Dock or Tender in Cozumel

impcinder

I've quickly scanned the threads but I didn't find an answer. Sorry, if it's a duplicate question!

We will be in Cozumel the end of July, what is the docking situation? Any possibility the dock will be repaired?

Last I heard, Carnival's Puerta Maya Pier would not be completed until 2008. All ships will probably be tendering passengers in for a long, long time since all three piers were destroyed.:(

Last I heard, Carnival's Puerta Maya Pier would not be completed until 2008. All ships will probably be tendering passengers in for a long, long time since all three piers were destroyed.:(

Cotton, I haven't heard much recently but in October I did hear 18 months... sounds like they may have been a little optimistic :( Such a shame... Here's hoping that with the increased tourism, that they can get it back up and running sooner than anticipated... I know not having the piers is hurting them... just so sad.

Yep. My sister was on an RCI cruise a coupla weeks ago. They tendered into the San Miguel area. She said it was very frustrating waiting so long for the tenders, both coming and going.:(

We were on the Elation last month and tendered in to Cozumel They told us it would be at least 2008 before the repairs are finished. It didn't look like much progress was being made - parts of the destroyed dock were still sticking out of the water. Tendering in went pretty smooth - but we waited until after general tendering was called to get off the ship (didn't have a shore excursion planned). The line to get back to the ship was LLOOONNNGGGG, we probably waited an hour in line to get a tender.

We were on the Elation last month and tendered in to Cozumel They told us it would be at least 2008 before the repairs are finished. It didn't look like much progress was being made - parts of the destroyed dock were still sticking out of the water. Tendering in went pretty smooth - but we waited until after general tendering was called to get off the ship (didn't have a shore excursion planned). The line to get back to the ship was LLOOONNNGGGG, we probably waited an hour in line to get a tender.

LOL, then you did good! We waited longer than that in Grand Cayman, and they don't have nearly the problems or traffic Coz has!! Never schedule 2 large ships to leave at the same time... nightmare!!!!!!

There is a Fat Tuesdays (I think that's what it was called) the the right of where you stand in line for the tenders. You can probably buy water there. It was pretty hot out the day we were there. Bring extra sunscreen just for line standing!

better take that umbrella along then - there is no such thing as shade until the last 50 ft or so in the tender line. In fact, there isn't much shade on Cozumel anymore - the hurricane sheared off most of the palm trees so they are only about 6-7 ft tall now.

Attached is a pic (I hope - lol)

ph-10253.jpg.d21ebccf5075f4867f9aa5ecc07d0414.jpg

and here is where the line was - all down this street of shops (I took the pic when we first arrived.

[ATTACH]18828[/ATTACH]

Nice picture and I know this is off topic, but how did you get the photo in your response? An attachment? Web link? I could probably eventually figure it out but thought I would ask someone who obviously has the answer!

Impcinder-

We just returned from the Conquest 3-19 and only waited 10 minutes to board the tender in Cozumel. The last tender left at 5pm and we arrived about 4:15 at the ferry pier. There were 3 ships in port that day. Our tender process was so much smoother in Cozumel than Grand Cayman. Both ports we had independant tours. We received our tender tickets in Mexico at 9:15 and were on the boat by 10am. In the Caymans, we were had tender tickets at 7:15 and reached the island at 9am. I think it was running behind due to customs boardind our ship 30 minutes late and Carnival having to make up time for ship sponserd excursions. We arrived at the return Cayman tender about 2:20 and waited 45 minutes to board the tender. It was so busy in Georgetown - 6 ships in port (over 15,000 people). Our ship left later than scheduled because passengers were still tendering until the time we were supposed to leave. Maybe the time you wait depends on the time everyone else gets back and the amount of ships are in port. Bring your water with you, wear a hat, visit with the people around you and be patient. The last 3 times we visited Cozumel was much easier not tendering, but it would not stop us from visiting this destination. Just hearsay - but the taxi driver estimated at least a year before the piers are finished. This did give our family a different experience as we probably would have not visited the town square (a Mexican institution with shops and restuarants surrounding it). Our boys said this was there favorite island.

We were there on the 17th on Mariner. We tendered into the International Pier area. The process was extremely slow, mostly because the tenders took forever to load and unload. The actual trip took less than 5 minutes, but it was at least 45 minutes from the time we boarded until we got ashore, and even longer coming back. The tenders into Grand Cayman were much faster.

Nice picture and I know this is off topic, but how did you get the photo in your response? An attachment? Web link? I could probably eventually figure it out but thought I would ask someone who obviously has the answer!

if you look at the top of the box where you type your reply (regular reply, not the quick response) you will see a paper clip icon. Click that, browse your pc for your attachment and hit upload. when you close the window after upload is finished just hit the paperclip again and it shows the files you uploaded

Simple solution. Go to Fat Tuesday's. Sit inside with a cold drink and air-conditioning. Watch the herd lined up at the pier. watch that line slowly dwindle down. When the line is way down, just stroll out and stand there for a minute or two. I honestly don't know why people freak otu and wait in long lines when it comes close to time for a ship to leave. The ship MAY leave passengers who are extremely late getting back to the tenders but they aren't going to leave with a line of people sitting on the dock waiting to catch a ride to the boat. You're on vacation! Waiting in lines is not in the job description if you don't want it to be.

We were there last week on the Expolorer, and I don't see those piers being finished anytime soon. They are pretty much rebar and chunks of concrete sticking out of the water, and that's debri from the old pier, not nw construction. Tendering wasn't too bad. The lines moved quickly, just the loading and unloading that took awhile because they hold a couple of hundred people on them.

if you look at the top of the box where you type your reply (regular reply, not the quick response) you will see a paper clip icon. Click that, browse your pc for your attachment and hit upload. when you close the window after upload is finished just hit the paperclip again and it shows the files you uploaded

Thanks much!

There's a recent reply/post about the pier in Cozumel...see "Pier Opening" post...RCCL pier supposed to open in late May; others not for a long time...post gives more info. I'll be there in late April and follow up with more info if others don't add to the info by then.

Archived