Dolphin encounter in Cozumel

We will be on the Grandeur later this month. Our tour in Cozumel is the dolphin encounter. Has anyone been on this tour? I would like to know if they provide a place to change clothes and also a place to keep valuables. Can you wear sun glasses?

May I add a question as I am also on the dolphin encounter/ride tour on 29th January in Cozumel. I read somewhere that you must remove all jewellery. Does this include wedding bands (that no longer fit over my knuckle!)?

3 hours ago, cruisevirgin24 said:

May I add a question as I am also on the dolphin encounter/ride tour on 29th January in Cozumel. I read somewhere that you must remove all jewellery. Does this include wedding bands (that no longer fit over my knuckle!)?

You should deal with this before you go for other reasons, before they have to cut it off of you.  

• Haha 1

They have a Dolphin Encounter at Chankanaab Park.  If this is the one you are going to then yes, they have a bathhouse with lockers, showers, snorkel gear rental.  After the Encounter you might choose to put on mask and flippers and enjoy the beautiful reef life just a step down from the beach.  Yep, stairs down onto the reef.  Or you might choose tequila at the palapa bar.....😎

We passed the dolphin encounter (or whatever they call it) recently in Costa Maya, and seeing those poor animals in that dirty water and small pool (that's torture for them) with drooling tourists made me sick to my stomach. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

We passed the dolphin encounter (or whatever they call it) recently in Costa Maya, and seeing those poor animals in that dirty water and small pool (that's torture for them) with drooling tourists made me sick to my stomach. 

I am with you on this.  Have never done one.  The encounter at Chankanaab Park is in the open ocean protected area and is "fenced" in.  Same captivity but clean water.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GMIAC said:

We saw the one at Costa Maya last year and were horrified as well.  But have seen plenty of open ocean pens used at other places.  These tend to be the places which are very strict about what you can wear (no watches, jewelry, certain suntan lotions, etc).

On 1/7/2024 at 1:50 PM, thomastoo said:

We will be on the Grandeur later this month. Our tour in Cozumel is the dolphin encounter. Has anyone been on this tour? I would like to know if they provide a place to change clothes and also a place to keep valuables. Can you wear sun glasses?

Jack and Barbara, we look forward to seeing you on this excursion. Less than 3 weeks to go!

I researched the venue prior to booking to ensure it was open ocean.

Whilst I agree keeping wild animals in captivity is sad, these dolphins would be unable to live independently in the wild and therefore I feel my "donation" will help to feed and care for them in captivity for the remainder of their lives. I eat meat and those animals are kept in captivity, often in poor conditions.

I dread to think how much wildlife has been killed in the past by cruise ships dumping trash and dirty fuel (in the days before this was regulated). 

Let's not begin to think about the entire species wiped out by global warming, not helped by us all travelling thousands of miles by plane and ship.....

Posted (edited)

Respectfully, raising and eating meat for survival is much different than keeping animals caged for our elective entertainment. These animals are completely able to live "on their own in the wild," and it's been proven that keeping these intelligent creatures (that express and feel emotions not unlike humans) penned, even in "open water" cages is pure and unrelenting torture to them. They perform for food. I wouldn't fool myself into thinking that we're doing them some kind favor. 

Edited by GMIAC
  • Like 3

If you are stopping in Roatan I highly recommend the Dolphin trip at that port. It s held at a beautiful resort surrounded by small islands that ring a cove where the dolphins are. They are free to leave but most stay because of the food. The groups are small… singles or couple who each have their own handler…we had 6 handlers and 11 people with us. You bus to the resort and then take a small boat to one of the islands . It is set up with a changing area. Then you go with your guide to the beach and  into the water. The dolphins come to the guide and you can interact with them. Our dolphin had a baby she watched like a hawk. The beach and water are pristine IMG_0676.thumb.jpeg.f6f026af8536e33cb783843e86a0be60.jpegIMG_0675.thumb.jpeg.02923b2ac9c0b02619df8c205d32d32d.jpegIMG_0674.thumb.jpeg.5d3b8b8f6f9842a82db1f9c6bb05395e.jpegIMG_0670.thumb.jpeg.bc3d282d1e444902d1e98d12ae10ae32.jpegIMG_0660.thumb.jpeg.09145962ba3910737982dfbd640f4169.jpeg and the area is huge. No guilt trip here just a great learning experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cwn said:

If you are stopping in Roatan I highly recommend the Dolphin trip at that port. It s held at a beautiful resort surrounded by small islands that ring a cove where the dolphins are. They are free to leave but most stay because of the food. The groups are small… singles or couple who each have their own handler…we had 6 handlers and 11 people with us. You bus to the resort and then take a small boat to one of the islands . It is set up with a changing area. Then you go with your guide to the beach and  into the water. The dolphins come to the guide and you can interact with them. Our dolphin had a baby she watched like a hawk. The beach and water are pristine IMG_0676.thumb.jpeg.f6f026af8536e33cb783843e86a0be60.jpegIMG_0675.thumb.jpeg.02923b2ac9c0b02619df8c205d32d32d.jpegIMG_0674.thumb.jpeg.5d3b8b8f6f9842a82db1f9c6bb05395e.jpegIMG_0670.thumb.jpeg.bc3d282d1e444902d1e98d12ae10ae32.jpegIMG_0660.thumb.jpeg.09145962ba3910737982dfbd640f4169.jpeg and the area is huge. No guilt trip here just a great learning experience.

Thank you very much for the recommendation. I have now booked this excursion! 

HAVING BEEN ON SPLENDOR LAST YEAR TO COZUMEL ,I WOULD NEVER GO ON THESE dDOLPHIN ENCOUNTERS,DUE TO INHUMAN TREATMENT  AND WHO WANTS TO SEE THESE BEAUTIFUL ANIMALS IN  CAPTIVITY🥲