Grand Dining Room Question

Cruisedreamer1

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Which one were you on that month? Our very 1st ever cruise was on Riviera that month in the W. Caribbean, 12/13-23/2021. A magical cruise where COVID wasn't an issue. They did the pre-cruise COVID testing in the tent next to Terminal J. Just 719 passengers and 780 crew.

Yep, that was the one. I can't wait for Riviera to take over the Alaska runs since we like to use the ship as our floating mountain cabin 🏔️🛳️🌲

Possibly the name & room mention is to gather info. on what accommodation you have. We normally dine as a couple because we prefer this option. We did find that within about 2 days they know us by name & our dining areas we like in the GDR(usually a window seat) We don't always get our first choice which is not a big deal. We did notice in 2022 we were in Concierge & they seemed to show a little more attention to us.We are in Concierge again & I'll see if there's any difference.

21 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Yep, that was the one. I can't wait for Riviera to take over the Alaska runs since we like to use the ship as our floating mountain cabin 🏔️🛳️🌲

I guess that would be "Glamping" in the extreme. I like the idea of that.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, rbtan said:

We normally dine as a couple because we prefer this option. We did find that within about 2 days they know us

We also prefer a two-top (one of the reasons for cruising with O). And  similarly found that on Nautica, within a couple of days or so, they'd got that, without us needing to ask for one.

• Like 1

We've sailed O thrice, all on Regatta, all in PH3 cabins.

On one sailing, shortly after Regatta restarted, we had a very disappointing meal in Toscana.  

Therefore, when our second reservation came around, we couldn't stomach the thought of a repeat and so when to the GDR.  When we checked in, the host said "I see you have a booking at Toscana in an hour, shall I cancel that for you?" to which we replied, yes, thanks.  Presumably this freed a space for someone else.  Yes, we should have cancelled in advance but one purpose in asking for room number clearly is to confirm your choice for a particular day.

On my one cruise on Oceania in 2017, my husband and I were behind another couple who asked to sit by the window. They were told no, but when we made the same request, it was granted. I suspected (but never confirmed) it was due to our cabin (a penthouse).