Southern Hemisphere weather question

Hello experienced cruisers - we are taking a bucket list trip from Santiago to Buenos Aires this coming Feb/Mar.  Can anyone give me an idea of what weather fluctuations to expect between Chile and BUE via the Antarctic Peninsula?  I was somewhat surprised to see most ports of call register temps in the mid teens (C) / low 60's (F) for late February.  Does it get much colder as we pass the Drake Passage and down to the Antarctic peninsula?  I'd be happier not to be bringing too many outer layers if possible!  Many thanks.

We are currently on Splendor going around South America (but not Antarctica), right now in the Falklands. Weather has been spectacular, especially in the Chilean fjords. Mid-60s there, 50s in Ushuaia and Falklands. But remember, YMMV. Even the locals couldn’t believe the weather we were having. We have been to Antarctica before, expect temperatures around freezing, definitely need warmer layers there.

I did a BA to Santiago trip last year, early March. The above post aligns with our experience in the Falklands, etc.  but I would also stress how important it is to have LIGHT clothing for both ends of the trip. Our experience was Buenos Aires (low 90s) and Montevideo were much hotter than Santiago (80ish) but both warranted short sleeves and shorts in the daytime if you wanted to do much walking or anything outdoors at all.  We realized we packed much more options for the middle of the trip than for the start and end!

We did  this trip last Jan/Feb. It was warm/hot in BA and Uruguay. I got a slight sunburn when we were in the Falklands when we did a walking tour. In Antartica it was around freezing or just below.    The weather warmed up as we made our way to Santiago and was warm/hot in Santiago. We took a range of clothing from short sleeved tops and capris to heavy sweaters and a puffer jacket along with mittens and a toque to wear in Antartica. 

It was a trip of a life time. 

Have a great trip. 

On 1/5/2024 at 2:37 AM, ikelmay said:

Hello experienced cruisers - we are taking a bucket list trip from Santiago to Buenos Aires this coming Feb/Mar.  Can anyone give me an idea of what weather fluctuations to expect between Chile and BUE via the Antarctic Peninsula?  I was somewhat surprised to see most ports of call register temps in the mid teens (C) / low 60's (F) for late February.  Does it get much colder as we pass the Drake Passage and down to the Antarctic peninsula?  I'd be happier not to be bringing too many outer layers if possible!  Many thanks.

Sounds like we’re on the same cruise.  My wife and I are also trying to figure out the packing list.  We used to have decent lightweight layered winter gear when we lived in Colorado but after living in SC for the last decade we had to kind of restock.  We’ve found that ArcTeryx makes fantastic mids/shells that are warm but lightweight.  A bit pricey but nice gear.

On the plus side, we’re not going ashore so we won’t need crazy warm gear…but we still figure we’re gonna need more stuff than usual.  😁

I switched itineraries and now am booked on the 2February BsAs - San Antonio Chile itin. I also am struggling with what to pack.
I am going to give myself permission to way overpack for this trip…..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A great quebecois word used by canadians for a tight beanie hat.  As a kid back in england we'd have called them bobble hats.  I still haven't acquired the knack to putting the dratted thing on and off without my hair ending up like Albert Einstein's.

Edited by ikelmay
  • Haha 2