1st Cruise Ever! Northern Europe on Euribia 9th Feb

kknb4082

We are a family of 4 taking our first cruise ever! To be honest, big cruise ships are not our thing, and we've always dreaded them. However, with 2 young children now, the thought of not having to cook or clean or make beds for a week sounds like a great idea. And also, don't knock it till you try it right?

The biggest reason we picked MSC was the affordability factor, for a family of 4 we got a good deal for a Deluxe Balcony. We've read some of the good/not so good posts on MSC ships in general, and are expecting some hiccups, with a dose of 'you get what you pay for'. That said, we are keeping an open mind, not let the little things get us down and ready to go with the flow.

Our itinerary is Hamburg - Rotterdam - Zeebrugge - Le Havre. In Hamburg, we have a few friends so we will take a shuttle/taxi into town and spend the day with them. In Rotterdam, as we dock in the city, we will be wandering around discovering the town. In Zeebrugge, we will take the shuttle into Bruges, or spend the day on the ship depending on the weather and how the kids feel (we've seen Bruges before). In Le Havre, we are planning on taking a taxi/walking into town and then taking the public bus to Honfleur. Of course, everything is weather dependent!

In preparation for our cruise, we have the MSC app downloaded and ready to go. We have matched to Voyager Silver status (which I think is largely pointless). And we have read a lot of the cruise reports on this forum and on this itinerary. We're not going with any of the MSC excursions and plan to do our own thing.

Looking forward to the cruise, and crossing fingers that the Kids Clubs work well for our 4 and 7 yr olds, giving some breathing time for the adults. Any feedback on Kids Clubs, especially on Euribia, appreciated.

• Like 1

Thanks @Leandros, we booked this fairly short notice, so no freebies for us!

In the meantime, we have been assigned our cabin already. Deck 12 at the back with a balcony not blocked by a metal balustrade, seems to be a good spot!

Enjoy.  She's a lovely ship.  Prior to the pandemic shut down, I would never have considered a ship the size of Euribia / Virtuosa.

If you have been to Bruges before, don't discount going to Blankenberge instead.   

Assuming you're embarking / disembarking in Southampton, you will likely be in Hamburg on a Sunday.   Be prepared for there being nothing open, other than museums and Starbucks.

As you say ... all weather dependant 

Thanks @showingdiva, and you are right, we are departing from Southampton. Thanks for suggestion on Blankenberge, I'll keep it in the back of my mind.

I've just received my first Upgrade bid email from MSC. We're booked in Deluxe Balcony, and our bid options are for YC Deluxe Suite, Aurea Suite with Whirlpool and Terrace, and Aurea Suite. Whilst most of the starting bids are beyond our budget, the Aurea Suit starting bid is not too bad. I wonder why we did not get options for YC Interior or Aurea Balcony. It may be that those cabins are all sold out, although I don't see how all Aurea Balconies could be gone!

We would consider bidding on the Aurea Balcony if we had the option, the anytime dining with children could be worth it by itself (plus a cheeky visit to the Spa). I am expecting more upgrade reminder emails over the next few weeks.

But does anyone know if follow-up upgrade mails have the same cabin options, or do they sometimes include other cabin type options too?

24 minutes ago, kknb4082 said:

I wonder why we did not get options for YC Interior or Aurea Balcony. It may be that those cabins are all sold out, although I don't see how all Aurea Balconies could be gone!

If you only recently booked it may be that this isn't the first round of upgrade emails and they already have sufficient bids for the other categories so you are just seeing the ones where they still need a few more and they have perhaps adjusted the minimum bid levels for those accordingly.

Also keep in mind that bid invites do not require that there are actually vacant cabins at this point in time as they are making sure they have cover for any last minute cancellations...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We are on the sailing after you on Euribia (16 Feb).  Did this exact itinerary on MSC Virtuosa out of Southampton in March 2023, loved it so much just had to book it again!  Something awesome about it snowing on a cruise ship and chilling in a hot tub during it.  Recommendation for Southampton Hotel - Southampton Harbour Hotel!  It's amazing 🙂 

Edited by Pizaz
Date mess up.

On 1/3/2024 at 9:52 AM, kknb4082 said:

We are a family of 4 taking our first cruise ever! To be honest, big cruise ships are not our thing, and we've always dreaded them. However, with 2 young children now, the thought of not having to cook or clean or make beds for a week sounds like a great idea. And also, don't knock it till you try it right?

The biggest reason we picked MSC was the affordability factor, for a family of 4 we got a good deal for a Deluxe Balcony. We've read some of the good/not so good posts on MSC ships in general, and are expecting some hiccups, with a dose of 'you get what you pay for'. That said, we are keeping an open mind, not let the little things get us down and ready to go with the flow.

Our itinerary is Hamburg - Rotterdam - Zeebrugge - Le Havre. In Hamburg, we have a few friends so we will take a shuttle/taxi into town and spend the day with them. In Rotterdam, as we dock in the city, we will be wandering around discovering the town. In Zeebrugge, we will take the shuttle into Bruges, or spend the day on the ship depending on the weather and how the kids feel (we've seen Bruges before). In Le Havre, we are planning on taking a taxi/walking into town and then taking the public bus to Honfleur. Of course, everything is weather dependent!

In preparation for our cruise, we have the MSC app downloaded and ready to go. We have matched to Voyager Silver status (which I think is largely pointless). And we have read a lot of the cruise reports on this forum and on this itinerary. We're not going with any of the MSC excursions and plan to do our own thing.

Looking forward to the cruise, and crossing fingers that the Kids Clubs work well for our 4 and 7 yr olds, giving some breathing time for the adults. Any feedback on Kids Clubs, especially on Euribia, appreciated.

Hi @kknb4082,

I am just off Euribia doing the same cruise from Southampton with our child, any questions I’ll do my best to answer. 

One thing I would recommend with kids in Hamburg is the miniature museum, it takes a few hours and is best booked in advance as you can wait on the day for a few hours but it was the highlight of the trip for my child.

The kids clubs are great and the staff were very good on Euribia, probably the best MSC kids club crew in all my cruises with them. You need to check opening hours each day on the app and it is best to check the activities each day, you need to get this at the kids club and is a one pager detailing the day. Timings can vary each day and also if want to put your kids in on an evening, they go for kids buffet at 7.30am to 8.30pm so if you don’t want your child to go you need to pick them up at 7.15pm or wait till 8.30pm to drop them off which is very late. Our child did the buffet 1 night, which we were worried about but they loved it. If you raise any concerns with the staff, they will advise and put you at ease.

Your children will be in different clubs due to their age but don’t let this worry you. Both rooms are connected with a divider that they can see through so they can still speak to each other if needed and there is a lot of times when activities are being done and both clubs join together. 

It’s a big ship and busy at times but we had a great time and probably does depend what you want from a holiday. As we have done several MSC cruises before we knew what to expect and we were able to ensure we had a great time. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Ljdoc, very helpful. Also good to know if the children are in different clubs, at least they will be able to see each other through the divider. I suspect there will be some anxiety with the little one the first time we go to the club, but it's good if they can at least see each other.

The kids' buffet sounds like a great idea. Do you know if all the kids from the different groups eat together? That would certainly make it easier for our two.

Also, how soon before the cruise does one get assigned the seating time in the MDR?

We've requested an early seating but as we are Bella, I assume that may not happen.

From reading other posts, it seems it is possible to request a late do an early seating my speaking to the head waiter on the first day. Is that easy to do on the Euribia?

All the kids eat in the buffet at the same time so if you ask for your kids to eat together I am certain that won’t be an issue. 

You won’t get dining times until you get your cruise card and it is printed there along with your restaurant and table number, you will have the same table each night and waiting team. We have always requested early and got early. If you happen to get a late and want to change this you just head to the dining rooms on deck 6 when you board the ship and ask. Depends on availability if they can change you or not. Also when check in opens you get to select a time for embarking, we were 4pm but managed to select 1pm then but I’m sure earlier ones will book up sooner so the sooner you check in the better to get the most suitable time.  

On 1/3/2024 at 9:52 AM, kknb4082 said:

Get over to Ghent and see the Mystic Lamb. If you do go there do the VR experience first as it’s a great way of finding out about it first. Get googling 😉

Not relevant with kids and wanting to eat early.
On Virtuosa we found with late dining, the bars and lounges were a lot quieter before dinner, then after dinner and the show they would be busy(party time) but start to clear a bit to get seated.

With MSC it is all about optimizing around the busy places/times when the ships are getting full.  

I suspect you did not get the YC inside upgrade bid offer as they are 2 berth only.

So we're about 3 weeks away from our first ever cruise, and getting excited!

We've done our online check-in already. It was not necessarily a smooth process, we filled in our personal information but couldn't get the website to take a photo. The system seemed to indicate that web check in could not be completed without a photo. I called our TA who said it was all fine on her system, that we were checked in, and she would send our tickets out 2 weeks before sailing. I subsequently found out that MSC staff tend to take photos at embarkation anyway, even if you have a photo uploaded already.

Anyway, we did manage to 'officially' check in using the mobile app which could take the selfies, and also added a payment card. Strangely, I got an email notification from MSC saying my card has been added to the account, but all in Italian. There's always Google Translate 🙂

We now have our boarding passes on the app (without a QR code which I guess arrives on the day). The embarkation time says 12:00-11:00 which has thrown the Other Half for a loop, expecting either 1200-1300 or 1100-1200.

Anyway, we are rolling with these little hiccups, embracing the 'Italianness' in their IT processes. Now just waiting for the tickets to be mailed to us, which I gather we'll have to print out and take with us on embarkation day!

24 minutes ago, kknb4082 said:

So we're about 3 weeks away from our first ever cruise, and getting excited!

We've done our online check-in already. It was not necessarily a smooth process, we filled in our personal information but couldn't get the website to take a photo. The system seemed to indicate that web check in could not be completed without a photo. I called our TA who said it was all fine on her system, that we were checked in, and she would send our tickets out 2 weeks before sailing. I subsequently found out that MSC staff tend to take photos at embarkation anyway, even if you have a photo uploaded already.

Anyway, we did manage to 'officially' check in using the mobile app which could take the selfies, and also added a payment card. Strangely, I got an email notification from MSC saying my card has been added to the account, but all in Italian. There's always Google Translate 🙂

We now have our boarding passes on the app (without a QR code which I guess arrives on the day). The embarkation time says 12:00-11:00 which has thrown the Other Half for a loop, expecting either 1200-1300 or 1100-1200.

Anyway, we are rolling with these little hiccups, embracing the 'Italianness' in their IT processes. Now just waiting for the tickets to be mailed to us, which I gather we'll have to print out and take with us on embarkation day!

Hi @kknb4082,

All sounds very normal for MSC, it doesn’t feel like it all works but it does. 

id just advise when you are on the boat the app will work differently and you will see your card is registered. Once my card didn’t register properly and it was difficult disembarking and went to guest services and there was a huge queue. If it doesn’t work there are machines around the atrium where you can register. 

Good luck and enjoy your cruise. 

We recently did this same cruise and arrived at the cruise terminal well-before our assigned hour. Didn't matter. No one looks at your assigned embarkation time. Just go in the terminal when you get there and join the queue to check-in.This has been the case with all of our MSC cruises in the past too.

If you're within 21 days of departure, you should be able to get and print your cruise docs (with bar codes) even if you couldn't input your credit card number and/or upload your photos. The docs should still generate and get emailed to you.

Sadly, it looks like I'll have to do a bit of work during my cruise, so I wanted to buy a WiFi package as they cost less than on board.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it. If I go the MSC for Me app, I click on the Things to Do where I can buy a Communication Package, but the page just tries to load the options and nothing happens.

If I try to buy the package online, on the MSC site, I get all the options of Wifi package, and if I select a 1 device option, it shows all the passengers who are eligible for the purchase, but I can't select the passenger, or add to cart, or complete the transaction in any way.

Can I call MSC to buy the package? Also, I gather silver Voyagers get a discount, is the online app smart enough to apply the discount automatically?

I can see why there is so much grumbling about MSC IT in this forum...

• 3 weeks later...

Right, so we are all set for tomorrow!

We've printed the tickets, forms and baggage tags (all 30+ pages of it). Checked in successfully online. A bit of last minute packing and that's it done. Kids are very excited!

Our embarkation time is 12:00 at Southampton. We're driving and leaving the car at the port. Our embarkation time is 12:00. If everything goes smoothly we can have lunch when we board. If boarding takes forever, we have snacks to tide us over 🙂

The website mentions something about being able to fill in forms ahead of time to register kids at the Kids Club. I couldn't find anything, but not worried, I'm sure we can register at the Club onboard.

I have been getting 'eUpgrade' emails once a week for the last couple of weeks but didn't bite. It appears from the website that the cruise is sold out anyway, there are no cabins available. Hardly surprising as it's 'half term' break for a lot of schools here.

I'll try to post updates when I can, but it certainly won't be a live trip report!

You Will have a wonderful Cruise, I will Be shure.

Euribia is a wonderful ship. Been there 2 times and 2 more booked for Euribia.

Be early for check in, you have paid for the first Day.

GOOD CRUISING

Enjoy your cruise! We'll be on Euribia March 15th.  I'm curious how the Northern seas are and if it will be rough. I know that is weather dependent of course! Let us know how it goes.

5 hours ago, kknb4082 said:

Right, so we are all set for tomorrow!

We've printed the tickets, forms and baggage tags (all 30+ pages of it). Checked in successfully online. A bit of last minute packing and that's it done. Kids are very excited!

Our embarkation time is 12:00 at Southampton. We're driving and leaving the car at the port. Our embarkation time is 12:00. If everything goes smoothly we can have lunch when we board. If boarding takes forever, we have snacks to tide us over 🙂

The website mentions something about being able to fill in forms ahead of time to register kids at the Kids Club. I couldn't find anything, but not worried, I'm sure we can register at the Club onboard.

I have been getting 'eUpgrade' emails once a week for the last couple of weeks but didn't bite. It appears from the website that the cruise is sold out anyway, there are no cabins available. Hardly surprising as it's 'half term' break for a lot of schools here.

I'll try to post updates when I can, but it certainly won't be a live trip report!

As you enter the boat you will receive a wrist band that you’d kids must wear at all times on board. Just head to the kids club and you will be given the form to fill out. You can head to the seats nearby to the back of ship and fill them out, take back and you will be all set up then. 

Have a great time.

It will only be a partial embarkation at Southampton as Euribia's winter schedule has embarkation  disembarkation at every port she visits on an almost continuous loop.   Every chance you will make lunch in the MDR and definitely in the Marketplace.    You definitely won't go short of food at any point in your cruise.

Enjoy.

Day 1

We arrived at the Horizon cruise terminal in Southampton bang on time at 12pm. Embarkation was very smooth. From dropping off our luggage to checking in to getting wristbands for the children, we were on board by 12:30.

We went straight to the MDR for lunch. It was busy but the service was efficient. Lunch was over by 2pm and our cabins were ready by that time. We dropped off our carry-ons and spent the afternoon exploring the ship. It was drizzling most of the afternoon so we stayed indoors mostly, doing 'important' things like registering the children for kids club, and moving our dinner seating from the late to the early one (which was easily done). The ship was busy, we later found out that about 3000 passengers boarded in Southampton.

We had dinner in the MDR. Again, dinner was busy but efficient. As we had the earlier seating it was not a suprise that every other table had children on it. After dinner we came back to the cabin to find our luggage had arrived, and the attendant had done the turndown service (and prepared the bunk beds).

We departed at 8pm, we hardly felt the ship move!

We went for a show at the theatre: 'Generation Rock', which was a 35 medley of various rock music. It was entertaining and our children loved it.

After the show, we came back to the cabin as the children were tired. We would have liked to catch the jazz show in the Carousel lounge later in the evening, but oh well. It was also White Night and there were quite a number of people who were dressed to impress.

All in all, an enjoyable first day.

• Like 1