Child using Princess App to message mom (me)?

Greytgrey

I'm traveling with my 9-year-old soon, and he sleeps a lot later than I do. My plan was to get out on deck and walk around in the mornings and tell him to message me through the Princess app when he wakes up so I could come back. I was trying to set up an account for him, but it says you have to be 18 to set up an account.

Has anyone had luck with installing the app for their kids to use without setting up a full Princess account? Thank you!

1 hour ago, Greytgrey said:

I'm traveling with my 9-year-old soon, and he sleeps a lot later than I do. My plan was to get out on deck and walk around in the mornings and tell him to message me through the Princess app when he wakes up so I could come back. I was trying to set up an account for him, but it says you have to be 18 to set up an account.

Has anyone had luck with installing the app for their kids to use without setting up a full Princess account? Thank you!

Just use WhatsApp instead of the Princess app. It will give you an audible alert just like a text would. It's free but you will need an internet plan for both.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Just use WhatsApp instead of the Princess app. It will give you an audible alert just like a text would. It's free but you will need an internet plan for both.

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that iMessage might work on Princess and a few other cruise lines without paying for an internet package. Is that still a thing? If so, OP could do that if they both have iphones.

Edited by 1412p0oi

when you register to get ready for the cruise you can say weather you allow your child to use the app.  If you do then they can download it and use it.  Our boys have used it the last three cruises we were on, it was nice to be able to look and see where they were on the app but honestly the texting through the app does not work all that well as there is no signal that you have a new message so for us using other apps to text worked better.

• Thanks 1

On the app, all people in your party should be able to be seen. All the child would need is the app and booking number I would think.  Haven't been on ship with new app yet to know about messaging, but if it doesn't they should still at least be able to see where you are, and if you feel they are responsible enough they could come to you.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 4:25 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Thanks for the suggestion. We're not getting full wifi while on board. In fact, one of the draws of this vacation is that I won't be available to the "real world" for a full week! 🙂

On 1/12/2024 at 4:37 PM, 1412p0oi said:

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that iMessage might work on Princess and a few other cruise lines without paying for an internet package. Is that still a thing? If so, OP could do that if they both have iphones.

His is an iPad, so I'm not sure this would work, but it's good to know for the future! 

On 1/12/2024 at 4:37 PM, roobug said:

when you register to get ready for the cruise you can say weather you allow your child to use the app.  If you do then they can download it and use it.  Our boys have used it the last three cruises we were on, it was nice to be able to look and see where they were on the app but honestly the texting through the app does not work all that well as there is no signal that you have a new message so for us using other apps to text worked better.

Interesting... I've done everything, but don't remember that. I'll go back through and see if I missed something. Also, I have read that it doesn't notify you, but if it's morning and he's in the room alone, I'll know that I need to check every little bit to see if he's woken up.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:13 PM, DHP1 said:

iMessage does work on ships provided you have internet connection   I used it all the time. 

Thanks. We aren't getting internet on board.

12 hours ago, Moondogy said:

On the app, all people in your party should be able to be seen. All the child would need is the app and booking number I would think.  Haven't been on ship with new app yet to know about messaging, but if it doesn't they should still at least be able to see where you are, and if you feel they are responsible enough they could come to you.

Cool. I'll try that. I'm not telling him until a few days before we go, so will have to try to get it up and running quickly.

• Like 1

Here's the correct answer:

Child can log in onboard with their name and booking number to use the ship intranet. Then they can use the all features on the app, including texting and locating you. 

We're disembarked B2B a week ago, and the new app worked well for both these features with children (who don't have their own Princess login due to age).

Edited by startedwithamouse