How late can you add Carnival Vacation Protection

Ideb

My cruise is still 2 months away and I realized I never added the insurance. I'm fully planning on going on the cruise but I always have the worry that if something were to happen, I would be out what I paid for the cruise if I don't get some sort of insurance. I'm not really worried about it for the medical aspect. If I add the Carnival insurance and something unforeseen were to happen right before the trip would the insurance still work or would I have had to added it before the final payment date? I've read through the policy that Carnival has on their website but I haven't been able to find this information.

49 minutes ago, Ideb said:

My cruise is still 2 months away and I realized I never added the insurance. I'm fully planning on going on the cruise but I always have the worry that if something were to happen, I would be out what I paid for the cruise if I don't get some sort of insurance. I'm not really worried about it for the medical aspect. If I add the Carnival insurance and something unforeseen were to happen right before the trip would the insurance still work or would I have had to added it before the final payment date? I've read through the policy that Carnival has on their website but I haven't been able to find this information.

On Holland America (a Carnival subsidiary), the answer is WHENEVER PENALTIES BEGIN TO ACCRUE. This can be the day you put a non-refundable deposit down (the deposit would be lost aka a penalty). Normally it is Final Payment Date (for a refundable deposit). BUT it can be earlier, as for a longer costly cruise. For our upcoming Hawaii and Tahiti cruise, penalty phase began about a month before final payment date. 

I'm guessing that someone on your Roll Call or on the Carnival board would know how CCL handles their cancellation protection. 

However, someone on this forum might be able to tell you if and how you can protect yourself at this late date.

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

On Holland America (a Carnival subsidiary), the answer is WHENEVER PENALTIES BEGIN TO ACCRUE. This can be the day you put a non-refundable deposit down (the deposit would be lost aka a penalty). Normally it is Final Payment Date (for a refundable deposit). BUT it can be earlier, as for a longer costly cruise. For our upcoming Hawaii and Tahiti cruise, penalty phase began about a month before final payment date. 

I'm guessing that someone on your Roll Call or on the Carnival board would know how CCL handles their cancellation protection. 

However, someone on this forum might be able to tell you if and how you can protect yourself at this late date.

The final payment date was December 17, so does that mean it would be pointless to add the Carnival Vacation Protection now? I wonder why they still offer it on my booking if it wouldn't work if needed? 

You may want to look into third party insurance - not through the cruise line as it often is a better value.

The broker 'InsureMyTrip' has a current Q&A subforum, and the broker 'Trip Insurance Store' is a frequent contributor on this forum.

You will want to visit their web sites for information - then call them and speak with someone at the brokerage to see what is your best fit on insurance.

I'm pretty sure it's too late to get CFAR insurance through a third party insurance. My concern is only that I can rebook the trip if something were to happen at the last minute, say a road closure or bad weather on the way to the port. With Carnival insurance they will allow you to get 75 percent of your money back or rebook another cruise. My question is does Carnival have a cut off date that this insurance will work. If they do, why is it still possible to purchase the insurance?

4 hours ago, Ideb said:

My question is does Carnival have a cut off date that this insurance will work. If they do, why is it still possible to purchase the insurance?

If it's available (on the web?) then snap it up! None of us seem to know Carnival in particular. 

Remember you will not get back the cost of the CFAR, or 25% percent of your fare (but "taxes and fees" would come back to you). So look at it (quickly) as $XX to protect $XXX and decide.

ETA: Call Carnival.

PS build a day or TWO into your travel time.

Edited by crystalspin

I believe the ship has sailed regarding CFAR.  I think for most insurances, you have a very short window to purchase insurance and have that included.  Isn't it something like within a week of making your deposit?  But although you can't cancel just because you don't feel like going and have insurance reimburse you, a number of other more unexpected situations would be covered.  There's also usually a lookback of something like 60 days regarding any pre-existing conditions.  I'd call the knowledgeable folks at Trip Insurance Store and ask them for advice.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vagabond Knight said:

I believe the ship has sailed regarding CFAR.  I think for most insurances, you have a very short window to purchase insurance and have that included.

Holland America Cancellation Protection (CFAR) can be bought up until Penalties start; for refundable deposits that is normally Final Payment date. For nonrefundable, on paying the deposit! So the window may be a year-and-a-half, to zilch -- you have to buy it with the deposit if non-refundable. 

As far as the medical insurance included with (only) the Platinum Cancellation Protection, it does not have a pre-existing condition exclusion.

I think you are muddling third-party medical insurance with cruiseline-provided CFAR?