Hammock - VV vs. Buying one online

tbmrt

I was thinking of purchasing a hammock on our next cruise with our extra loot,  but didn't want to carry it home.  I wrote Yellow Leaf and saw their wide selection of hammocks.  

Asked them which was closest to the VV hammock. Their response:

These hammocks are made specially for VV.  Have to follow special regulations to meet maritime law and are made to fit the cabins on board. The yarn that is used is fireproof, so it is not something we carry as part of our standard line. I am so sorry about that!

Has anyone purchased a hammock from Yellow Leaf?  If so, what type and are you happy with it?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

We purchased a Yellow Leaf hammock from Amazon (have prime, saved the postage). We attempted to purchase one on the ship, but on our first two cruises, they were "out of stock" in the sundries shop.  They did give us a card with the contact info.

As you noted, the hammocks are available in at least 2 sizes (one person and 2 person) in a variety of colors.  We are very pleased with the product.  Our choice was a one person hammock and an appropriate stand that can be used indoors or outdoors.  It is now about a year old and I have washed it once  (basically rinsed it off following the instructions included. The one we selected is partially cream colored; I still don't know if it was discoloring naturally, picking up dye from clothing, or whatever and it really doesn't look different after the cleaning but it made me feel better.  It is in good shape and works fine.   It is a bit larger than the ones on the ship, but that's hard to assess as they sort of spread out as you use them.  It comes in a very small package, compressed so that it wouldn't take much suitcase space or weight IF the ship happened to have it in stock.   The only downside is that using it in the house is not nearly as nice as having the ocean breezes on the balcony.  Using it on the patio in good weather is nicer, but still not as great as the balcony on the ship.

We did notice on our last cruise that the one on the balcony was showing evidence of fading and a few worn areas...but it is constantly exposed to sun and sea air.

IF I could have gotten one on the ship, I would have as that would have been "free" with the extra loot we had...but as I said, I've never seen them in stock to purchase on the ship.  They only had two person size in one color on the during our cruise, and only one of those!  The person in the shop was very helpful though.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1

We bought on the ship back in 2021 and very happy with the hammock. Ours is white, mint green and black stripes. Only noticeable difference to the one on the balcony is that the ends to the loops are shorter, but we needed to buy straps to hang it from our pergola anyway.

• Like 1

We have an all red one we bought with loot onboard Scarlett in 2021, it also has a special “Virgin Voyages” tag on it, the red ones did.  It is a double hammock.  That’s the size they said they used onboard.  We hung it from the ceiling of our screened in deck, it is always occupied lol.  We love it.  
We thought it was exactly the same as onboard, but when we went in 2022, we noticed the material onboard is much thicker.  So probably what they were talking about having to meet regulations.  

We bought another one in 2023 with loot again, it’s green/black/white.  Probably going to put it on the other corner of the deck.  Yellow leaf does sell like a traveling hammock holder like device for about $400.  Thought about taking that to my sons lax game to sit in, but don’t think I could get out of it fast enough if a ball came flying at me lol

They have always had a bunch in stock onboard when we have gone.

THe price on board was irrelevant to us as there were never any in stock.  Amazon was the same price as Yellow Leaf, but by going thru Amazon, our Prime membership took care of the shipping cost.  Interesting to hear that the ship charges more.   Still....if you have extra loot....

19 hours ago, scubagal44 said:

I have the Yellow Leaf chair hammock that I got on Amazon for much cheaper than they wanted on the ship. I use it outside and it's perfect. 

what is the price onboard?

10 minutes ago, herdfans4 said:

what is the price onboard?

I believe on my first sailing in Oct 2022 it was around $250.  I didn't bother to check on my Oct 2023 sailing since I no longer needed to buy one, so I have no idea if the price has gone up or down.  I got it on Amazon for $160.

On 1/10/2024 at 1:07 PM, scubagal44 said:

I believe on my first sailing in Oct 2022 it was around $250.  I didn't bother to check on my Oct 2023 sailing since I no longer needed to buy one, so I have no idea if the price has gone up or down.  I got it on Amazon for $160.

Any tips on buying a chair holder for it that is good quality but not horribly expensive?

I bought one over a year ago direct from yellow hammock. Its greens, blues and yellow..  When my husband ripped the hammock due to having his keys on his belt they still replaced it for no charge.  

Might be pricey but their customer service is top notch and its a fabulous addition to my side patio.

Edited by 3eaglesfam
Mispelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1