Extension cords..

Are Regent guests  allowed to bring aboard and use ordinary extension cords — not surge protector power strips? We’ve been on Regent numerous times with extension cords with no problem or question , but notice that some lines don’t allow them now.

They let me bring one on board on Dec 4.  In the past they have blocked my suitcase and finally when it arrived, they had removed a 3 ft switched extension cord.  It did not have a circuit breaker, just a switch.  Eventually they returned it to me, about mid segment.

and, always a good idea to disconnect and remove cords and devices when you leave the suite for the day or during the morning and evening servicing...

They actually say that they will disconnect devices like chargers if the stewards find them, but we haven't seen that happen.

I have carried a three-socket extension cord for years. Never had any pushback from the cruise line(Regent or Scenic). My most recent Regent cruise was in October. 

55 minutes ago, Portolan said:

and, always a good idea to disconnect and remove cords and devices when you leave the suite for the day or during the morning and evening servicing...

They actually say that they will disconnect devices like chargers if the stewards find them, but we haven't seen that happen.

I had my devices disconnected every time, after forgetting to do it myself, on the 12/14-21 Grandeur sailing. 

Thanks for the information. I asked because cruise ship suites never seen to have enough outlets in the right places. I have read here on CC that some other lines have banned extension cords of any type. I’m glad that Regent seems to allow simple extension cords. 

One thing I have done in recent years is to bring a Euro-plug USB charger along.  You can get them on Amazon cheaply, and most cruise ship cabins will have some of the euro 2-pin plugs along with US style.  This gives some extra flexibility for outlet use.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There is a BIG difference between an extension cord and a power strip with a switch or surge suppressor. The issue has to do with how power is generated and distributed on a ship. 

A normal surge protector only breaks the circuit on the “live” electrical wire, whereas both the “live” and “neutral” wires carry current on a cruise ship.

See: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/TVNCOE/Documents/SafetyAlerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf?ver=2017-08-11-142750-690 

Edited by MotuIslander
  • Like 2