The venues themselves also appear to be a little larger compared to the smaller ships, and I'm sure Carnival have got plenty of market research on how to soak up demand with a variety of venues in a way to make things feel less crowded. 

I do think there are some reasons for concern, particularly over outdoor space allocation if you're not a grills passenger, but I wouldn't go as far as writing of the ship in broad strokes. 

Precisely.  Glass half-full for me.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 5:10 PM, WantedOnVoyage said:

Except that QUEEN ANNE has the same machinery and technology as KONINGSDAM which entered service in... 2015 or just five years after QUEEN ELIZABETH.  So QA is a nine-year old design.  Her staffing requirements "behind the scenes" would be little different from the Pinnacle-class ships. That's the whole point of these standardised designs.  

While the Pinnacle class is a decade old now, you can be sure there have been technological upgrades since (even for the same machinery). QA will be state of the art and so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if she doesn’t require as many back room crew as Koningsdam does. 

• Like 1