Crystal Caves info

FLtravelbum

Hi.  We're four adults arriving in Georgetown on NCL Escape 2/13/24.  We're interested in visiting the Crystal Caves but on our own instead of through the ship.  I know we can take the bus but I'd prefer not to do that.  Are taxis readily available to drop off and pick up from the caves?  What can we expect to pay for four of us?  I was reading $60-80 oneway but I'm not sure how many people that includes and if that's even updated info.  I won't go if we can't confirm a return trip obviously so that's what I'm trying to determine.  

I've read about CayTours and sent them an email but not sure how timely they are with responses.  Plus I'm afraid to book in advance if it's nonrefundable just in case something happens which is why I think booking a taxi day of is best.

Thoughts or advice? 

TIA

You would want something arranged in advance, either make arrangements for a driver for the day, an excursion, or at the very least make plans with your taxi on the way there to return to get you (get their phone number).  There will not likely be taxis hanging around in that area, and since it’s about 40 min from town it could take that long for a taxi to arrive to get you, if you can find one willing.

Personally, I’d get a rental car so you can control your own arrival and departure times, and guarantee that you can get back to the ship when you want to.

As a side note, your taxi fare each way, for four people from the cruise port to the caves, will be about $100 US plus tip.  You can rent a car for the day for way cheaper than $200.

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2024 at 12:02 PM, FLtravelbum said:

Hi.  We're four adults arriving in Georgetown on NCL Escape 2/13/24.  We're interested in visiting the Crystal Caves but on our own instead of through the ship.  I know we can take the bus but I'd prefer not to do that.  Are taxis readily available to drop off and pick up from the caves?  What can we expect to pay for four of us?  I was reading $60-80 oneway but I'm not sure how many people that includes and if that's even updated info.  I won't go if we can't confirm a return trip obviously so that's what I'm trying to determine.  

I've read about CayTours and sent them an email but not sure how timely they are with responses.  Plus I'm afraid to book in advance if it's nonrefundable just in case something happens which is why I think booking a taxi day of is best.

Thoughts or advice? 

TIA

Don't go with Cay Tours!!!! I just had the tour from hell with them. We left a half hour late because the bus was late. They combined our tour to St Pedro Thomas and the Botanical Gardens with the cave group. We passed both of our sites where we could have been dropped off, but instead he went to the caves. There, we had to wait for guides to be arranged because Cay told the Caves the wrong number. Then we FINALLY backtracked to the gardens, where we had half the time we should have. When we got to St Pedro Thomas, same kerfuffle about guides and scheduling. 

I wouldn't trust them again. I'm sorry now I didn't just suck it up and arrange a guide or taxi to the gardens. I was solo, so I didn't want to have to drive without a navigator and I didn't know how the satnav would be on my phone. Plus there's the whole driving on the left thing...

We did end up booking with Cay Tours for this.  There was confusion regarding our departure time and then a delay leaving the port was added on top of it.  We might have been on the same bus as you if you were there the same day.  I know they brought us all to the caves first and then they brought others that weren't doing the cave to their other destinations after.  The majority of the cave people took the bus directly back to port but we four had St. Pedro added to the trip so a separate driver was there to bring us to the castle.  We were worried about getting back to port in time since we were running late due to the morning issue but he made sure to give us a brief and personal shortened tour of the castle so we didn't miss our departure.  

While it started out rocky, he made up for it in the end.  No, we didn't get as much time at the castle but he did what we asked which was to make up for lost time and put our minds at ease about not missing the boat.

I'm sorry about your deal.  I would be mad too.  I noticed the bus driver passed the other two destinations and went straight to the caves but at the time I didn't realize that anyone on the bus wasn't doing the caves.  Perhaps had they been on time, they would've dropped you off first.  Not sure.  I know that the caves have set tour times so perhaps because we were running late he decided to go straight there first.  

In the end, it worked out for us even with the shortened castle tour but the company does lack organization and I'd probably use someone else next time too. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 1:31 PM, FLtravelbum said:

We did end up booking with Cay Tours for this.  There was confusion regarding our departure time and then a delay leaving the port was added on top of it.  We might have been on the same bus as you if you were there the same day.  I know they brought us all to the caves first and then they brought others that weren't doing the cave to their other destinations after.  The majority of the cave people took the bus directly back to port but we four had St. Pedro added to the trip so a separate driver was there to bring us to the castle.  We were worried about getting back to port in time since we were running late due to the morning issue but he made sure to give us a brief and personal shortened tour of the castle so we didn't miss our departure.  

While it started out rocky, he made up for it in the end.  No, we didn't get as much time at the castle but he did what we asked which was to make up for lost time and put our minds at ease about not missing the boat.

I'm sorry about your deal.  I would be mad too.  I noticed the bus driver passed the other two destinations and went straight to the caves but at the time I didn't realize that anyone on the bus wasn't doing the caves.  Perhaps had they been on time, they would've dropped you off first.  Not sure.  I know that the caves have set tour times so perhaps because we were running late he decided to go straight there first.  

In the end, it worked out for us even with the shortened castle tour but the company does lack organization and I'd probably use someone else next time too. 

It was Feb 14. There were 5 of us going to the gardens. Three from our ship, booked through shore excursions group. Two from a different ship, who had booked gardens, castle AND the blow hole, which they never got to see because the driver had to get us back for Zaandam's tender schedule. None of us got what we paid for.

We had only 30 minutes at the gardens. I wanted to see the blue iguana conservation center. I had to power-walk in that heat, but I got there. I was the only one of the 5 who saw the iguanas, but I had about 2 minutes to look at them and then rush back. 

At Pedro St James, we got there when a big bus load arrived (from our ship, ironically). They got to see the film, and the one and only guide was assigned to them. Our driver just stood around with no clue, so one of the group asked if we could just go and look at the house, which we did. The castle guide came to talk to us a little bit while the big group was seeing the film. I'm sure he was interesting, but the heat and the stress got to me and I felt sick. I told the driver I was going to the visitor center to get something to drink and I would wait there. The group came out shortly after that. I hope he didn't rush them because he was worried about me. I just needed to be somewhere cool and have something to drink--I had left my water bottle in the bus. 

If you were on the Feb 14 tour, I am so glad to hear you got back to your ship! When he said that someone would be back to pick you up, I worried that they would be late or not show at all, considering how bad the day had been up to that point. 

Here's how low Cay sinks. I did a review on Tripadvisor. I read the other reviews of the gardens and castle tour. Most people seem to be reviewing the gardens, not Cay's tour. One person said they rented a car and it was lovely to see the place at their leisure. Cay replied to thank them for the good review. If they had a rental car, you know they didn't take the tour with Cay, but Cay took credit for their visit to the gardens. Shameless.