I broke my little toe..shoe dilema...

:confused: I leave on the Sapphire on April first...last night I smacked my toe and bent it and cracked it on a table...It is black and blue and swollen..and hurts like heck...ok...what the heck am I going to wear on formal night..I just tried on my black shoes and cannot even begin to get my right foot in any of them..My DH is laughing himself silly..oh yes so funny...I hope the swelling goes down by then..Or i guess i will have on flip flops:eek: NOt the look I was going for. I called Kaiser and they said just to tape my toes together and try not to bump it...big help:confused:

Oh, no! I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. If you can find some cute ballet flats or something that are easier for you to wear, I think that'd be fine. The fashion police aren't going to stop you for not wearing heels :)

I hope your toe gets better though!

Take advil/motrin 4 times a day. It not only helps with the pain, but it also will help with the swelling. I took 800mg when I broke my toe. Taping your toe is really the only thing you can do. It does help, just in the fact it prevents your toe from flopping around and hurting more.

I found, after the first few days, that I felt better with a pair of closed toe shoes. (instead of sandals) It seemed to help "support" my toe and help the pain. I broke my little toe, so that may have had something to do with it.

As a former ballerina, I've broken my little toe more times than I care to remember and it is SO PAINFUL!!!

If you are anything like me, you will not be able to cram your foot in any kind of shoe because of the swelling. I suggest going to Payless and purchasing a couple pair of kitten heel flip flops.

Something like this maybe??

WhiteKitten2Lg.jpg

Thank you...hmmm they are cute...I like to try and wear hose sheer black ones for a more pulled together:p look...but I may not be able to....Might not be able to get the foot into any kind of shoe...I tried to put on a sneaker that is too big for me and ended up in tears...so i need to wear flip flops until i can find somthing today...maybe a mens type flip flop with socks...oh my..that sounds sexy..lol:eek: then I hope the swelling goes down before I have to go anywhere nice...Laurie

ladypalmtree - OUCH! I broke my little to once and will never forget what it felt like! Medical necessity trumps fasion - wear your fomal clothes and whatever shoes you can get on - black open sandals like birks or ballerina flats.

Really it is amazing how many nerve endings are in a little toe...I swear..I almost got sick to my stomache and everything kind of went black for a minute...ow:o

Is this the first time you've ever broken your little toe?

I bet I've done it at least 10 times.

Do not tape up your toe. It will cause more trauma to the toe.

Chances are your entire foot will turn black and blue. Mine always does.

If you just did this last night it is going to take you about 5-7 days before you'll be able to put a shoe on.

Keep in elevated and iced.

Stop trying to put on shoes.

Call your MD and get good drugs.

No I have broke this toe and the other little toe several times in my life....found some dorky flip flop things that are adjustable at the top..and I can wear socks...and at least I can walk around...I did call Kaiser and they said to tape it and take advil every four hours..and stay off of it..well..what mom can stay off of her foot...Not...and well..i could not function with the good drugs either:p the swelling went down a bit from the advil...thanks for the good advice..cheers!

OUCH! I was feeling pain just reading this! I sure do hope that you feel better before you leave, but if not, go with glittery flip flops. No sense in putting yourself through a night of pain...because you just wouldn't enjoy yourself.

On the very first day of our Tahitian Princess cruise I slipped on some idiot's babyoil suntan mixture (yes, even is this day and age there are people who still do that!) at the tile stairs going into the pool. Fortunately all I broke was my big toe - severely. I hobbled off to the infirmary and the Dr x-rayed it and said yes, it's really badly broken, but oh well, I'll tape it. He did an excellent job and offered me pain meds which I turned down. Motrin/Advil works OK. However, the fortunate thing is that I have a very narrow foot and all of my dressy shoes are the thong type as that is all that keeps my foot from going on through the end of the shoe. I have crystal embellished, sequin embellished, etc. (not tacky style flipflops), and they have heels no higher than 2" so I was able to wear something on my foot while I hobbled the rest of the cruise. Putting on my swim fins to go snorkeling was sheer torture, so I left them off.

I now always have a pair of "go with everything" sandals in my suitcase in case that same babyoil person strikes again!

Having broken my toes more times than I care to recall, I understand your pain!

Blueherons gives great advice...ice that baby and keep it elevated.

I have never taped my toes and I have broken all of them save my big toes (including several bones in my foot).

The swelling should go down by then, and you may be able to wear heels (especially if they are open toed) in the evenings if you are careful during the day.

I am always able to wear my heels again after about a week...but then again I refuse to wear flats any longer than I have to.

Hope it feels better soon and I certainly feel for you!

~e

Broke my 2nd toe...but went to two docs and no one did an X-ray! Walked on it for a month! ....during a cruise ...did the "boot", did the "cast" ...took 6 MONTHS to even get a release from the Doc...and it still hurts...don't rush it...we think we are still 20..(and I think most of us are not!?) and it takes A LONG time for this part of your body to heal! When I didn't know it was broken, but on the QM2 for a 12 day cruise..I was known as the "sock lady"...it was so swollen and hurt so much I couldn't hardly get a tennis shoe on that was not laced up! Trust me..take this VERY seriously!!! My foot still hurts, especially when I wear a "normal" shoe...just a dress shoe with a 1/2 inch heel! LuAnn

I am going to try for the heels that I have..but I am going to be prepared for anything..thanks..today after much icing and elevation..and motrin, the swelling is way down...the bruising is spreading across a few toes and the side of my foot..but feels much better. I actually broke the top of my foot a couple of years ago...was rolling a trash can full of bricks and dirt to the curb..hit a bump and it landed on my foot:eek: Well I did not go to the dr..because I was leaving for Vegas that day. I put up with the pain and when I finally got it xrayed....the Dr. said I would have to have it rebroken and booted..I did not..and still have clicking and pain..and the bruise never fully went away..I guess I have a pretty high pain threshold..Or I am just stupid:rolleyes: Thank you all for the help and advice..Laurie

Archived