Great Island Car Rentals- Cobh

Has anyone rented a car from Great Island Car Rentals in Cobh before? There is very little info on line about them and the few reviews that ae there are very mixed! The cars are pricey and non-refundable, so I don't want to book unless I'm sure they are a legit company. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be many car rental options here,so if anyone has stopped in Cobh before and had luck with a car rental (good or bad), I would be interested in hearing about your experience!

TIA!

I have never rented from them, but they are a legitimate business.

Also do note that car rental in very, very expensive in Ireland, specially for 1 day rentals.  Insurance costs are horrendous and rentals are high risk as we drive on the 'wrong side' of the road for a lot of renters.

Another option would be to take the train to Cork city and rent from Hertz, which is located very close to the train station.

20 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I have never rented from them, but they are a legitimate business.

Also do note that car rental in very, very expensive in Ireland, specially for 1 day rentals.  Insurance costs are horrendous and rentals are high risk as we drive on the 'wrong side' of the road for a lot of renters.

Another option would be to take the train to Cork city and rent from Hertz, which is located very close to the train station.

Thank you so much for this insight and for verifying they are legit! I did note they were quite costly for a one day 8 hour rental. The Hertz in Cork City is half the price. I guess it comes down to the convenience factor vs. taking the train and a cheaper cost. Either way, we are only wanting to visit Killarney for the day and finding that a simple transport up there and back is not as easy as it should be. We have visited Cork before and done the Blarney stone, Kinsale, etc. so Killarney seemed like a different option!

Killarney is a bit meh, these days.  Without making a political post, can I just mention that Ireland has had a huge influx of immigrants in the last few years some from Ukraine and more from other non-eu countries.  These people all require 'processing' and accommodations which are provided by the Irish Government.  As the Government did not have available accommodations they pay various organisation for the accommodations, including hotel owners.  The rate of payment is good enough that it pays hotel owners in seasonal areas to take in the immigrants in the off season and continue through the peak seasons.  This has lead to a shortage of hotel accommodation in many parts of Ireland.  Killarney being a major tourist town with a short peak season and having many hotels is one of the towns which has accepted many immigrants.  As less tourists travel to the town it is having a knock on effect on other businesses, as the immigrants do not have available cash or interest to keep the local businesses open.

Personnally, we have a very favourte hotel in Killarney were we go to celebrate special birthdays and even just for a nice weekend........we have not gone there in over a year now.

Perhaps consider somewhere other than Killarney? 

That's certainly an interesting perspective that I had not heard about. It definitely makes sense though. We ended up booking a tour with a private guide as I was just too leery of the car rental place. I will certainly ask him about this as well. Thanks again for all your help!

1 hour ago, mgcharleston said:

That's certainly an interesting perspective that I had not heard about. It definitely makes sense though. We ended up booking a tour with a private guide as I was just too leery of the car rental place. I will certainly ask him about this as well. Thanks again for all your help!

If time permits, may I suggest the West Cork area, visiting Bantry and Glengarrif for Garnish Island and Gougane Barra.

2022-07-17.thumb.jpg.aee1656e01ed9ca8e4220a092f081546.jpg

Edited by VMax1700

21 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

If time permits, may I suggest the West Cork area, visiting Bantry and Glengarrif for Garnish Island and Gougane Barra.

2022-07-17.thumb.jpg.aee1656e01ed9ca8e4220a092f081546.jpg

Wow! What an unexpected surprise. Thanks VMax!

I will definitely check into that area- it was not even on my radar before...  🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also looking into Great Island Car Rentals and wondering if we should take the chance on a non-major company.  The train into Cork and the Hertz location right next to the station sounds tempting, but according to the website you can't return the car there.  You have to return it to the Cork City Centre and make you way back to the port.  I have no clue how difficult that would be.

4 hours ago, frisbeewife said:

according to the website you can't return the car there.  You have to return it to the Cork City Centre

I was not aware of that condition.  Can you post a link of where it is shown on the website?

13 hours ago, frisbeewife said:

The train into Cork and the Hertz location right next to the station sounds tempting, but according to the website you can't return the car there.  You have to return it to the Cork City Centre and make you way back to the port.  I have no clue how difficult that would be.

A quick look on Google Maps, to look at the details in the pop-up posted by Cotswold Eagle, suggests that Cork Railway Station is itself on Lower Glanmire Road. So it won't take much research.

Stupid me misread the post and I thought it was Great Island Motors that required the car return to Lower Glanmire Road. 🤔🙄.

Anyway, as @Globalisersays the Hertz location is on the Lower Glanmire Road, just next door to the train station.  I have rented from there several times and can only guess that because of the recent traffic management changes in the area that pickup has been moved to an adjacent site.

I would have no worries with the locations.

We had a one day rental from Great Island last August. We were quite happy with their service. Pick up and drop off right at the port.( They bring you to their nearby office/gas station where you fill out paperwork and get car and  drop  it off, they drive you back to port ) Our goal was the Ringfinnan Memorial Garden near Kinsale. I don't recall what we spent, but I don't believe it was anymore than an excursion would cost for the 2 of us. By the way, I had difficulty trying to book for just one day on their website so wound up calling "Ray" at 0214811609. I had some apprehension, but all worked out fine